Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do Chossidish ladies say AMEN to yeshivish brachos?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:57 pm
I know this sounds like a silly question, but I am a litvish lady, and whenever I give a bracha to a chassidish lady, "may you have nachas, only simchas, etc." even lengthy, quite lovely brachas (if I may say so myself), I just get a thank you and no 'amen.'

Is this a chassidish thing? I just want to make sure I understand, in case it's preferred I don't give them brachas for some reason.

Could someone explain.

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:59 pm
Is this is a joke?

bayis

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:03 pm
Rebbes give brochos who are you to bestow a blessing.
LoL

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:06 pm
I've given plenty of brochot to Chassidish ladies, and gotten an hearty AMEIN from them.

Then again, I don't live in a very insular community, so standards may vary depending on where you live.

I'm sorry if you're feeling snubbed or looked down on, that's not OK!

KollelWife3

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:07 pm
I'm chassidish and I accept brachos in every shape, size, or form!!

Maybe you didn't realize and she said umein. Chassidish havara.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:23 am
Op here, so I don't get it, is it me? Are chossidish ppl more picky about whose bracha they give an amen to? Bc I'm not imagining it, this has happened conspicuously many times over the course of years, where I just get a thank you. It really seems like there must be some cultural thing... unless it IS me....

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:32 am
Many chassidim (and this is a generalization, to which many are obviously an exception) subconsciously keep their yiddishkeit separate from the English language. So if a doctor asks how they are, they'd reply "thank God" instead of the yeshivish reflexive "boruch Hashem".

If you give brochos in english, or with nonchassidish havarah, they might be reflexively accessing the English part of their brain and reply "thank you."

Theory, obviously. Because give me a bracha in any language and I'll answer oomine!

lifesagift

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:32 am
Not sure but its possible that she says thank you cause she assumes that's your' culture? in general, cjassidishe women in any community will say amein to anyones brocha

Deep

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:37 am
In what context are the brachos being extended? At a simcha, most would answer amen. In other situations, thank you is an oft response. It must be a cultural nuance and is completely unrelated to the religious affiliation (or race, gender and socio-economic status...) of the "brachos bestower".

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 5:52 am
That's really weird. I've never heard of anyone not saying amen to anyone else's bracha.....

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 5:53 am
I'm MO, and to me, a bracha starts "baruch atah hashem ..." (and comes from a siddur etc., don't go making up your own), and if I hear one of those, I'll say amen. If someone wishes me well, I say "thank you", this does not depend on the affiliation of who said it.

Cookie Monster

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:01 am
bayis wrote:
LoL

shock

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:12 am
I'll accept anything as a bracha, refua shleima, Hatzlacha raba, bless you, nachas....

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:35 am
Ha! a big rebbe told me I don't need his bracha, I can give one to myself and if I'm working on myself then I'm on the same level to do it (he still gave it, in the end).

acemom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:58 am
In my experience, I found it is either this

amother wrote:
Many chassidim (and this is a generalization, to which many are obviously an exception) subconsciously keep their yiddishkeit separate from the English language. So if a doctor asks how they are, they'd reply "thank God" instead of the yeshivish reflexive "boruch Hashem".

If you give brochos in english, or with nonchassidish havarah, they might be reflexively accessing the English part of their brain and reply "thank you."

or this

Quote:
..... and to me, a bracha starts "baruch atah hashem ..." (and comes from a siddur etc., don't go making up your own), and if I hear one of those, I'll say amen. If someone wishes me well, I say "thank you", this does not depend on the affiliation of who said it.

Nothing personal.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:43 pm
bayis wrote:
LoL

Al Tehi Birchas Hedyot Kal B'Aynecha.

loosely translated - you should take even the blessing of an ordinary person seriously.

And according to R' Avigdor Miller, we should constantly bestow blessings on the people we meet. If you see a child, say "May this child give nachas to his/her parents" and "may he/she be healthy", etc.......This is because Hashem said to Avraham Avinu "V'avarchecha M'varchacha" - I will bless those who bless you. So if you bless another Jew, Hashem blesses you. Every yid has the power to give blessing.

Twinster

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:49 pm
When someone gives me a bracha, whether for success, refuah, etc, I take it as a form of care and concern. So when I say thank you, I mean "thanks for caring / joining in my simcha etc".

checkbefore

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:51 pm
Most likely she is embarrassed to say amen in her chassidish havara, so she just says thank you in english.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:54 pm
Twinster wrote:
When someone gives me a bracha, whether for success, refuah, etc, I take it as a form of care and concern. So when I say thank you, I mean "thanks for caring / joining in my simcha etc".

You should also say Amen. Read all the "Amen" books - saying Amen actualizes the Beracha from Koach to Poal.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 3:02 pm
I say "amein--from your mouth to G-d's ears!" But I'm not a Chassidish lady and can't tell you what Chassidish ladies do or why.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics