Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Any MM ideas for rich / fancy people
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Imogen

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 10:19 am
Some wise words up here! Just realised those lavish ( slightly embarrassingly fancy) mms we have received have been due to business, friends give a nice little something and if sent by a cute messenger even better.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 10:55 am
I don't think I've heard of sending MM to clients. RH cards, in the big very fancy firms, maybe.

Mevater

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:00 am
Heres a good place to look:

http://www.hostessinternationa......html

Theres one for $98 that has a useful magazine rack. or you can buy a magazine rack and fill it yourself similarly.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:24 am
Here's what I've done many times*:

Find a really nice iron or wire basket/ tray. Line it with beautiful linen napkins (usually 2 will do, depends on size). Buy or bake some good quality breads and baked goods. Include some flavored olive oil, fancy salt (like those pink types or whatever looks nice), a fancy jar of preserves, a bottle of wine, and toss in some foil wrapped chocolates or even some fresh fruit. Wrap the whole thing in cellophane with a fancy bow.

*Not for rich/fancy people, but to show hakaras hatov to very special people in our lives.

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:27 am
it would be nice to get away from the wine and chocolates. I like the idea of breads, olive oil and other real foods. Go to a gourmet store and get some nice stuff.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:36 am
How about a 20 year-old bottle of scotch and two full sized challahs.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:47 am
Mevater wrote:
Heres a good place to look:

http://www.hostessinternationa......html

Theres one for $98 that has a useful magazine rack. or you can buy a magazine rack and fill it yourself similarly.

We received the magazine rack ( something similar) from a business contact a few yrs ago. Obviously there was nothing in there that we couldn't just go out and buy ourselves (and we don't drink wine..). But the presentation is was matters here. We still have the magazine rack in the corner of our bathroom yrs later and we appreciated the nice gift.

Maya

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 12:30 pm
This is just so wrong.
We should be giving the nice gifts and expensive bottles of scotch to those who can't otherwise afford it, not to those who get a hundred of them throughout Purim

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 12:48 pm
Maya wrote:
This is just so wrong.
We should be giving the nice gifts and expensive bottles of scotch to those who can't otherwise afford it, not to those who get a hundred of them throughout Purim

Yes!!! This!!! I love getting anything - we usually get under 10 mm. But what were not fancy or rich so no one givea us fancy. Do you really think those people notice or even care?

One thing thats happened to me before is that when Ive gone out of my way to give a fancy lady mm (just my typical one, nothing special), the maid answers the door anyways. Nothing is handed back and I do the walk of shame back to my car. I feel like a doofus, and fancy Nancy doesent acknowledge it.

doctorima

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 2:37 pm
While I'm not saying there's a need to go over the top, for those who are jumping on OP for wanting to get nicer MM for wealthy friends, I remember learning once that MM are supposed to be proportionate to the giver, meaning that people who are accustomed to getting more chashuv gifts should also get more chashuv MM. This doesn't just relate to wealthy people; I think we all understand that we wouldn't give our Rav, Rosh Yeshiva, or school principal a little plastic bag with a candy bar and can of soda, so if OP has people of means to give to and wants to impress them, I think there's a halachic basis for doing so (within reason).

Simple1

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 2:57 pm
doctorima wrote:
While I'm not saying there's a need to go over the top, for those who are jumping on OP for wanting to get nicer MM for wealthy friends, I remember learning once that MM are supposed to be proportionate to the giver, meaning that people who are accustomed to getting more chashuv gifts should also get more chashuv MM. This doesn't just relate to wealthy people; I think we all understand that we wouldn't give our Rav, Rosh Yeshiva, or school principal a little plastic bag with a candy bar and can of soda, so if OP has people of means to give to and wants to impress them, I think there's a halachic basis for doing so (within reason).

Are you sure there'a a halachic source for this, as opposed to someone's opinion you heard? Those you listed anyway are usually not wealthy and could often use a nice food gift. And you can give grape juice or wine instead of soda.

I do understand if OP has a hakaras hatov obligation and doesn't want to come across cheaply. In that case I'd probably send a professionally made package.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 12:44 pm
morah wrote:
Why do you care that she wants to impress people? Is she taking scholarships at your school while you struggle to pay full tuition? Is she spending food stamps on a box of Godivas due to this need to impress? So she wants to impress. Maybe it's not necessary, so what? How does it harm you if she chooses to make a little more work and expense for herself to impress a few people?

Please don't become a professional mind-reader, you are bad at it.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 2:33 pm
if you're on Facebook there's s/o names Gitty Lowinger in the purim themes and ideas for shalach manos that makes gorgeous and original shalach manos. maybe try contacting her?
Gitty Lowinger

amother

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 8:44 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Please don't become a professional mind-reader, you are bad at it.

imasoftov, Im not sure why you insist on all the bashing. If you cant give the advice I asked for without bashing, please don't read this thread. If I decided to spent $100 per MM, that is my decision. Why do you have such issue with that? Did I come to you for the money?

amother

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 9:20 pm
For nice fancy ones, I just order them. Yes, it's more expensive but I order from a tzedaka org, so I justify it like that and it really makes my life so much less stressful than figuring out what to send and if it's good, etc

Another idea I send to my father, so not sure that will work for strangers, but he gets TONS of beautiful and fancy mm, we all come over and take what we want Smile

So I send over a bottle of Mashka I know he likes with some chopped liver and food he'll eat during the day. He always appreciates the food so much.

BrachaBatya

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 9:33 pm
Good chocolate. Nice jams or fruit preserves. Fancy sea salt. Wine. Yum!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:01 am
amother wrote:
imasoftov, Im not sure why you insist on all the bashing. If you cant give the advice I asked for without bashing, please don't read this thread. If I decided to spent $100 per MM, that is my decision. Why do you have such issue with that? Did I come to you for the money?

But you didn't say you decided to, you said you needed to. Make up your mind (or minds in case you're also one of the people posting non-anonymously in this thread).

Etztamar

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:32 am
I live in an area that used to be like where I grew up, a small, middle class suburb. Since I moved here six years ago, things changed very very quickly. We basically have become the "poorer people" in town LOL even though combined we earn a nice living. Investors and wealthy people have come in, bought up the old houses, knocked them down and built mansion after mansion after mansion. They are springing up like hot cakes. It's very beautiful but also frustrating walking up and down the block seeing hese homes and the clothes the people wear and the cars etc etc and knowing unless a miracle happens and you win the lottery or find out you inherited millions from a relative you never even knew about, you will never be able to have even an iota materrially what your neigbbors have. And this is where I think the answer comes to the question "Why are the rich hated?"

J.K Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series, and a rags to billionaire riches story, recently was quoted as being downsized from billionaire status to multimillionaire status because she gives "too much" to charity. She quoted that when you are given more money than you can possiby ever need, you have an enormous responsibility placed in your lap to do what's right with the money. I am not going to point fingers at individual Jews because despite the luxurious homes and clothes etc they enjoy, I have no idea what they do with their money and I am only assuming that they use it properly for enromous chesed as Hashem intended. The jealousy we feel though is understandable for two reasons: 1)we see their elegance and luxury and wonder why we weren't given the same gift and feel slighted that we are struggling while they seem to have it all and have it easy and 2)we want to do chesed but we don't have the means like they do. The answer to both is Hashem gives us exactly what we need and we don't need to work on the chesed with money like they do. If we did, we'd have been given the money too. So we should feel good that stinginess and givng is not a huge task for us in this life and be happy giving from whatever we can.

There is another point though. We have been told time and again not to live in external material excess in Galus because it spurs jealousy among the nations. Unfortunately, we have not learned our lesson. Building luxurious homes and driving luxurous cars and wearing luxurious clothes is an external manifestation screaming "I've got money" and people are human and the green eyed monster will come out even in the best of us. It's wonderful that many rich people build simcha halls and host events and shabbos guestsin their large homes, but they also may not realize they create extreme jealousy with their external manifestations of their wealth. I'm human and not perfect. My take on this is if you've got it, enjoy it quietly but don't flaunt it. But, that is myopinion. The One who truly knnows who uses the wealth He gifts to those He gifts it to is the ultimate One everyone will have to answer to about their deeds, both rich and poor. But this is in my opinion why the rich are hated. (NO, I do not hate the rich--just sharing my thoughts)

besty

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:55 am
https://mail.google.com/mail/u.....tsh=1

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 12:18 pm
Everyone loves delicious home baked treats.

Depending on what is "trendy" right now, you could go a head and impress the "fancy people" with home made jelly, jam or chutney in what ever is the exotic flavor currently. Send it in a cute jar or deli container with cute lables. (I know there is a big need to do something cute.) & with some fresh baked rolls and bread sticks.

Chipotle was recently one & I was so excited to find chipotle powder in my grocery store. Now everything tastes like Chipotle for about a year in my house, so if I am one of the fancy people you want to impress, pick a different spice. I guess you will have to watch some of those fancy cooking shows for research.

Look! Here is an on-line source to order deli containers, muffin packaging just like they have in the store, Chinese containers for that Dim Sum theme you always wanted to do.

http://www.webstaurantstore.co......html

Also paper plate with plastic wrap and a post-it note are equally effective for accomplishing the mitsvah.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics