Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Who does the grocery shopping in your house?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Who buys groceries?
Me 90%-100% of the time  
 42%  [ 99 ]
Me 75% / Husband 25%  
 14%  [ 33 ]
Me 50% / Husband 50%  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Husband 75% / Me 25%  
 8%  [ 20 ]
Husband 90%-100% of the time  
 19%  [ 46 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 235

imasoftov

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:31 am
I always find what options a poll omits interesting. Like we go shopping together.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 1:48 pm
I just started shopping at a local supermarket.... But emailing my order!!

It has been the best thing ever!
They deliver by five, I'm home from work then.

It could not be more convenient.

wantavaca

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:54 pm
Yes! emailing my orders have changed my life and freed up my time to do the things I really want to be doing.
I used to be so stubborn about going myself because I like to pick out my fruits and veggies etc... but if I dont like something, they come pick it up and send me something else.... and they already know im particular so they send me nice things.

the best part is that even with the eight dollar fee to shop and deliver my order, I end up spending an average of 50 dollars less than when I go into the store!

I love that it makes me feel so luxurious and pampered when im really saving money!

busydev

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:01 pm
its changed over time (together, me, him, me+him separate trips, him)

these days he does most of the shopping. It just works out that way, he works closer to the stores then I do. He does a quick shabbos shop on Thurs or Fri and the main shopping for the week on Sundays (often taking DS who needs to get out-esp in the winter, plus he often needs his glasses straightened every week so they make that as part of the stop). I write up the menu and lists.

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:13 pm
I do the basics n my man does the snacks drinks n candy.

KollelWife3

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:18 pm
My husband does all the shopping. 100% him.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:44 pm
I do it, but without my kids (maybe I will take one at a time for individual time with me), so I work my shopping schedule around when my husband is available at home.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 11:49 pm
I do all the shopping and my husband manages a supermarket! If I need anything in a pinch he'll bring it home at night.

boysrus

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 11:53 pm
KollelWife3 wrote:
My husband does all the shopping. 100% him.

I guess that explains in part why you dont feel a need to drive a car............. lucky you. My husband steps foot in our kosher grocery store approximately 4 times a year. I do all shopping myself. I wouldnt be able to do that if Ididnt drive, its good I am not chassidish, isnt it?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 12:17 am
Haven't read through the comments....I write and email the shopping list, the grocery store puts it together, and my husband picks it up.
I voted other :-)

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:50 am
I do it, unless it's something really simple like getting milk or eggs. He needs exact instructions on what to get and even then sometimes he gets the wrong things. If I were to send him on a big shop, I'd have to write him a 10 page manual.

If I do a big shop, he sometimes comes with to help with schlepping bags.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:51 am
boysrus wrote:
I guess that explains in part why you dont feel a need to drive a car............. lucky you. My husband steps foot in our kosher grocery store approximately 4 times a year. I do all shopping myself. I wouldnt be able to do that if Ididnt drive, its good I am not chassidish, isnt it?

It's great that you aren't chassidish.
I leave my car parked in my driveway and email my grocery order every week. its (sic) good I am chassidish, isnt (sic) it?

Sammy375

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 4:38 am
DH does most of the shopping. He goes on the way home from work and usually goes on Wednesdays. Sometimes we need to make a run to a makolet Friday morning (DH goes for Challah after shul in any case). When he first started shopping he needed a list, now he makes his own. DH is much faster than I am - shops like a man, by the list, not down the isles finding things we need but forgot to put on the list. Sometimes we don't get everything we need (whoops, forgot to write down TP), but overall works better and more economical. There were bumps in the road at first like when he would get something he thought was "similar" because they didn't have what I asked for... or once, something that was "next to it on the shelf". I kindly explained that proximity on the shelf in the supermarket is not a criteria for choosing a substitution ingredient. We have come a long way.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 8:26 am
amother wrote:
It's great that you aren't chassidish.
I leave my car parked in my driveway and email my grocery order every week. its (sic) good I am chassidish, isnt (sic) it?

Ordering food by email doesn't render it treif?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:37 am
I don't drive and if I did he would need the car.
I go by foot. If it's a big errand and/or I have a toddler with me I will take one of those shopping caddies people leave around, put kid in there, go shop, put everything, and leave the caddy in the street after emptying it near my building.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:40 am
Ruchel wrote:
I don't drive and if I did he would need the car.
I go by foot. If it's a big errand and/or I have a toddler with me I will take one of those shopping caddies people leave around, put kid in there, go shop, put everything, and leave the caddy in the street after emptying it near my building.

Wow. Are you allowed to do that?Doesn't the caddy belong to the supermarket? People actually steal them from the supermarket, leave them out on the streets, and then other people come use them and return to the street? How strange.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:41 am
I don't know if I am allowed. Everyone does it. Happens much more in the popular areas than posh ones. I suppose they have been stolen, yes?

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:43 am
Ruchel wrote:
I don't know if I am allowed. Everyone does it. Happens much more in the popular areas than posh ones. I suppose they have been stolen, yes?

I suppose they have. I mean, the supermarket doesn't leave its property out on the streets on purpose.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using stolen property.

If I didn't drive, I'd either shop when dh was home, or take baby/children with me to the supermarket, and have them deliver my purchase at the end. Or call a taxi to take us home. Or do it all online.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:46 am
We also go together.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:50 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
I suppose they have. I mean, the supermarket doesn't leave its property out on the streets on purpose.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using stolen property.

If I didn't drive, I'd either shop when dh was home, or take baby/children with me to the supermarket, and have them deliver my purchase at the end. Or call a taxi to take us home. Or do it all online.

This is nice. Most shops close earlier than many husbands come home, I do take the baby with me, and they don't deliver or do online. I won't take a taxi for a few 100s meters and actually I cannot afford regular taxi. Taxi is easily 50 euros +. We're bh a young family.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics