Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Who pays for the dining room and bedroom set?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

who buys dining room and bedroom furniture?
boy's parents  
 1%  [ 2 ]
girl's parents  
 6%  [ 9 ]
both parents pay half  
 23%  [ 34 ]
the newlywed couple  
 68%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 142

Miri7

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 3:34 pm
We are MO. My parents asked what furniture we needed as wedding gift. They suggested giving a dining set and we accepted. We got our own mattresses without headboard, just the metal support things. We brought our own mismatched dressers. Later as we could afford, we upgraded to a nice bed frame and nice dresser.

My inlaws from the beginning wanted to give us a nice honeymoon trip which was fantastic.

We are both lucky to have parents who can and want to be so generous.

silbergirl

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:42 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
Party Bounce Cheers Ice cream Im with stupid Wave Queen Flower King Salut Black Eye Bounce King Party Bounce Cheers Ice cream Im with stupid Wave Queen Flower King Salut Black Eye Bounce King Party Bounce Cheers Ice cream Im with stupid Wave Queen Flower King Salut Black Eye Bounce King

??? Opinionated, what does that mean?? Im with stupid means, you disagree Smile

To all, yep, yekkis think theyre the most aristocratic Jews out there... lol. But other groups have similar attitudes, actually. Syrian, Persian and some Chasidim, too.
Actually, its a common Jewish thing, we all just love to put ourselves and others in boxes and think OUR hashkafa or ancestry is the best in the world and everyone else is barbarian... Tongue Out

When my parents got married, they got the old diningroom and livingroom sets from my grandparents. I think my mum finally bought a livingroom set on her own 15 years after the wedding. And this inherited diningroom set was just recently replaced (after almost 35 years of marriage) by (nice and antique, though) furniture from my maternal greatgrandparents. Smile Smile Smile
I think that is European mentality. We are happy to recieve second hand furniture and we love "upcycling" and preserving.

Goes through all European cultures. I am a Yekki but hubby is Hungarian. And his family also used to live very modestly. Maybe it is really all about the difference in mentality between Europe and the US?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics