Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why do we keep getting sick?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:38 am
It has been such an awful winter for us! One thing after another - colds, strep, flu (real flu, positive nose swab type) ear infections... you get the idea. I don't think a week has gone by without me and/or DH having to take at least one day off work to stay home with a sick child (we only have two!)

What am I doing wrong?!

I'm a little messy so I worry that maybe my poor housekeeping is contributing... but we always eat clean, fresh food off clean or disposable dishes. We don't share drinks or utensils. Everyone's hands get washed with soap when we come in from outside, after using the bathroom, and before meals and bedtime. We try to eat a generally healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, proteins, whole grains, and not too much sugar. The kids eat plenty of probiotic yogurt and one takes a vitamin+iron supplement (the other one had fine iron levels at her yearly checkup) I also diffuse essential oils that are supposed to help fight germs, and at the beginning of the fall/winter season it seemed like it was helping because we were not getting sick and everyone else was (and we had some episodes of looking like we were about to come down with colds and then they didn't end up happening) but now that we got into this mode of being sick it seems like we just keep being sick with one thing after another and nothing seems to help.

For one of them it's her first year in school (daycare really) so she could be picking up more stuff there, but even considering that it still seems very excessive. Also the older kid was already in school bringing home germs for a year before that, during which the younger one caught most of that too, so I thought/hoped she had a head start on building immunity...

I'm losing it Sad And worrying about my poor sick kids (I caught some of the bugs myself, but not as many or as bad as the kids)

What can I do?!

Kumphort

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:52 am
No advice but was going to come here to post something similar so looking for good responses.

luvinlife

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:56 am
do you have mold in your house or is it very dusty?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:03 am
I don't think we have mold. I get worried about our air conditioner but that's all sealed up now because it's winter. It may be medium-dusty because as I said my housekeeping isn't the greatest. Could that be causing constant colds/flu/ear infections/strep/etc though? And if it is, where do I even start?! I can never seem to get ahead of cleaning, I try not to let it get too bad and I actually vacuumed everywhere a few weeks ago... didn't stop us from getting sick again but I don't vacuum often (I don't have carpets or rugs) so that was a drastic move for me.

luvinlife

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:08 am
we use to get sick form dusty air conditoners and mold so that's why I'm asking. yeah I guess to vacume often would help maybe

myself

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:03 pm
I've had the same problem with my kids so this year I contacted a local naturopath who made me a tincture of vitamins A, D along with herbs such as echinacea and others that I can't recall. I give it to the problematic ones daily and I can honestly say that this is the first year that my 8 year old hasn't been coughing through the night all winter. Amazing b'h! Have you ever tried echinacea?

smss

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:14 pm
oy, not fun. Sad

do you take vitamin D? elderberry syrup?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:42 pm
myself, where's "local" and who's your naturopath? Did they charge an arm, a leg, or your firstborn?

Don't know anything about elderberry or echinacea... will begin googling... one DD takes a multivitamin and I take a multivitamin plus extra D. The other kiddo doesn't take anything and neither does DH who has not gotten sick nearly as much as the rest of us. Little DD has had it the worst, me and bigger DD are tied for second, and DH has had mild sniffles a few times.

BTW, just for the record the child who got flu had been vaccinated (we have 2 family members with asthma so we're a high risk group.) I think we all already knew it wasn't very effective but I just wanted to put that out there in case anyone was looking to assign blame for this.

To put this in perspective, we have an elderly/infirm grandparent whom we have been trying to arrange to visit since... I don't even remember. We usually aim for once a month minimum (we live in the same city but different area and hectic schedule) but haven't seen each other in at least 4 months now because EVERY SINGLE WEEK for that long someone has had something. There was ONE Sunday when everyone was healthy and I was thinking of going but that was before I realized how rare it would be and I decided to wait until the next week because most of us were on vacation the next week anyway. Of course we spent the vacation alternating between being sick or staying home with a child who was sick.

myself

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:51 pm
Seeker, I can totally relate! Hug

My naturopath is nowhere near your end of the world unfortunately. I actually consulted him over the phone and only paid for the tincture. Cheap enough? Wink

Echinacea is amazing and definitely worth a try. FWIW, you are meant to take it as soon as you feel something coming on and take it for the next few days. This winter I starting feeling flu'ish one morning so immediately took echinacea (you can take it up to three times a day according to my bottle) and then took another dose later in the day. Believe it or not I woke up feeling fine the next morning - I did continue taking it for the next few days as required though. It really does work, I've heard it from other's too.

For my kids that have the tendency to catch viruses all the time I give the combination tincture once every day throughout the winter. For the ones that are not that susceptible I only give as and when required.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:53 pm
My sister kept getting sick one year when she was a kid ( I think strep ) and the dr suggested getting a water filter. We did and she stopped getting sick...

smss

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:00 pm
myself wrote:
I actually consulted him over the phone and only paid for the tincture.

you can make herbal tinctures yourself, btw ;-)
it's a lot cheaper.

http://wellnessmama.com/8168/h.....ures/

Sparkle

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 5:49 pm
Ningxia Red everyday (Young Living whole food supplement). I know 2 families who started using it for this exact reason, and it worked very well.

Also Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil.

(besides for a cold, my kids have not been sick at all this winter, b'h).

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:01 pm
My NingXia Red should be on its way! Come to think of it, I ran out of it not long before my first strep episode and didn't get around to reordering until now. But I hadn't been taking it super consistently either... how much do you use? Do you give it to the kids too? I got to really like the taste, after all. It's better from the bottle.

This Green Pastures you recommended on a different thread has many varieties, is there a best? most kosher? preferred? least nasty tasting? And how much of that do you use again? I think I'd better get on that too...

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:05 pm
Some things weve done with great results this winter ... we did each get a short stomach bug, some got colds and 1 dc got mild croup( but its usually worse) and baby got pink eye from friends kids. But this is way better than a few years ago.
Pure synergy natural vitamin c powder (not cheap but lasts a long time)
Elderberry syrup (I make my own)
Fermented cod liver oil (expensive and kids may need bribing to take)
Vitamin d drops because despite taking CLO kids were low on vitamin d
Epsom salt baths (cheap)
Kyolic garlic drops (can use small amount blended fresh garlic/ginger in kids drink)
Probiotics and homemade fermented foods (probiotic pickles is the most kid friendly).

Also cut out the sugar and white flour!

Sparkle

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:06 pm
In terms of kashrus, make sure you are ordering cod liver oil. The skate liver oil is definitely treif.

Any capsules are fine - no taste, and they are vegetarian capsules.

For liquid, well, it's cod liver oil. It just doesn't taste that good no matter what way you cut it. I personally don't mind the cinnamon flavor. And I give the orange flavor to the 2/4 kids that don't know how to swallow pills yet. Regardless, you need to chase it down with something afterwards. We use milk.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:38 pm
How much do you take? Maybe I'll try the orange... anything to do to make the flavor better for kids who are quite stubborn about these things?

Amother please tell me more about probiotic pickles! Sounds like somethng I could get behind! I guess I could google it but I trust imamothers more Wink
And with doing all those things how can you tell what's helping? Sounds like a lot to take on when maybe it's one or more specific items that are doing it...

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:27 pm
seeker wrote:
How much do you take? Maybe I'll try the orange... anything to do to make the flavor better for kids who are quite stubborn about these things?

Amother please tell me more about probiotic pickles! Sounds like somethng I could get behind! I guess I could google it but I trust imamothers more Wink
And with doing all those things how can you tell what's helping? Sounds like a lot to take on when maybe it's one or more specific items that are doing it...

We take the cinamon CLO. Its tolerable and chased down by milk or honey.
I make something like this with the addition of garlic and dried dill. They are really good pickles. http://www.creativesimplelife......kles/
I cant say its any one thing for sure. Not everything is everyday but overall I see a huge difference. I started making changes because DS had eczema and was constantly sick. I think Ive only had to use a steroid cream once in almost a yr (because he ate something by mistake he reacts to and I didnt want to risk MRSA again). He still has some mild eczema but its sooo much better. No.more bloody sheets or waking up from being itchy. He isnt coughing all night like every other year. I also use alot more vitamin c/elderberry/bath soaks etc. at the first sign of sickness to ward off a full blown sickness. Baruch Hashem I do see a difference. We are very greatful.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:42 pm
B"H my eczema kid is pretty clear lately, no idea what it was but that is already under control.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:46 pm
And she's the one who only got sick a little... the one who is constantly home with fevers and such does not have any other issues and has always seemed very sturdy.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:11 pm
Many of us can relate!

What I do is, every morning after my kids leave, I open windows for ventilation!
Even when it is 7 degrees outside! Yes

5 minutes on the clock.

Germs out, fresh air in! Yum!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics