Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wearing a floor length gown to a dinner

amother

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 9:59 pm
Do you think I can wear a floor length gown to a Black Tie optional school dinner?
The gown is not poofy. Its a soft flowy material..black with beading around the waist line. It's pretty plain but it's the nicest thing I own. It will look nicer with some jewelry. I can't show up in a sweater and skirt. I need to go a little fancier. What do you think?

PAMOM

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 10:08 pm
Definitely yes. Black tie means gown; optional means gown or short cocktail dress. You'll be fine.

SingALong

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 10:39 pm
The dinners in my area nobody wears gowns. Most ppl wear short party dresses or dressier Shabbos outfits. Can you speak to other ladies you know who are going and ask them what they're wearing?

nyer1

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 11:53 pm
Black tie optional u can definitely wear a gown

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:03 am
Black tie? No, not to me.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 9:23 am
Ruchel wrote:
Black tie? No, not to me.

Black Tie is definitely...long gown. The question is when it is a Black Tie optional event.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 2:32 pm
Black tie optional means you may, if you wish, wear a long gown and your dh may, if he wishes, wear a black tux but neither of you is so obligated. I suspect that black tie optional is not recognized by the arbiters of high-society social etiquette, in which an event is either formal enough to require formal wear, or it is not. Black tie optional means "this is a very dressy affair so wear something fancy. None of this "nice outfit suitable for shul on a regular Shabbos" business. This here's a fancy grownup PARTY--dress accordingly!"

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:04 pm
op here, I did not end up wearing a gown...I managed to find a short black dress last minute...wore it with a skirt and jewelry. It ended up snowing that night so I'm glad I had the option to go shorter...only one woman wore a gown...no tuxes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics