Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO: Kosher Cod Liver Oil?

potatoes

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:21 pm
Has anyone found kosher cod liver oil? (For children)
Online, or in a pharmacy in Brooklyn?

smss

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:21 pm
I've been looking and looking without success.

following...

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:24 pm
A great many of Nature's Plus supplements are kosher. They are sold only in health food stores and some coops, but they will accept mail orders. Give them a google.

SorGold

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:01 am
I dont think there are any kosher ones to date. Some rabbis permit unflavored CLO.
Anyone want to jump on the bandwagon here and manufacture?... many people have been searching.

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:22 am
My brother spoke with two rabbonim in Lakewood who said that Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil is fine to take without a hechsher as the person who owns the company is SUPER strict about the purity of the oil.
It's also top of the line for quality. My naturopath told me that a number of people have come to her with mercury poisoning from taking cod liver oil for years. You have to be very careful where the oil is sourced from.

SorGold

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:24 am
Sparkle wrote:
My brother spoke with two rabbonim in Lakewood who said that Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil is fine to take without a hechsher as the person who owns the company is SUPER strict about the purity of the oil.
It's also top of the line for quality. My naturopath told me that a number of people have come to her with mercury poisoning from taking cod liver oil for years. You have to be very careful where the oil is sourced from.

Flavored or unflavored?

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:31 am
Either.
Just make sure you are purchasing the cod liver oil, and not anything else from the company.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:45 am
Any guidelines of how much to take? Adults? Children?

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:56 am
Without being tested for a deficiency, I'd say 1/4- 1/2 tsp a day for kids and 1/2-1 tsp a day for adults

But I'm not a doctor - just my recommendation

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:06 am
Are the capsules also ok,kashrut-wise? She's easier to get down than liquid for me, at least, not sure about kids. Do you keep taking it every day for life, or what?

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:08 am
We do.
Yes, capsules are fine also.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:18 am
Kosher vitamins dot com has various things that seem like it:

http://www.koshervitamins.com/.....edr=1

smss

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:32 pm
Sparkle wrote:

thanks for the info. I always wondered if that made a difference. guess I'll ask the shaila again and be more specific.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 10:12 pm
Sparkle wrote:

I just came across this: http://wellnessmama.com/59039/.....safe/

Sad

What do you think? Do you think this changes things?

I literally JUST took a teaspoon of FCLO...

L K

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:36 pm
Bumping

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:44 pm
If you want to avoid the FCLO debate, stick with rosita brand... great quality and not fermented.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 11:55 am
I would tell a rav the situation and see if he allows. It's for health and unpleasant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics