Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO warm and accepting community
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:14 pm
Is there such a place in the USA where the cost of living is low, decent professional jobs available say 50,000$ annual salary? Where there's fresh open space, mild weather..a warm and accepting community for a young BT family? I am having some real issues with where we are living now and really am seriously considering a move, any leads and info would be appreciated.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:19 pm
I'm waiting for a response as well...
I live in NYC so the cost of living is expensive, especially now that I'm also looking for jewish schools for my kids. Sometimes I'm thinking about making an aliyah because of this. It's not easy.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:22 pm
When you ask for warm weather-is that year round? Should all the imamothers only recommend locations in the South (of the US)?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:26 pm
I guess I mean mild weather, where we live now has artic cold 6 months out of the year. (Think below zero for 6 months) I am originally from New York and even that type of weather would be a blessing. But the tri state area is going to be too expensive, I was wondering about Virginia and North Carolina type areas, but am open to all suggestions.

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:26 pm
Boca Raton is supposed to be a very welcoming community, and warm too, weather wise.

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:36 pm
Maya wrote:
Boca Raton is supposed to be a very welcoming community, and warm too, weather wise.

Ditto
They have great jewish schools also

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:37 pm
St. Louis

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:37 pm
cbg wrote:
Ditto
They have great jewish schools also

Cost of living? Job availability'?

Chavas

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:45 pm
Milwaukee is a wonderful community that is very affordable. Cleveland is too, and has a bit more variety. Dallas is growing and lots of BTs. Denver is also nice.

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:47 pm
Chavas wrote:
Milwaukee is a wonderful community that is very affordable. Cleveland is too, and has a bit more variety. Dallas is growing and lots of BTs. Denver is also nice.

Dallas probably has nice weather most of the yr. Although, I think it is very hot in the summer. From what I've heard, it's a very friendly place. The others aren't warm.

ETA, warm in temperature. I am sure they are warm communities.

Last edited by luppamom on Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:52 pm
Good ideas, thank you. How do I start looking into them? I'm googling but it's overwhelming. My dh isn't really interested in moving to the USA, and he would have to become a USA citizen but I really want to find a good community, have a plan and show him the research I've done. Anyone live in any of these places so you can give me firsthand info about the community? Thank you.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 4:51 pm
I am moving to Cincinnati for some of those reasons. Hashem_yaazor has been a great resource. You can also look through old threads.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
Is there such a place in the USA where the cost of living is low, decent professional jobs available say 50,000$ annual salary? Where there's fresh open space, mild weather..a warm and accepting community for a young BT family? I am having some real issues with where we are living now and really am seriously considering a move, any leads and info would be appreciated.

whether $50k will actually be decent is going to depend on which place ;-)

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 5:31 pm
There's no utopia (although I think I remember a satirical thread on that) but they're are quite a few wonderful communities around the US that can fill most of your criteria. The first thing you need to do is rewrite your list in order of how important each thing is for you, and then research cities according to your needs.

Do you absolutely need warm weather? Then don't even bother researching Milwaukee or Denver or Minneapolis, because those places get very cold.

Decent professional jobs are the top priority? (Not sure where you live now, but in the US, unless you have a tertiary source of income like parental support, $50,000 each annually might not be such a decent income.) Stay away from Detroit and South Bend then.

What style community are you looking for? Yeshivish, MO, Chabad? All these questions affect your options.

Give us a better idea of what you need and we can better guide you to the places that might be a good fit for you.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:29 pm
There is no utopia, but I think Houston could be near utopia for you.

we have many young BT families and the cost of living is not as high as the rest of the country.
You shouldn't have much of an issue finding a job that pays 50k+ our job market is booming

check out http://www.movetohouston.org/

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:35 pm
Atlanta is a very nice community. From what I understand there are jobs there. Cost of living isn't the lowest, but my better than NY. It is a very warm and friendly community with a real Southern feel. And winters tend to be mild. PM me for more info.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
There is no utopia, but I think Houston could be near utopia for you.

we have many young BT families and the cost of living is not as high as the rest of the country.
You shouldn't have much of an issue finding a job that pays 50k+ our job market is booming

check out http://www.movetohouston.org/

Op here this sounds great. Do you live in Houston? I will show my dh the website. I do have some questions about how to go about finding him a job in the public school system and getting teacher certification there and work permit or whatever it is. (I am a us citizen, married to Canadian)

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 3:27 pm
you can email the person who runs the site braysoaksjewish@gmail.com
she will be able o connect you with whomever can help you with the job situation
there are many members of the community that work the local school systems

or check out their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Houst.....unity

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 3:31 pm
Somewhere over the rainbow LOL

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
you can email the person who runs the site braysoaksjewish@gmail.com
she will be able o connect you with whomever can help you with the job situation
there are many members of the community that work the local school systems

or check out their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Houst.....unity

Thank you so much
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating