Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help her learn to bond!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 6:39 am
I have a 2.5 year old foster daughter who has been with us for three months now. She has been diagnosed with RAD.

After much googling, I think what would help me most with her, is learning how a normal child bonds.

FTR, I have biological children who bonded just fine with me, but I have no idea what I did or didn't do to encourage that bonding.

Do you know what you did to encourage your child to bond with you?

I think a good book (or website/youtube) on attachment parenting might help me. Any recommendations?

disneyland

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 6:56 am
I can't think of a website offhand but I tend to observe people a lot to see what they do in parenting etc.
I think book reading with questions about anything in the book such as, characters in the book you are reading.
You can talk to her while doing a painting activity and tell her about the scene you are painting with her.

chani8

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 7:08 am
http://attachmentparenting.org.....ents/

Quote:
I give you the Toddler Ten Commandments...
1. Keep your eye on long­term goals. Toddler “behaviors” will fade; what will remain is how
your child feels about himself and his relationship with you, which is based on how you react to
those “behaviors.”
2. Take the child’s perspective. Sure it’s hard to be a parent, but it can be a lot harder to be a kid.
We don’t mean to make children feel foolish or unsupported, but that’s just what happens when
we trivialize their fears or tears by saying “shhh, you’re ok,” or “don’t be so upset,” etc.
3. Let your child make his own decisions. Our default position ought to be to let kids make
decisions about matters that concern them except when there is a compelling reason for us to
override that right. We should be prepared to justify why, in each case, kids shouldn’t be
allowed to choose. The way kids learn to make good decisions is by making decisions, not byfollowing directions.
4. Reconsider your requests. Perhaps when your child doesn’t do what you’re demanding, the
problem isn’t with the child but with what it is you’re demanding. I’ll give you a fluff example:
Kieran (my son) and I were doing a craft last week. I kept suggesting that he cut the pictures,
not the paper that he would eventually glue the pictures onto. He kept ignoring me. I realized
that I was trying to impose my own vision of his artwork onto what he was doing – so what if
he wanted to cut what I thought was the “wrong” thing! This same lesson can hold true in a
number of different situations. As long as a child’s safety isn’t at risk, why not stop to
reconsider whether you are imposing your own views and experiences onto them.
5. Remember SALVE:
(S) Separate yourself and your emotions from your child’s behavior to be sure you’re
TRULY about to respond to your child, and not as a result of baggage from your own
life/childhood. (If it helps, run through any angry words in your mind, then get rid of
them before speaking gently to your child.)
(A) give your child full, honest Attention;
(L) fully Listen, be present for your child;
(V) Validate your child’s feelings without adding your own (“I see you want ___,” “you
were disappointed because ____”);
(E) Empower your child to solve the upset herself. Believe in her; don’t rush to “fix” her.
6. Don’t say “no” unnecessarily. “Yes” should be our default response, such that you need a
good reason not to go along with what’s being proposed, or to step in and forbid something.
7. Change the way you see behavior. Try to see behavior as “teachable moments” rather than
infractions that call for “consequences.” Don’t take behavior personally! A toddler isn’t trying
to hurt or inconvenience you or “misbehave.”
8. Respect your child. We can’t always assume that because we’re more mature, we necessarily
have more insight into our children than they have into themselves.
9. Keep her age in mind.
10. Stop saying “good job.” Break the habit of saying “good job/sharing!” or “you’re such a great
helper!” or “I like the way you . . .” Instead, try:
describing, rather than evaluating (“there’s something new on the people you drew, there
are toes”); explaining the effects of the child’s action on other people (“you set the table, that makes
things a lot easier on me while I’m cooking”); asking, rather than judging (why did you decide to give some of your brownie to Michael when you didn’t have to?”).
11. Give her undivided attention. Don’t just occupy the same space, interact. It’s easy to feel
distracted by emails or bills, and it’s fine to multi­task sometimes, but make sure your child gets
a good portion of your total attention so they know how very important they are to you. Give
them affection without limit, without reservations, and without excuse. Pay as much attention to
them as you can, regardless of mood or circumstance. Let them know you’re delighted to be
with them, that you care about them no matter what happens. This basic posture is completely
different from praise, which is doled out as a response to something a child does.
12. Talk less, ask more, and wait. Step back and let your child figure things out. Wait for him to
ask you for help. He may not. He may figure it out alone or he may do something else entirely,
and that’s o.k.
13. Talk about appropriate behaviors. Try “please use gentle
touches” instead of “stop hitting.”
14. Enjoy the journey – they grow up too fast. Don’t be in
such a hurry!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics