Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Would you appreciate a $10 gift card at Starbucks?
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 9:18 am
the carafe that the coffee is brewed in is washed in the same dishwasher as the treif utensils used for the non kosher food ie hot ham sandwiches (which are now being sold in many of the kiosk type stores as well as the full walk in stores) making the carafe treif. That's the problem that many people have with starbucks. It's not so simple to say it's just coffee...

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
the carafe that the coffee is brewed in is washed in the same dishwasher as the treif utensils used for the non kosher food ie hot ham sandwiches (which are now being sold in many of the kiosk type stores as well as the full walk in stores) making the carafe treif. That's the problem that many people have with starbucks. It's not so simple to say it's just coffee...

Why are you amother? Do you have a source for this?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:24 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Why are you amother? Do you have a source for this?

I am not the one who posted that but I do recall seeing a document about these things from the Star-K. I am not sure if this is exactly what Star-K said or if it was just a similar treatment about the topic, but that would be a good resource to look up if one wanted to learn more.

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:26 am
regarding the topic of starbucks, I think the CRC has a fairly extensive guide to what the kashrus issues are, etc... worth reading.

Now, back to gift cards: I personally would appreciate a $10 gift card to starbucks. I feel like I can get something there for that money. I can get a coffee, and there are usually prepackaged items with a hechsher. If not, I can pass it on to my kids secular studies teachers/school secretary/SLP, etc...

I would NOT appreciate a $10 gift card to, lets say, Barnes and Noble, because there is not much there that I can get for $10, and I have to add money on to spend it.

I once received an $18 gift card to an upscale gift/housewares store in my neighborhood. There was nothing there for that amount! I think the least expensive item there was in the $30 range. Of course, I appreciated the thought, but it wasn't particularly useful to me.

When I was engaged, my MIL gave me a $100 gift certificate to Bloomingdales. Again, while I appreciated the thought, a $100 g.c. to Bloomingdales wasn't going to take me very far. $100 to Macy's would have carried me farther, ykwim?

Personally, I don't like to give g.c. to places like Target/grocery store/walmart. I want the person to ENJOY herself with the money!

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:41 am
Totally agree with above points that
1. Gift card that can't buy anything complete/significant is not a good gift (yes, I've gotten those too... not a gift if you have to spend more to redeem it. Starbucks is good because you can buy something within $10)
2. Gift card to Target/Amazon/Visa does not feel like a gift because it doesn't feel like a treat, if that's where I usually do my shopping the small GC just gets absorbed into the family budget. Not to look a gift card in the mouth but it isn't as meaningful as something more classy.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:55 am
Since you're writing individual notes anyway, I'd probably personalize the gift cards, too.

Is there a popular coffee shop or fast food place that most of the workers patronize? If so, that's perfect. Is there a cafeteria that the workers generally use? Ask if you can buy gift cards -- a lot of hospitals and health care sites have cafeterias that are used by employees and guests, and they frequently sell pre-paid cards as a convenience.

Most people, particularly those who don't earn a lot of money, have to budget carefully in order to eat a hot lunch in the cafeteria or even at a local fast food place rather than bringing a sandwich from home. A $10 gift card that can be used for lunch is very appreciated.

The Jewish staff members can receive a Starbuck's card or a card to someplace local you know they purchase coffee, soft drinks, or whatever. I wouldn't worry overly about the fact that you're giving gift cards to different establishments; I don't think anyone will notice or care.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:39 pm
OP here.

Thanks for all your input! You've given me great ideas. I'll try to let you know what I end up doing and how it goes over.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:10 pm
I am an OT.
I am well aware that the kids I treat are often being seen by large teams of professionals. I am well aware that raising kids is an expensive undertaking, raising special kids so much more so.
So when parents of kids I treat dig into their pockets to express appreciation to me, I am beyond grateful.
Over the years, I've received everything from keychains to personalized leather wallets. My all time favorite gift is a card to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Those are luxuries I often deny myself, but when I have that card in my purse, I'll make the extra stop for a hot cup of coffee when I need the treat. $10 is enough for several stops.
And I feel the love of the child and the parents every time.

imaima

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 3:26 am
amother wrote:
If you were a CNA, OT, teacher's assistant or receptionist, (some of the many -25 or 30?- people I need to gift at DDs rehab facility), would you appreciate a $10 Starbucks gift card? I'd write a really nice card to go with it.

I would appreciate anything I am given.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 3:35 am
amother wrote:

there is an opinion that chemicals in the dishwasher kill all the taste from both of them anyway.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:56 am
Victoria Dwek wrote an extensive article about the kashrus issues with Starbucks in an ami Living about 2 yrs ago. I remember being so surprised; but it definitely helped save me from kashrus blunders, bc my obstetrician's office was across from starbucks and I almost bought a coffee there when doing my 3 hour sugar test.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics