Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
S/O chol hamoed with limited ingredients!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:36 pm
Didn't want to hijack the other post so posting here. It's the first time were making pesach too, but while I think I am going to be able to use my stove and oven, I won't have many ingredients to choose from.

Here's the guidelines:
No dairy, no chicken, no spices, no gwbroks, no potato starch, (I assume it's given that there's no quinoa!)
Yes: oil, salt, sugar, peelABLE vegetables and fruit, meat, eggs, and fish. (I don't like eggs without cheese, and I never eat fish, but I would consider making something the rest of the family could eat)

I also don't want to make extremely heavy meals. I was thinking of shepherd's pie, pepper steak, and goulash (though I have no idea how I'm going to do that with my limited pantry!) But I'm still missing one more meal.

If anyone is used to cooking with these restrictions, or has ideas, please let me know!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:15 pm
amother wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the other post so posting here. It's the first time were making pesach too, but while I think I am going to be able to use my stove and oven, I won't have many ingredients to choose from.

Here's the guidelines:
No dairy, no chicken, no spices, no gwbroks, no potato starch, (I assume it's given that there's no quinoa!)
Yes: oil, salt, sugar, peelABLE vegetables and fruit, meat, eggs, and fish. (I don't like eggs without cheese, and I never eat fish, but I would consider making something the rest of the family could eat)

I also don't want to make extremely heavy meals. I was thinking of shepherd's pie, pepper steak, and goulash (though I have no idea how I'm going to do that with my limited pantry!) But I'm still missing one more meal.

If anyone is used to cooking with these restrictions, or has ideas, please let me know!

shepherd's pie, pepper steak and goulash sound good.

you can also do skirt steak salad, meatballs in sauteed veggies over mashed potatoes, pan seared tilapia with french fries, baked salmon and sweet potatoes, baked vegetable fritatta or potato...

make sure to use olive oil, onion, red onion (garlic if accepable makes a huge difference), fresh ginger, salt and a pinch of sugar so that everything is well seasoned. to start a nice colored saute, saute onion and carrots first to get a nice hue, then continue with the rest.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:40 pm
Thanks! Do you have a recipe or even just a list of what to put in for meatballs in sauteed vegetables? Which vegetables?? (Yes, fresh garlic is allowed because you can peel it! :-) )

Oh and no tomatoes. Fil said they can't be peeled!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:51 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! Do you have a recipe or even just a list of what to put in for meatballs in sauteed vegetables? Which vegetables?? (Yes, fresh garlic is allowed because you can peel it! :-) )

Oh and no tomatoes. Fil said they can't be peeled!

You don't need tomatoes for meatballs (though fyi, they sell special peelers for tomatoes).
Saute whatever you have and brown the meatballs in the sautee then serve over mashed potatoes. I like onion, garlic, carrot, mushroom (you can skip if it's too hard to peel), zucchini, sometimes tomato at the very end.

You can also do a parve mock chopped liver.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:55 pm
My parents have similar restrictions ( they do use dairy though) and of course you can peel tomatoes! Use a sharp knife tip gently cut an x in the bottom of the tomato. Let it sit in boiling hot water for a few minutes, plunge into ice water till cool. Use the knife starting by the x and you will see a thin skin slip off. ( works for peaches and nectarines too).
Tomatoes are great for flavoring things, as are citrus fruits, Carmelized onions are great as well.
Btw my parents don't use garlic; nothing to do w peeling it. Not sure why though.

ROFL

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:15 pm
You can peel squash and make spilarized squash to look like spaghetti with meatballs.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:30 pm
Peppers peel too if you cook them until burned on all sides (I stick them right by the fire and turn them right when turn black). Then put in a closed bag, so the steam separates the burnt peel from the actual pepper. Very flavorful. Makes a good salad with olive oil and spice, or a good addition to other foods.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:35 pm
studying_torah wrote:
My parents have similar restrictions ( they do use dairy though) and of course you can peel tomatoes! Use a sharp knife tip gently cut an x in the bottom of the tomato. Let it sit in boiling hot water for a few minutes, plunge into ice water till cool. Use the knife starting by the x and you will see a thin skin slip off. ( works for peaches and nectarines too).
Tomatoes are great for flavoring things, as are citrus fruits, Carmelized onions are great as well.
Btw my parents don't use garlic; nothing to do w peeling it. Not sure why though.
[b]

I think this Minhag has something to do with garlic used to be stored in wheat or wheat flour. Don't take my word for it, but it's something along those lines.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:40 pm
OP here. I KNOW tomatoes peel. But FIL insists they don't. And since he's the transmitter of the mesorah, there will be no tomatoes. Or peppers. But we use lettuce. Don't ask me to explain that either!

Hey, it could be worse. We could have to use meat fat instead of oil....

(oh, yeah... did I mention we also squeeze our own juice - but we buy grape juice and wine. Twisted Evil )

Sometimes it's hard to accept mesorah as straight mesorah when you marry into a family. But I'm going to do my best to keep it properly!

MamaBear

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:43 pm
Who does the cooking on his side? Is there someone to ask for ideas?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:50 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Who does the cooking on his side? Is there someone to ask for ideas?

My mil. But a) she has a tendency to changing recipes as she goes along and forgets all about it b) she does a little bit of this and that but she doesn't remember what the this was... so much so that I once watched her "follow" a recipe, wrote it down, and she has called me on more than one occasion to ask me how she makes her Pesach salmon!!! (so at least that one recipe I have)

Oh yeah... and she doesn't know what type of meat she uses cuz fil does the order and she can't find the papers, and anyway US cuts are labeled differently so she doesn't want to bother him to look for it.

Anyone know how to make meat soup? And what cut of meat I should use if I want to be able to serve that meat as a "roast" at a different meal?

studying_torah

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:00 pm
We use oil and juice, but my mother's parents boiled their sugar for Pessach. We don't use peppers nor spices.
Some family members don't eat fish. There are so many minhagim. Good for u op for trying to keep up w it! And hatzlacha!!

abby1776

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 4:32 am
My DH is allergic to many foods so I have a lot of food restrictions all year round.

Zuccini - peel it, slice it, saute it in olive oil and spices. You can even slice it or peel it thinly and use it like pasta. you can stuff them with meat also - like stuffed roasted peppers.

Avocado - guacomole with matza!

Sweet potatoes - roasted or mashed

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 4:45 am
Ooc, why no chicken? Ive never heard of that.

rowo

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 5:04 am
You can make a delicious meaty soup with the meat bones. My butcher sell the leg bones and I get it cut up.
Boil up the bones (you can skim the top of the water once it's boiled) Let the bones boil for as long as you can to give it a rich flavour.
Add whatever vegetables you can use, pumpkin, zuchinni, carrots, celery root, onions, beetroot etc
Whatever seasoning you can, salt and pepper
Once the vegetables are soft blend it all together. It's yummy and filling.
If you don't have a pesachdik immersion blender, it's also good, if you shred all the vegetables in the food processor before.
Not as smooth but just as tasty

Also you said you use ginger, add some to pumpkin soup !

With ground meat you can make burgers for chol hamoed, they're good if you go out, can be eaten cold and easy for kids to hold.

You can also make burgers with fresh salmon, get the store to mince it for you. Once you add some onion and vegetables (shredded carrot, zuchinni) and fry it, it's not so fishy.
Especially when eaten fresh

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 5:45 am
Ask your MIL what she makes then ask us for the recipes LOL

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 6:58 am
out-of-towner wrote:

I think this Minhag has something to do with garlic used to be stored in wheat or wheat flour. Don't take my word for it, but it's something along those lines.

If I remember correctly, the sugar was stored with the wheat, so we boil and strain the sugar. They used to help garlic grow by pouring beer over it, so we don't use garlic. Some people don't use chicken because when you cut open the stomach you might find some grain feed inside. Commercial mushrooms even today are grown over a chometz starter, so we don't use mushrooms either. We also don't use ginger, but no idea why not, but we do peel tomatoes.
I also make all my own orange juice, lemon juice and lime juice, and after 5 years of squeezing by hand, bought myself an electric juicer last year - such a life-changer!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 10:19 am
I may have a talk with mil and see if she'll sit down with me and tell me what she makes and give me whatever recipes she does have. Shame, really, but it's two females marrying into extremely strict minhagim but not understanding or valuing them as much as the "real family"

Chickens used to be grain fed (I think) and so we don't eat chicken.

Avocado and matza together is gebroks, but we will have it plain.

I'm also a fussy eater, but that's no one's issue but mine.

lifesagift

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:11 am
One year for chol hamoed I sauteed chopped meat in slow cooker, then added just about every root vegetable in the market including carrots, potatoes of every color, yams, purple + black turnips, zucchini, beets etc.. In addition to s&p I added ginger n horseradish... Twas daring, but bottom line- a real crowd pleaser! Unfortunately, like your dmil, I rarely write down recipes.. embarrassed

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:20 am
Avocado with matzo is not gbrochts.
Just saying
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics