Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
"Mommy camp" vs. day camp?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:33 am
For the last few summers I worked in a day camp to earn a bit of money over the summer (I work in a school) and keep my kids busy and entertained. I'm not great at being a full-time SAHM, so I liked the idea of giving us all some structure and exciting activities.

Last year I earned around $900 for 8 weeks (on top of my kids' tuition), which is decent for summer camp pay but not a lot in the greater scheme of things. It was also a pretty draining experience, because my job involved a lot of planning and physical activity, a fair amount of general frustration, and a 30-ish minute drive each way. My kids were happy, but I wasn't really. And after talking to a friend who has been in the same boat for the last couple of years. we're both thinking about trying to do things on our own this year.

I'd probably take the kids to visit my parents for a week, and would probably split an inexpensive vacation rental with this friend for a week as well. My neighbor does a backyard camp so I could have my kids do that for a week or so, and it would cost a lot less than a more formal setup. If things are broken up like that and I plan ahead, I think I could keep us from watching too many videos, you know? I think.

But, does it make sense financially? Would you put yourself through a hard summer for $900 and knowing your kids are busy and entertained? If you've done "mommy camp" how much money do you think you spent on activities and so on? Was that easier or harder than working for you? How did you make the decision to do whichever thing you did?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:14 am
I love doing mommy camp! I have never done it to save money, but I definitely saved anyway, even with doing some very expensive trips. We dint watch videos all day, because we were on trips all day. Where I live, there are tons of amazing things to do for free. We went to museums, zoos, aquariums, amusement parks, boating, swimming pools, beaches, fun zones, farms, water play/ sprinkler areas, public parks, shows.... Basically, the list is endless. There is nothing I enjoy more then spending time with my boys, completely stress free!

SplitPea

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:39 am
I think it really depends Ono it financial situation. This year I will be working at a camp where at the end of the day I will make probably $200. BUT my kids will all be in camp. If I did mommy camp I would need to pay for activities (even lunches while we are out add up. Train tickets (to the city for museums) snacks for on the go, extra gass, admission to things that are not free etc it all cost money.

By the way you sound you are in a very different money situation than us. Because to split a vacation home for a week (say $300? I don't know) travel to your parents (again throwing out a number of $200) camp for a week for two kids $200, other ransom activities $150. Adding all those completely random numbers up is $850 yes for a funfilled summer with everyone is not so bad BUT if you look at it that you either EARN $900'or PAY $850 it's more like you are earning $1750.....

Again I know my numbers are probably totally off but you get the idea at least. If you are financially comfortable and love doingn things with your kids go for it!

Sanguine

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:44 am
Financially it makes no sense. Last year you paid out nothing and came out plus $900

This year you'll come out minus a few hundred dollars.

But if the difference in money isn't your deal breaker...

Some people love "Mommy camp". Some people hate "Mommy camp". Depends what type of Mommy you are (plus, you really don't want to work in camp again). You'll never know which type you are till you try it.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:49 am
You may be able to get a membership for a few museums or centers that have an agreement of sorts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics