Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teacher gave ds soda
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

gp2.0

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:44 am
IMHopinion wrote:
Am I the only one thinking that the teacher gave a liter soda to share with his family?
I doubt she expected him to drink all that.

That said, yes, soda is a bad reward to give...

Actually, I'm thinking that she wanted to give soda with a "heimishe hechsher" and they don't come in small bottles...?

It seems like a stupid prize to me too, but maybe she couldn't do a dollar store run for whatever reason so she just did a grocery order?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:57 am
Sparkle wrote:
Soda - especially diet soda - does contribute to cancer. It may not be the only thing that causes cancer, but it's A cause. My kids understand that without being too freaked out. They just don't drink soda.

Please prove this.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:18 am
Sparkle wrote:
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/news/20100208/pancreatic-cancer-linked-sodas

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ch.....-say/

http://www.rodalenews.com/cancer-soda

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/st.....ancer

From just the first article you posted... Huge issues.
Did you read the whole article or just the first sentence or two?? The numbers are where it gets interesting and shows the REAL story. Headlines are misleading.

60,524 men and women were in the study. 140 got pancreatic cancer. They only looked at the correlation. Of those who got cancer, how many drank no soda, less than 2 a week or more than 2? And how many of them drank water? Probably almost all, if not all. 100% probably went outside at least 2 times a week. Does that mean that walking outside causes cancer??? Correlation DOES NOT EQUAL causation!!

Furthermore....when someone explained why they thought the study was flawed he commented:
"One example, he says, are the small numbers of pancreatic cancer cases. He points out that of the 140 cases, 110 of those people did not drink sodas, while 12 had less than two servings a week, and 18 had two or more servings a week.''It has a small number of pancreatic cancer cases compared to the population studied," he tells WebMD.""
So, how did the 110 people get cancer if they NEVER drank soda? And 12 drank less than 2 servings a week. So... 18 out of 140 is proof??? Try plotting that correlation.
Plus:
Other studies have found no link, he tells WebMD.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:55 am
Maybe I'm missing something. It seems to me that the teacher has a "store" that the children use their prize "money" to buy things in. OP's child "bought" the soda in the store. Meaning he CHOSE this prize as opposed to whatever else the teacher had available. So it is not like she was handing out 2 liter bottles of soda -- it was available as a choice. If this kid really believed that soda causes cancer, chances are he would have chosen a different prize. . .clearly the scare tactics aren't working so well!

I happen to agree that there are plenty of little toys that can be bought for prizes instead of candy or soda -- and it is perfectly reasonable to have a discussion with the teacher about the possibility of avoiding food prize. Maybe offer to pick some things up for her to stock in the "store" instead.

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 6:42 am
I spoke to ds about it after he had the pizza. I wanted to know why he chose the soda. He said that he had the second to most prize dollars in the class. He looked at the toys first and picked out a few cheap things. He still had tons of money left. He picked out a menorah since I told him that next year he can light with oil instead of candles. He still had lots of money left. His teacher said that she bought in one bottle of soda per kid so each kid could buy one bottle. One kid said that his mother doesn't let him drink soda and instead he bought lots of jewelry. Ds said that I don't wear much jewelry so he wouldn't know what I like and instead took a soda. He was upset because he carried the two liter bottle of soda down two flights of stairs in a knapsack that already had all his other prizes, all the books he needs for homework, and assorted other junk, and I wanted to throw it out. We gave it to his therapist instead. Ds just woke up, so I'll explain about the no nosh and cancer later.

shevi82

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 6:58 am
Soda may or may not cause cancer, but depriving your kids and or making them feel different from everyone else causes Emotional problems.
You don't have to have Soda at home, but if must face the fact that your kids will get in at school, friends homes etc.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:10 am
I think many of you are confusing the word "cause" for "correlation". There is a CORRELATION between drinking soft drinks (in excess) to cancer. It is not a cause.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:13 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
do you eat regular cheese? do you eat bread?
Of course I do. Whats your point? Inwas responding to the post that I had quoted, which was someone commenting that pizza isnt bad for your heart. And in my response, I said that eating TONS of pizza is bad for your heart. I enjoy many foods that are high in cholesterol IN MODERATION.

chanie18

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:21 am
Teach him the mentos and coke thing, its vaguely educational (if you look up why it makes a fountain), its fun, and it will get rid of all the soda pronto.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:26 am
I would never throw away food, but that's me, the deep Euro gal.

That said, yes, my kids were so much easier before gan, now they pickier though the morot say they eat better than almost all others still....

Scare tactics like "coke causes..." just backfire. Now, teaching moderation..!

supty

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:40 am
I had a friend like this growing up. She was the one with sliced apples and grapes when everyone else had chips and candy. She was also the one always begging everyone to share their junk food with her. Now she's married with kids of her own and guess what? Her house has plenty of junk food in it. Op, as plenty of mothers said already, I think this will backfire. You can't control your kids forever, and forcing them will not teach them to make good choices. I try to keep a healthy house as well, but in today's day and age there is a lot to compete with, and kids will be kids. You have to just let it go sometimes. I do think it's horrible for the teacher to have given that as a prize. I hate that yeshivas are constantly handing out junk food right and left.

SorGold

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 8:12 am
cuties' mom wrote:
I spoke to ds about it after he had the pizza. I wanted to know why he chose the soda. He said that he had the second to most prize dollars in the class. He looked at the toys first and picked out a few cheap things. He still had tons of money left. He picked out a menorah since I told him that next year he can light with oil instead of candles. He still had lots of money left. His teacher said that she bought in one bottle of soda per kid so each kid could buy one bottle. One kid said that his mother doesn't let him drink soda and instead he bought lots of jewelry. Ds said that I don't wear much jewelry so he wouldn't know what I like and instead took a soda. He was upset because he carried the two liter bottle of soda down two flights of stairs in a knapsack that already had all his other prizes, all the books he needs for homework, and assorted other junk, and I wanted to throw it out. We gave it to his therapist instead. Ds just woke up, so I'll explain about the no nosh and cancer later.

You mean u are going to explain why he cant have nosh and why soda causes cancer? Or that some people may get cancer from many unhealthy foods in general that some research has found possible links (sodium nitrite/burnt foods/carageenan/diet sugars/Gmos etc.) and its best to avoid.
Telling him soda causes cancer sounds like Chava and the nochosh because he will have dozens of friends who drink it and do not get cancer.
Out of curiosity why did you pick on soda of all things?

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 8:15 am
I never told the schools not to give ds nosh. The first Shabbos party in preschool, ds was given a cookie, chips, and candy. He didn't recognize the chips or candy, so he didn't eat it. When his teacher saw he didn't eat chips or candy, she gave him an extra cookie instead. After that, every week she gave ds extra cookies and no chips or candy. His second year of preschool, (kindergarten) he told his teacher he doesn't eat chips or candy and asked for extra cookies instead. The teacher agreed to that arrangement. In pre-1a, ds told his teacher the same thing. The teacher told him nobody gets doubles. After a few months, ds tasted chips and decided he likes them. He ate chips in school and at parties since then. He asked why I don't buy chips and I explained that dh has high blood pressure and shouldn't eat salty foods. I also told him that chips aren't healthy and we don't bring nosh into the house. He still ate them outside the house. Ds started drinking soda at birthday parties. I wasn't concerned since it a little bit once in a while. He asked why I don't buy it and I said its not healthy. In first grade, the rebbi gave out candy and ds always gave his away. In second grade, the rebbi gave out candy and quarters. Ds always tasted his candy first and then threw it out since he never developed a taste for candy. He used his quarters to buy soda. The first day ds came home with a can of soda, I told him he could drink it on the way home, but once he get home, we're throwing out the rest since we don't bring junk into the house. The second day he brought home a soda, I asked him why he wants to buy something so unhealthy. He said he didn't have enough money for a danish and the soda machine was out of seltzer. I told him that even iced tea or Hawaiian punch are better than soda. The third day was when it became an issue.
Ds was first exposed to cancer when he was 4 and a relative was diagnosed with cancer. I told him that the relative has a sickness called cancer and has to take a strong medicine called chemo. I explained that because the chemo is so strong, he will have to stay in the hospital and his hair will fall out. A few months later, the relative had surgery. I explained that the doctor will cut the cancer out of his body. Ds had lots of questions which I tried to answer. When he was 5, he asked what causes cancer. Whenever ds asked a question that I didn't have an answer to, we googled it, so I googled what causes cancer. There was a very long list of things that came up, and ds and I discussed each thing. Soda was on the list, but it wasn't on the top. When ds was 6, he stopped asking so many questions. When he was 6 1/2, the relative died and ds had more questions about death and dying. I thought we wouldn't be discussing cancer anymore. The third day ds brought home a soda in second grade, I had him google dangers of drinking soda. We read about tooth decay, cavities, gingivitis, obesity, clogged arteries, and cancer. After that, whenever ds brought home soda, I asked him why we don't drink soda and he said it gives cavities and causes cancer. Ds had 5 cavities in June. He had the last one filled the first day of third grade. I spoke to him about how the constant candy and soda in school are contributing to the cavities. He said that he tasted the candy from his second grade rebbi because that's what he was given. I told him that if he tells his teacher he doesn't like candy, maybe he will get something else. Ds is perfectly happy getting cookies instead of candy, so that's not an issue.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:06 am
a 2 liter bottle of soda can be drunk in two weeks. not in one sitting. You can save it as a shabbos treat for the seudah. it's not poison.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:12 am
You just have to find something your son considers better than soda, that he'll trade the soda for. I let my kids trade soda for books (not every kid will go for that), but if they don't want to trade I don't force it. Mostly they do, though.

I taught my kids about the connection between cancer and food dyes out of necessity, when they were attending a backyard camp that only gave kool-aid to drink and wouldn't allow the kids to go into the house to get a drink of water (the hose was off limits too). The person running the camp kept huge coolers of kool-aid in the backyard and insisted that that was what everyone should drink so she could keep an eye on them at all times. I don't mind my kids having an occasional soda or something, but knowing they would be drinking 6 or more cups of food coloring-laced drink each day of camp was too much for me!! They needed to know why I was concerned so they would understand that I'm not trying to make them different from everyone and I'm not crazy. They took water bottles and weren't tempted by the junk drinks once they understood why I was concerned.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:16 am
The truth is, that ops issue is a symptom of a bigger problem - that our schools use sweets as rewards. My son waz shabbos tatie and I was told to provide food for every bracha, and I was told specifically what to bring - chips for adamah (morah said no veggies. Chips.). Raisins for eitz. Grape juice. Cookies for mezonos. Lollie pops for shehakol. They get this every friday. And more for prizes. Imo, THATS the real issue.

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:25 am
Why do you think cookies are better than chips? They are full of sugar, fat and refined carbs.

I think you can talk to the school about giving so much soda. But I do agree with the poster who said that it was probably meant to share. I don't forbid nosh and when my kids come home with soda cans (from, parties, shalach manos etc) they often don't finish the can and I end up tossing out the rest anyway.

I agree though that being strict can backfire. I actually found out that sometimes I'd send dd with unhealthy snack, and a kid with the healthy snack would ask her to trade snacks, which she willingly agreed to.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:28 am
Parents need to use whatever clout that they have to influence the schools not to give out so much junk. Cookies and grape juice are enough for a Shabbos party. My kids went to small schools and I went to battle about any concern that I had. If enough parents hate a certain policy and complain about it, the school will address the complaints. Most schools don't want the parent body to be against the administration. If a number of parents all have the same concern, then come as a group. Shabbos Tatty spends $20+ and that is a big bite for some families. As much as I like dollar store tchotchkes, I draw the line at those little balls that are choking hazards. The same goes for marbles and little dreidels.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:57 am
southernbubby wrote:
Parents need to use whatever clout that they have to influence the schools not to give out so much junk. Cookies and grape juice are enough for a Shabbos party. My kids went to small schools and I went to battle about any concern that I had. If enough parents hate a certain policy and complain about it, the school will address the complaints. Most schools don't want the parent body to be against the administration. If a number of parents all have the same concern, then come as a group. Shabbos Tatty spends $20+ and that is a big bite for some families. As much as I like dollar store tchotchkes, I draw the line at those little balls that are choking hazards. The same goes for marbles and little dreidels.

Um why are schools having shabbos parties every week and why does a shabbos party need to involve food? I honestly do not understand this concept at all. I have no problem with children eating occasional treats and candies, but I do not understand why children need to bring snacks for the entire class every week. First of all, if the school wants to have such a program they should provide the supplies which includes food. Secondly, what is this incessant pushing of snacks and food? If my teacher would have passed out snacks during school I would have thought that she was off of the wall.. As a parent I would also be upset. I don't send my kids to school to have "shabbos parties complete with food." What a waste of educational time. Like I said, our class had the occasional pizza party at the end of the year and possibly in the middle of the year if we earned it through a competition, academic performance or the like. Otherwise, our entire day was focused on academic pursuits with lunch and recesses (which we called muncho - and yes, where we ate snacks). Teachers and students taking part in some "food party" is so bizarre.....
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children