Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Babies make money, so sad
Previous  1  2

Jeanette

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:08 pm
Barbara wrote:
How?

In New York, the most that you can receive per foster child is $709/month, or $8,508 per year.

The maximum food stamps you can receive are, what, not quite $200/month for the first person, less for each additional person. So we'll put it at $200, just to be generous. TANF, AIUI, has lifetime limits AND requires you to work. But at the max, its around $770. So between the two, you've got $11,640.

Or total of $20,148 per foster child.

Where is the additional $40,000 coming from?

I'm not talking about foster care.

I'm talking about a single mother on welfare.

She can get: food stamps, housing, WIC, medicaid, welfare payments and subsidized childcare, plus a few other programs I may be forgetting, and there's the EIC.

If you choose to work instead and your salary is, say, $45k, you are also paying taxes and you're paying all these expenses out of pocket. So welfare mom comes out ahead. That's why it's called the welfare cliff.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:17 pm
Jeanette wrote:

She can get: food stamps, housing, WIC, medicaid, welfare payments and subsidized childcare, plus a few other programs I may be forgetting, and there's the EIC.

If you choose to work instead and your salary is, say, $45k, you are also paying taxes and you're paying all these expenses out of pocket. So welfare mom comes out ahead. That's why it's called the welfare cliff.

And yet the claim of $60K per year is still unsubstantiated.

newmom1987

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:02 pm
I was hoping this thread would be about a job my baby could do. (modeling? He is so cute!) We could use the money!
lol

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:13 pm
newmom1987 wrote:
I was hoping this thread would be about a job my baby could do. (modeling? He is so cute!) We could use the money!
lol

I thought so too! The sad part being the mother blowing the money on something frivolous.

nyer1

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:18 pm
Disclaimer: I only read the first post of the the thread

The sad reality is that there are probably frum Jews who do this too

chaiz

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:30 pm
Jeanette wrote:

Wait, is not the EIC for those who work? Or can an accountant tax professional correct me, please?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 9:33 pm
"and nobody has to go to work!"

LOL LOL LOL Seriously? In what universe is taking care of a lot of kids "not work"?

Because if that is a real place, I want to move there. Rolling Eyes

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 1:28 am
chaiz wrote:
Wait, is not the EIC for those who work? Or can an accountant tax professional correct me, please?

I'm pretty sure you can be working poor and qualify for the EIC.

marina

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:20 am
Jeanette wrote:

Could you actually give an example, backed up by citations? What state are you talking about? How many kids? How are you getting subsidized childcare if you're not working? That doesn't usually happen.

And a single mom with 45K in salary? Hey, depending on how many kids she has and what state she lives in, she will likely be eligible for many of the above benefits as well. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:21 am
newmom1987 wrote:
lol

I thought it was going to be about child labor in the Third World.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics