Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Summer camp or not?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 6:28 pm
My almost 4 year old son just started his first school year in September. He cried for the first two days, but after that he was fine whenever I left him in his gan. I knew it would be a tough transition since he used to stay with me at home and didn't go to many play groups before. But I was actually surprised that he seemed to adjust to school in just two days. Well, at his gan he has one good friend over there, but the teacher told me that he's quiet and she has to put him in groups, otherwise he'd be playing by himself. For his first year, I think he's not doing so bad since he hasn't really been with kids that much.

My husband is thinking of sending him to a summer camp this coming summer. I told him that maybe it would be too much since he'll also be in a new school in September with new kids and he would have to get to know them again. He thinks a summer camp would be best for him so he'll be more with kids. I actually think that he'd be better with just some summer classes with kids, not a full day away from home.

There are some days that he tells me that he doesn't want to go to school because he's "scared". He always asks me if I'll be coming to pick him up and I think he's just scared of me leaving him by himself. So I told my husband that maybe a summer camp would be too much for him since he's still "scared" about being alone with kids and without me.

Today my husband mentioned the camp to him and he made him cry. He told my husband he doesn't want to go there.

I think my husband shouldn't force him to go to a summer camp. I was thinking just some summer classes with kids and not do something drastic like leave him for half a day with kids. Do you think my husband is right and we should force him to be with kids in a summer camp or should we do it in a slower approach?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 6:32 pm
he's four. he's allowed to be shy, scared, and dependent on parents. I'm a big fan of family time during the summer. I wouldn't force a small kid into a situation he is uncomfortable with if he has other options.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 6:35 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
he's four. he's allowed to be shy, scared, and dependent on parents. I'm a big fan of family time during the summer. I wouldn't force a small kid into a situation he is uncomfortable with if he has other options.

OP here
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was telling my husband that if we force him, he might get even more scared of being with kids. I was telling him that we should just take him to some playgroups/classes since he'll probably be scared of his new school in september as well.

ROFL

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 7:02 pm
Can you possibly find out who,will be in his class in sept and try to make plans with them over the summer? Camp is scary for a four year as they don't even know what camp means.
Kol hakavod that you can think about the summer in Feb!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers