Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Green garlic
1  2  Next

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 12:54 pm
I chopped garlic in a mini chopper and I put it in a ziplock bag. The garlic turned green. Is it ok to use? Is it a reaction from the oxygen?

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 3:01 pm
Old garlic that has begun to sprout will have yellowish-green bits in the center--these are the new sprouts and should be discarded. They are harmless but taste bitter. If you see fresh-looking little green bits scattered throughout, that may be what that is. If, however, the green appears to be growing on the surfaces, looks fuzzy, looks bluish-green rather than yellowish-green, or smells "off", throw the whole mess out. Garlic does not turn green from oxygen.

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 3:45 pm
The garlic was fresh. I chopped a lot of garlic in the mini chopper and put it in a zip lock bag to use the next day,as prep. The garlic turned green. No fuzz, just green. Is this normal. Is it safe to use.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:13 pm
I wouldn't use garlic that turned green

next time put some olive oil in it ... to preserve it

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:15 pm
I've kept freshly chopped garlic in my fridge tightly wrapped for days and never seen any green. I can't tell you for sure that your garlic is bad, but I'd be alarmed enough to toss it.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:52 pm
From http://whatscookingamerica.net.....c.htm

Garlic is known to contain sulfur compounds which can react with minute traces of copper to form copper sulfate, a blue or blue-green compound. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies. Raw garlic contains an enzyme that if not inactivated by heating reacts with sulfur (in the garlic) and copper (from water or utensils) to form blue copper sulfate. The garlic is still safe to eat.

If fresh garlic is picked before it is fully mature and hasn't been properly dried, it can turn and iridescent blue or green color when in the presence of an acid. It may be caused by an allinin derivative.

A reaction between garlic's natural sulfur content and any copper in your water supply, or in the cooking utensils your are using (such as cast iron, tin, or aluminum) can sometimes change the color of garlic.

The other sources of copper might be butter, lemon juice, or vinegar.

Garlic will also turn green (develop chlorophyll) if exposed to an temperature change or is exposed to sunlight. Some people say it can be stored for 32 days at or above 70 - 80° F to prevent greening (but I'm not yet sure that is true).

Different varieties or growing conditions can actually produce garlic with an excess natural bluish/green pigmentation (anthocyanins*) made more visible after pickling.

Don't worry, greenish-blue color changes aren't harmful and your garlic is still safe to eat. (unless you see other signs of spoilage).

*********************************************************************************************

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:56 pm
thank you zaq for the garlic can be green lesson ...

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:09 pm
greenfire wrote:
thank you zaq for the garlic can be green lesson ...

Food chemistry is so cool! I have personally never seen this garlic phenomenon though when I stick garlic cloves in turkey flesh, the place where the flesh touches the garlic develops a sort of bluish tinge. I knew it was not spoilage because I cook my turkey very, very well. I assumed it was something similar to the bluish tinge that develops on cakes baked with walnuts. Seems that that is a simple "litmus" type reaction--a color change mediated by change in pH. Supposedly using aluminum-free baking powder will eliminate this somewhat unsightly reaction in baked goods.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 5:58 pm
I've never experienced the greening of garlic. My garlic harvest takes place when its still very hot outside and the garlic braids are usually hung outside for a month or two so perhaps thats why?

I too love food science.

Did you know that if your hands smell of onions or garlic you can rub them over some stainless steel to neutralize the odor?

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:18 pm
using baking soda on my hands I rub them clean on my metal [stainless?] qvart ... never smells

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:20 pm
[quote="zaq"]From http://whatscookingamerica.net.....c.htm

Garlic is known to contain sulfur compounds which can react with minute traces of copper to form copper sulfate, a blue or blue-green compound. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies. Raw garlic contains an enzyme that if not inactivated by heating reacts with sulfur (in the garlic) and copper (from water or utensils) to form blue copper sulfate. The garlic is still safe to eat.

If fresh garlic is picked before it is fully mature and hasn't been properly dried, it can turn and iridescent blue or green color when in the presence of an acid. It may be caused by an allinin derivative.

A reaction between garlic's natural sulfur content and any copper in your water supply, or in the cooking utensils your are using (such as cast iron, tin, or aluminum) can sometimes change the color of garlic.

The other sources of copper might be butter, lemon juice, or vinegar.

Garlic will also turn green (develop chlorophyll) if exposed to an temperature change or is exposed to sunlight. Some people say it can be stored for 32 days at or above 70 - 80° F to prevent greening (but I'm not yet sure that is true).

Different varieties or growing conditions can actually produce garlic with an excess natural bluish/green pigmentation (anthocyanins*) made more visible after pickling.

Don't worry, greenish-blue color changes aren't harmful and your garlic is still safe to eat. (unless you see other signs of spoilage).

*********************************************************************************************[/quote
That's it. It's a blue green.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:23 pm
greenfire wrote:
using baking soda on my hands I rub them clean on my metal [stainless?] qvart ... never smells

What's a qvart?

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:25 pm
a washing cup ... maybe in yiddish What Dont know

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:28 pm
greenfire wrote:
a washing cup ... maybe in yiddish What Dont know

TY I did the google thing and that didn't work. Perhaps it is stainless.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:40 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I've never experienced the greening of garlic. My garlic harvest takes place when its still very hot outside and the garlic braids are usually hung outside for a month or two so perhaps thats why?

I too love food science.

Did you know that if your hands smell of onions or garlic you can rub them over some stainless steel to neutralize the odor?

Yep. Clever entrepreneurs invented a soap-shaped bar of stainless steel and sold it as a "magic" device to get rid of the odor. But all I do is rub my hands on my stainless steel sink, or on a piece of stainless flatware if I happen to be washing dishes. But in truth, the smell of fresh garlic on my hands does not offend me. Garlic odor is offensive to me only when it is second-hand, having been first processed through someone's body and now being exhaled or exuded from their skin. The smell of FRESH garlic is delicious, the way the smell of fresh pizza is delicious.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:43 pm
zaq wrote:
Yep. Clever entrepreneurs invented a soap-shaped bar of stainless steel and sold it as a "magic" device to get rid of the odor. But all I do is rub my hands on my stainless steel sink, or on a piece of stainless flatware if I happen to be washing dishes. But in truth, the smell of fresh garlic on my hands does not offend me. Garlic odor is offensive to me only when it is second-hand, having been first processed through someone's body and now being exhaled or exuded from their skin. The smell of FRESH garlic is delicious, the way the smell of fresh pizza is delicious.

Yup that's how I feel. Tonight I'm making broccoli 'sauce' for my pasta and I usually add about 10 chopped cloves to a recipe that only calls for 4. I love the smell of garlic cooking!

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:45 pm
should we make a private garlic forum ... Mr. Green

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:22 pm
Look , Brocolli sauce sounds yum
Can I have the recipe
But only if I can use my green garlic.

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:26 pm
Ooo, Brocolli sauce sounds yum
Can I have the recipe

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:36 pm
cbg wrote:
Ooo, Brocolli sauce sounds yum
Can I have the recipe

Is it ok if I put it here? I don't know how to use the recipe button.

Use 1.5 C of broccoli per person. If frozen defrost and pat dry. If fresh, peel stems and do your usual checking etc. Mince or process in a food processor until the bits are about half the size of popcorn.

Put your pasta on to boil, I like rotelli since it holds the broccoli.

Mince garlic (1/2 clove per serving or more) and saute garlic in EVOO add your broccoli and salt as needed. (Salt keeps fresh broccoli green). Drain your pasta reserving 1C of cooking water for each two servings of broccoli. Throw everything back in the past pot and mix. Serve with grated cheese and bread. You can over or undercook your broccoli, depending on how you like it I often add crumbled dried tomatoes to it since I usually have gallons of them. Grated lemon zest is a nice addition too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen