Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Infant wakes up

amother

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:47 am
I have a 4 month old preemie (34 weeks, so more like 2.5 months)
She was sleeping very well - going to sleep between 9-11, I stuck bottle in her mouth every three hours so I didn't have to pick her up, and didn't make a peep until 8 am. She also sleeps 4-5 hours during the day taking hourlong naps.

Now she wakes up every night at 2 am and cries loudly. She won't take the bottle unless we take her out and hold her, which necessitates rocking her back to sleep.

What could be the problem and how could I get more sleep at night? I'm not willing to do cry it out because generally she only cries in pain and is happy to go to sleep when she's tired. She has a very happy temperament and is very easygoing, only cries from major discomfort. But what could be hurting her at 2am when she is perfectly happy between 11 and 2?

sheep

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:56 am
Try a modified version of crying it out, like waiting to pick her up.

asp40

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 10:19 am
She is growing and is probably hungry and possibly lonely. If she wakes once that is amazing for her age. I would go with it. Give her what she needs.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 10:44 am
There is a problem. But it is easily solved.

You are the problem.

Your kid has a universal and very ancient need to be physically held and rocked, and not by a swing, by a human being. And not a maid or helper girl. YOU.

The problem is that something inside you isn't knowing or liking that, for the moment.

She's a preemie; maybe you weren't quite ready.

Maybe the birth was traumatic.

In fact, that's inevitable as she didn't show up at the normal time in the normal way.

Practice with a doll.

Acknowledge any resentment (I am not saying you have any, just that you might).

Now, pick up and rock the kid.

As everyone says: when the baby sleeps, you sleep.

I am sure you are a bit wrung out from the whole thing; I hope you are eating well. and getting lots of hugs, and I hope you feel better.

In fact, have someone rock YOU. It's ok if it's a jokey thing, but say, I need to be rocked TOO. Clamber onto an understanding adult lap, and don't quit until they have rocked you and sung you a silly song.

Hugs from here.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:39 am
Please do not do cio this baby is wayyy to young and a preemie to boot. Nothing is hurting the baby she just needs to be held- that rocking is actually important bonding for both of you. Dolly explained it well.

Miri7

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:48 am
Sounds pretty normal to me. Adjust your sleep schedule so it's not so rough on you.

I've started going to bed about an hour earlier than usual and it has made the midnight waking and nursing and rocking so much better. It's now a really sweet time together in the middle of the night.

Sneaking in daytime naps would be great for you too if that's possible.

This too shall pass...

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 11:49 am
Surprise surprise !
Infants wake up at night! And they scream! And they're hard to figure out sometimes!
And they're overwhelming and lots of hard work!
And they can drive you crazy too!
If you let an infant that age CIO, you are neglecting and abusing your child.

Am I the only one so bothered by these kind of posts?

PAMOM

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 2:44 pm
This is normal infant behavior. She needs to be held to develop psychologically. That's a crucial need unless you want a child with possible attachments disorders. All baby primates exhibit a need to be held. And before I come down too hard (because I know having a baby is overwhelming), check with your pediatrician about feeding without holding the baby. Most child experts (pediatricians and psychologists) feel that's a very bad idea.

wife613

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 12:41 pm
If shes a preemie and was in hospital after birth, she may b wanting the extra physical closeness. I have an almost 12 month old preemie (28 1/2 weeks) who still needs holding to be put to sleep and wakes at night for feeds or just for a cuddle. It's tough and I sympathise! Hope it gets easier for you soon!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics