Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Grants/ scholarships

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:00 pm
Besides for Fafsa, where else can my daughter apply for college scholarships? She starts college next fall. Her GPA is 2.8. Thank you.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:08 pm
I believe FAFSA is federal aid, maybe apply for state aid. If she's in NY, it's called TAP

Six boyz

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:14 pm
You can apply through the college. They should be able to tell u which grants u can apply for.

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 12:19 am
in some cities Jewish Federation has scholarships. Is there someone in her high school who helps w. college applications?

Barbara

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
Besides for Fafsa, where else can my daughter apply for college scholarships? She starts college next fall. Her GPA is 2.8. Thank you.

Many schools offer merit scholarships along with their acceptance letters. I've heard that if you're denied or don't receive much from FAFSA, you can ask for that number to be increased.

Additionally:

(1) Have her speak to her college guidance counselor at school. She may have access to lists of available scholarships, often available only to people with only very specific traits. From my college days, I recall one available only to the son or daughter of a Jewish farmer living in [insert name of large city I was living in]. If your father happened to be a Jewish farmer in a big city, you were in luck.

(2) Sign up on college guidance sites such as cappex.com, which send emails promoting various scholarship competitions.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:58 am
The school counselor should be able to
point her to websites that list scholarships and grants available to all students and to members of certain groups (child of Jewish farmer). It's more common for the student to go through the college she applies to, but these may well be dependent on grades. I don't know if your daughter is already a senior, but it would help a lot if she had a 3.3 or above.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics