Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Flying with an infant

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:03 am
So when I made these travel plans, it was before the whole craziness with measles. I'm not a germophobe, and this isn't my first, so I'm not super over-protective, I mean I live in NYC, my other kids go to school, they are around people and other germs which I have no control over. I know that in general it is considered safe to fly with an infant, my baby will be a little over a month when I travel iy"H. This trip means a lot to me, and otherwise it means leaving my 1-month old with my husband and the 2 other kids over a Shabbos, as much as it's a lot to take care of the 2 kids by himself, I don't think it's fair to ask him to watch all 3--nor is it fair to the baby to be away from me for a whole weekend--and I don't want to be a slave to a pump all weekend. My in-laws have offered to help, but they aren't religious so I don't know how much help they'd be over Shabbos. I kind of figured I would cover my baby up with a receiving blanket so she's not as exposed to germs. It's a medium-length domestic flight.
Any other HELPFUL suggestions on how to pull this trip off? (please spare me the "you're crazy"s or "It's too risky")

esther09

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:13 am
Assuming your pediatrician isn't an alarmist, I would ask him/her for advice, he/she may have better advice for example on covering the baby with something better than a receiving blanket.

Are you going anywhere near the measles outbreak (I.e., CA or west coast)? If so, can you bring one or two of your other kids with you instead (assuming they are already vaccinated) and leave your one month old with your husband and in-laws?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:24 am
esther09 wrote:
Assuming your pediatrician isn't an alarmist, I would ask him/her for advice, he/she may have better advice for example on covering the baby with something better than a receiving blanket.

Are you going anywhere near the measles outbreak (I.e., CA or west coast)? If so, can you bring one or two of your other kids with you instead (assuming they are already vaccinated) and leave your one month old with your husband and in-laws?

OP here, as for taking another child--the ticket was very expensive so I would have to take a "lap child". It wasn't the West coast, but travel does involve a very brief stopover in city that was involved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics