Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Who does the grocery shopping in your house?
1  2  3  Next

Who buys groceries?
Me 90%-100% of the time  
 42%  [ 99 ]
Me 75% / Husband 25%  
 14%  [ 33 ]
Me 50% / Husband 50%  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Husband 75% / Me 25%  
 8%  [ 20 ]
Husband 90%-100% of the time  
 19%  [ 46 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 235

wife2

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:22 am
I do almost all of the grocery shopping since dh works very long hours and has a long commute. I often see other husbands shopping and women without their kids. I usually have to take my baby and/or toddler along since I rarely go alone. I am wondering who does the shopping in your house.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:33 am
I do most of the shopping. DH helps a lot at home but I enjoy the shopping and then I don't have to make exact lists.
Whenever he goes I worry that he'll buy the wrong brand or the wrong thing.

(I work full time,dh learns in kollel but Wednesday evening he stays home and I go do the shopping. When I just have to pick up a few things I do it on my lunch break or on the way home)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:41 am
Me. I work from home and much fewer hours than DH works (and commutes).
But if I am not able, he goes without a second thought.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:45 am
JustMeMyself Smile

luppamom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:48 am
Before I had a baby, I did all of the shopping. DH would s/t help me carry stuff. We do not have a car and paying to get it delivered is expensive when it's just two people.

When I was expecting, DH didn't want me shlepping heavy bags. (I would either carry them or stick them in a backpack and suitcase, s/ts I walked and s/ts I took the bus) So he took over for large orders and I only bought light stuff here and there. But, he often bought the more expensive brand by accident (he said it's the price of sending your husband to shop Smile), but I appreciated it so much!!

After baby was born and I recovered, I resumed most of the shopping duties. DH also has a more demanding schedule. He still will often go shopping on Friday for me, for the last min. stuff that I forgot or need.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:56 am
I do it.
There have been times that my dh has done it if I am not feeling well or st.
I like doing it.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 3:30 am
I also like doing it. When he does it he ends up calling me 10 times and still not coming home with exactly what I want. I do the cooking and I know better what we need in the house.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 3:39 am
DH because he has time in the middle of the day when the stores are almost empty.
I don't always like what he buys, but I guess I'm willing to sacrifice that.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 3:47 am
I voted other. I do all the supermarket shopping, or at least 95% of it. My husband does 90% of the kosher grocery shopping, which is about 15% of the total food shopping.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 4:42 am
I shop, leave most stuff in the car, he shleps upstairs, I put away.

I am in charge of the shopping and cooking and general household planning/budget. Also cleaning, but I mostly "outsource" it, just doing daily kitchen/ bathroom stuff.

He is charge of laundry, bed changing, garbage disposal and general home and car diy (changing bulbs, fixing stuff, tyres etc) and bills.

It is a reasonable division of labor and we are flexible about it.

Dev80

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 4:44 am
we both have full days of obligations (yeshiva/work/school/kids), DH does most of the shopping, definitely the big orders, and I fill in at the makolet for bread/milk/snacks if we need. And sometimes I'll go to the store just because it's fun but I'm happy I don't have to do it all the time Smile

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 4:51 am
I actually quite enjoy grocery shopping!

imaima

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 5:39 am
I voted other because it is whoever is available for shopping. We don't have set chores.

animeme

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 7:11 am
DH does the supermarket, I do the kosher, we share the in betweens. Either way, I put things away once they're in the house, though DH comes home when kids can help schlep in.

lfab

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:31 am
I do it. I do the meal planning and cooking so I know what we need. DH has often offered to go but I prefer to do it. This way I don't need to make exact lists or if there's something on sale that I don't need this week but I know we'll be needing soon I can get it.
In terms of seeing women without kids-I used to go straight from work with my 3 kids. At a certain point (when my toddler decided she was no longer willing to sit in the cart and I was heavily pregnant and couldn't chase after her) it got too hard. Now I go in the evening after the kids are in bed and DH stays home with them.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:36 am
imaima wrote:
I voted other because it is whoever is available for shopping. We don't have set chores.

It's not that we have set chores, it's just that DH is not available to do the shopping due to his many work hours and long commute, so I'm the one who is available for shopping.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:43 am
I do the non-heavy (not the bottles etc).
DH does the bottles, heavy...
Delivery is non existent or a splurge.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:49 am
I do the shopping, but it hardly counts as "shopping." I write up a list, email it, and get boxes delivered to my door. Smile

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:58 am
I work full time dh works and stays home. If he has a slow week he does most shopping errands other wise I go. I like the grocery store. Walmart not so much Sad

abaker

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:03 am
We shop together usually. Sometimes one of us will run out but most of the time we go as a family.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics