Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Women making brachos

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 1:22 am
I've seen this a few times and am wondering. When a chasidish lady makes a Bracha why does she put her hand on top of her head as if covering it? She's wearing a wig and puts her hand over head and then makes a Bracha. I've seen this done a few times and wondering y?

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:48 am
Never seen this but I have seen guys do this if they didn't have a kippah and someone was making them say a bracha at a community event or something. That is obviously because they know they should be wearing kissui rosh.

Maybe the chassidish lady is making sure her sheitel is on properly?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:54 am
I've never seen or heard of this. I'm chassidish.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:57 am
Mistameh this was picked up, consciously or otherwise, from men who readjust the set of their yarmulke, or just make sure it's still there, before making a brocho. That doesn't explain why this is done by chassistehs and nobody else, other than that chassidim have lots of minhogim that nobody else does.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:06 am
I call the OP's bluff.
Never in thirty years as a member of the community have I seen a woman hold her hand over her head as she made a bracha. Men, yes, they do it all the time if they're not wearing a hat.

If a woman holds that she needs two head coverings, she's either wearing a hat on top of her sheitel or she's wearing something underneath the sheitel.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:08 am
A hand is not considered a cover, so even a man who covers his head with his hand is not accomplishing anything.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:10 am
Maya wrote:
I call the OP's bluff.
Never in thirty years as a member of the community have I seen a woman hold her hand over her head as she made a bracha. Men, yes, they do it all the time if they're not wearing a hat.

If a woman holds that she needs two head coverings, she's either wearing a hat on top of her sheitel or she's wearing something underneath the sheitel.

Op here ,
Dnt believe me but I've seen it a few times.
And I did not knw some women hold that they need two coverings. So maybe that could be the reason .

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
A hand is not considered a cover, so even a man who covers his head with his hand is not accomplishing anything.

They put their arm on their head, using their sleeve as a cover.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
Op here ,
Dnt believe me but I've seen it a few times.
And I did not knw some women hold that they need two coverings. So maybe that could be the reason .

All charedi men hold that they need two coverings, that's why they wear a kippa and a hat for davening. And even more so, that's actually why they wear the felt kippas, because they're two layered.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 6:36 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
They put their arm on their head, using their sleeve as a cover.

Yes that's what I meant by saying hand.
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Could it be that the wig covering is not enough for blessing/prayers?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:17 am
amother wrote:
Yes that's what I meant by saying hand.
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Could it be that the wig covering is not enough for blessing/prayers?

If they are only wearing a wig, then it's not enough, according to some shittas, and they need to cover with two coverings for blessings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics