Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why do or don't you give the chickenpox vaccine
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 12:19 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Well, no. I do not. I do not because it's not the breastfeeding in and of itself. It's the "lifestyle" policies that are transferred and taught to children. Yes, a parent that teaches their child to eat MacDonalds is negligent. Sometimes they have no choice because it's the only way to work it financially, but parents who have the means to provide normal meal choices and do not are failing as parents. Parents who can tach their child about healthy behaviors and instead sit them in front of a screen are bad parents, yes. I believe that. I am not going to pass judgment: maybe they have emotional disorders, maybe they never learned properly, but they are negligent. Not breastfeeding is not a direct link: it has more to do with overall behaviors. Similarly individuals in 3rd world countries are at a greater risk of developing diabetes: are you negligent if you live in the US? Of course not! Exposing your child to a disease where the exposure it the DIRECT cause of the infection is negligent, especially when there is a scientifically proven, medically and halachically suggested concept of vaccination. I cannot believe you would even raise such an unacceptable comparison.

Can you please explain to me how this works? You call people you don't know, who make choices for reasons that you don't know, negligent and bad parents, but you are not passing judgement?
My non giving my baby the chicken pox vax has nothing to do with fear. It is because I truly believe that chicken pox is not oh so bad. Yes, there are sever cases, and there are rare horrific situations, but to the general public a regular case of chicken pox is not all that bad. As someone else said, the vaccine was originally marketed as a way to prevent missing long stretches of work. Doesn't sound like something terrible. I had chicken pox. My sisters had chicken pox. We played with our friends who also had chicken pox. I'm not in a rush to give my baby the vax at this point because he was exposed three times and never even got one measly pock. I have to have his titters checked, but hats another story.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 3:04 am
What you highlighted has nothing to do with the cicken pox or your comment. It was in response to smss asking me if parents who do not breastfeed are negligent to which I sad, "not necessarily because the act of not breastfeeding alone does not equal negligence." Likewise, I never said that not vaccinating alone is enough to make a parent negligent which was cleared up before.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 7:08 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
What you highlighted has nothing to do with the cicken pox or your comment. It was in response to smss asking me if parents who do not breastfeed are negligent to which I sad, "not necessarily because the act of not breastfeeding alone does not equal negligence." Likewise, I never said that not vaccinating alone is enough to make a parent negligent which was cleared up before.
I didn't say you did. I asked how calling someone a bad parent is not being judgemental.
My comment about my son was not connected to that, hence the separate paragraph.

fleetwood

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 7:40 am
I got chicken pox,right before the shot came out. I was never so deathly I'll in my life. I was 24. Getting it as an adult is very dangerous. You bet I vaccinate!! What if you get it while pregnant. Those of you who think chicken pox is no big deal are seriously insane!!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 8:08 am
There are parents who pride themselves on going to McDo because kids love it.

smss

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 4:18 pm
fleetwood wrote:
I got chicken pox,right before the shot came out. I was never so deathly I'll in my life. I was 24. Getting it as an adult is very dangerous. You bet I vaccinate!! What if you get it while pregnant. Those of you who think chicken pox is no big deal are seriously insane!!

yes, it is much more serious to get chicken pox as an adult. for children it's typically much milder.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 4:34 pm
Op mentions the friend who is OK with exposing her baby. Please let your friend know that before the age of one, there is no guarantee of lifelong immunity. I got chicken pox at nine months, and then I got it again at five. And my parents response was delayed the second time because it didn't occur to them that I could have gotten it a second time. So if you do choose to go the pox party route, please don't do it if you have a baby at home, and don't bring the baby to the party.

fleetwood

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 5:08 pm
Yes,its milder for a child,but how can you be sure they will catch it then and not later? You cant!

yogabird

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 2:34 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Yes,its milder for a child,but how can you be sure they will catch it then and not later? You cant!

Well, before they started vaccinating for it, most children had caught at some point during childhood. Or you could intentionally expose them.

(Intentionally expose your kid to disease?! That's negligent. Well, maybe chicken pox is not a big deal for a child, but it can make an adult really sick. How can you be sure they'll catch it as a child? Intentionally expose them? That's negligent! And round and round we go...)
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics