Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What to bring from Israel

coconutbutter

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:46 pm
I am Be"h going in to the States for Pesach and would love to bring gifts for the family.

We are on a tight budget but being that we see everyone once a year I want to show that they've been
on my mind and bring something for everyone.

Those of you in America- what's something you can only get in Israel that you would LOVE if you got brought
back for you? We will bring junk from the Shuk, Doritos and the like but can't bring too much as it'll be Pesach.

I need nice presents for my parents, and inlaws, and then smaller, thoughtful gifts for my siblings and sister/brothers in law.

Please suggest!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:58 pm
CY and GOOD yoghurts.
Stuff like Daniela, etc.
I ask my mom that (not even for the CY just the taste).

Put them in plastic!!

Sanguine

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:17 pm
Quote:
what's something you can only get in Israel that you would LOVE if you got brought back for you?

Well my SIL in Teaneck takes tissues from Israel cause those 3-ply tissues in America stuffs up her plumbing when she uses them on Shabbat.

She also brought Shabbat toothpaste (even KLP) but that was a few years ago and disposable underwear for her sister who was giving birth in America (also a few years ago).

My sister who used to live in Israel's kids love Telma cornflakes.

When my daughter went I sent my mother a box of stringy Halva that they sell in Osher Ad (maybe costco has it too)

Those are the only things I know that people have asked for from Israel.

If you're going for Pesach - Bring Shmura Matza. Don't know if it's better but it's cheaper here. (guess price makes no sense as a gift)

Seriously...

Anything with Hebrew on it. (too bad coca cola stopped making bottles with people's names on them - that would be cute).

A picture, a coffee table book with pictures of Israel (we have a great one with 3-D glasses - amazing to look through).

Mugs with Hebrew on them

I don't think people in America wish they have anything from Israel

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:53 pm
That package of chocolate bars, mekupelet, kifkef, and pesek zman. Chocolate spread. Krembo. Judaica, a nice gift for the ones hosting the sender is a set of towels that say "urchatz" "rachtza" and "al netilas yadayim"
A sefira counter
Sefarim

Dev80

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:56 pm
You can get most judaica items in the states at this point but you're doing it to be thoughtful which is so sweet!
nice washing cups
personalized leatherbound kiddush books
set of benchers with name on it
If you are in Jerusalem spend a morning in geulah and look around, there are lots of nice options in all different price ranges.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:59 pm
One thing I found to bring back (it was for myself, not a gift) that I have not seen in the US (at least in the variety they had) were stone mezuzah batim. I bought back a number of gorgeous ones.

yenny

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 3:03 pm
There's a syringe with chocolate spread in it that's not available here. My brothers loved the wooden camel with their name on it.they also have a torah pointer that is cute.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 3:30 pm
There's little in EY that you can't get anywhere in the US, it just depends where. But people in the US love anything from EY because they love EY. At least I do!I try to be considerate of the people traveling and ask for things that are light, small and won't break the bank A bar of face soap, a tube of toothpaste or packet of zaatar or schug will make me very happy. I always ask for tayadent, halvah, a women's magazine because why not challenge myself to read it, Dr. Fischer's KLP hand cream, Tzitzis and strings for the guys, also kippot (risky because of sizes, I know), scarves for the tichelistas, earrings for those who wear them...Ironically I don't ask for Judaica from Israel because it's usually heavy and/or bulky or will have to be packed in a big cardboard tube, easily misplaced, and not necessarily much cheaper. maybe a mezuza with klaf or a small olivewood item like a besamim box or door plaque for someone who's about to move or get married. Find out first if they have one as these are very popular and almost everyone seems to have one. A neighbor of mine has two!

PAMOM

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 4:19 pm
Nice candles. I love the ones from Sfat when I have company. Definitely spices. Since I assume you're arriving a couple of days before Pesach, different kinds of halvah. Are you near Tel Aviv? I brought small things from Nachlat Binyamin because they're unusual.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics