Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Am I allowed to drink tea/wine/water in the bath
1  2  Next

Would you drink in the bath?
Yes  
 38%  [ 17 ]
No - I believe it's against halacha  
 29%  [ 13 ]
No - it's weird  
 31%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 44

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:43 pm
The title explains it all.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:
The title explains it all.

Up think it depends on the situation.
When I was in labor for 9 days the doctor told me to drink a 6 oz glass of wine and take a bath to relax myself. I drank in the bath Smile

studying_torah

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:48 pm
U were in labor for 9 days?! Real labor? How did you not collapse? Were you and the baby ok?

abaker

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:49 pm
Wine in the bath would not help me relax!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:49 pm
is this a joke?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:52 pm
Today's bathrooms (in developed countries) don't really have the halachic ruling of a "toilet." I don't know if you're allowed to eat in them lehatchila though.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:53 pm
andrea levy wrote:
is this a joke?
no it would really be relaxing to drink in the tub and I want to know if it's allowed and if a/o else does it

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
no it would really be relaxing to drink in the tub and I want to know if it's allowed and if a/o else does it

why would you even think this was a question?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:55 pm
andrea levy wrote:
why would you even think this was a question?
not sure if it becomes tamei and asur to drink from being in bathroom

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:56 pm
studying_torah wrote:
U were in labor for 9 days?! Real labor? How did you not collapse? Were you and the baby ok?
Yes, real labor for 9 days, not active labor though, 5-8 minutes apart for 9 days with two breaks during those 9 days which lasted just a few hours. It was crazy, yes, don't know if I would insist to wait for natural active labor again if this situation ever repeated itself. I did collapse every 2 days, my labor coach had to calm me down each time. Thank God we are ok though there were some complications which I don't know if they were related to the above or not.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:59 pm
AFAIK if the tub is not in the same room as the tub it may be ok so it depends on the layout . The issue is the Tumah in a washroom due to it being contaminated by feces. Also making the bracha on the drink while naked is problematic .

Drinking on a tub can be a sakana for some people with high or low blood pressure . best bet is to AYLOR

ImaCohen4

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:59 pm
My kids used to drink their bath water embarrassed shock embarrassed LOL

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:01 pm
I wouldn't do it because I think it's disgusting. If it's neged halacha, so much the better. Some people have no sense of what's "not batampt" but if it's not allowed for halachic reasons, then they'll comply.

Those of you who drink in the bath, I do hope you and all your house-mates always put the lid down before you flush, because particles from the toilet -- itty-bitty bits of poo and whatever else you all deposit in there-- travel at least 5 or 6 feet from their source to land on all those nice gleaming surfaces that you'll touch with your hands as you ease yourself into that tub before picking up that glass.

Anyway, you can't make a bracha in the bathroom and I know you wouldn't dream of swallowing so much as a colonoscopy prep fluid without a bracha rishona and acharona, right?

abaker

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
not sure if it becomes tamei and asur to drink from being in bathroom

In the non Jewish world it's not weird at all, but I don't think I would find it relaxing...like reading in a bubbly tub with a candle looks so relaxing...but I've tried it and in reality the water gets cold, magazine gets wet. Haha it's just hard to recreate the scene as perfect as it looks in the movies.

Op I also wonder if you would be permitted to drink in a bathroom. If you ask your LOR let us know!

A little different but I would love to listen to my iPod in the tub, but could you listen to niggunim and Jewish music in the bathroom?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:18 pm
I've never thought of it as a problem. Come to think of it, your right - the food gets tama.... I know you don't take food in there but I always take a glass of water not to get dehydrated while in the bath. I make a bracha before. I don't always drink it and I keep it covered...
I can't imagine drinking for enjoyment in the bath though... feels odd...

To each their own.....

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:39 pm
I've enjoyed a glass of wine once or twice or a few (many) times while relaxing in the bath.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:41 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't do it because I think it's disgusting. If it's neged halacha, so much the better. Some people have no sense of what's "not batampt" but if it's not allowed for halachic reasons, then they'll comply.

Those of you who drink in the bath, I do hope you and all your house-mates always put the lid down before you flush, because particles from the toilet -- itty-bitty bits of poo and whatever else you all deposit in there-- travel at least 5 or 6 feet from their source to land on all those nice gleaming surfaces that you'll touch with your hands as you ease yourself into that tub before picking up that glass.

Anyway, you can't make a bracha in the bathroom and I know you wouldn't dream of swallowing so much as a colonoscopy prep fluid without a bracha rishona and acharona, right?

I'm not sure what "batampt" is, but it sounds like pickles to me.
I'm not touching the wine I drink. I'm touching the glass.
I make a blessing and take a sip outside of the bathroom.
:arrow:

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:48 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I'm not sure what "batampt" is, but it sounds like pickles to me.
I'm not touching the wine I drink. I'm touching the glass.
I make a blessing and take a sip outside of the bathroom.
:arrow:

There is brand of pickles called BaTampte and they happen to be my very favorite ones in the world, in fact I'm drooling all over the keyboard. But "batampt" is used in Yiddish the same way as we use "tasteful" in English, to mean "in good taste" or "appropriate". Something that's not batampt elicits a reaction of "fui!" or "feh!" Consuming food or drink in a room with a toilet is just plain feh.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:02 pm
I've drunk straight from the bathroom sink tap at times with no bracha. Like, right after I threw up from morning sickness, or in the early days of nursing when I'd wake up in middle of the night parched. Guess I'm a real shaygetz. Twisted Evil

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, everyone should put the lid down when they flush. I have written about that before, but amother is not discussing eating supper while using the facilities. Still, there is nothing unsanitary about drinking in a bathtub. Many studies have shown that bathrooms often contain less bacteria than a kitchen (A kiss often contains less germs than a handshake as well).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions