Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Online shopping for girls dresses?

sa613

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 7:52 am
Can anyone recommend online stores for buying pretty girls dresses that will cover the knee? Everything I've seen is so short except for the maxi style which I'm tired of.

sa613

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:30 am
Bump.
(Or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?)

kollel wife

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 1:30 pm
I used to be able to buy at Children's Place or Gymboree - in the summer it was a sleeveless dress that I wore as a jumper - but once they get bigger I would say impossible to find skirts long enough.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 1:37 pm
I used to be able to buy at Children's Place or Gymboree - in the summer it was a sleeveless dress that I wore as a jumper - but once they get bigger I would say impossible to find skirts long enough.

SorGold

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 2:26 pm
whats your price range?
weekday or shabbos?

sa613

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 2:39 pm
Looking mainly for shabbos but interested in weekday too. Not too expensive. Say $30-40 for a shabbos/yontif dress.

daisy

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:09 pm
Do you have a Costco membership? They have pretty dresses in the store now; I believe they are under $20.

SorGold

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:18 pm
Lands end has some pretty dresses this season. Nordstroms may also have shabbos in the 40$ range. They have alot of dresses online with a range of prices (free shipping and free returns)

studying_torah

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 4:22 pm
How do you figure out if a dress or skirt is long enough, of its not shown on a kid?

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:02 pm
If they post the length of the skirt in inches, you can measure your kid and see where that hits.

We have to establish a fad for added-on panels at the hemline, in a darker, coordinating color. Not necessarily the exact same fabric. The hem panel could be a washable velveteen. Navy, gray, burgundy, or brights for the younger ones, come to mind.

The local seamstress or tailor can add it, in a moment.

This waiting for Godot for long enough skirts is too difficult.

If that does not appeal, we can get a simple sewing machine online and master making the simplest of skirts ourselves. No lining, just elastic and a gros-grain ribbon bow to tighten the waist. That's called a paper bag waist, and it's nice.

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:09 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
If they post the length of the skirt in inches, you can measure your kid and see where that hits.

We have to establish a fad for added-on panels at the hemline, in a darker, coordinating color. Not necessarily the exact same fabric. The hem panel could be a washable velveteen. Navy, gray, burgundy, or brights for the younger ones, come to mind.

The local seamstress or tailor can add it, in a moment.

This waiting for Godot for long enough skirts is too difficult.

If that does not appeal, we can get a simple sewing machine online and master making the simplest of skirts ourselves. No lining, just elastic and a gros-grain ribbon bow to tighten the waist. That's called a paper bag waist, and it's nice.

Before the sticking a skirt thing under a tunic was in, I had friends who did this (maybe they still do). They bought what they wanted and had a seamstress add a panel of coordinating material. It looked very polished. But, if you don't sew or have time, it's definitely going to add money to the price. If you find s/t really cheap, might be worth it.

I'm not very stylish, so forgive me if this is totally out, but can you buy a short dress and put a shell type of skirt underneath? This way, you won't be so limited.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:12 pm
No seamstress will do that for less than $15 - add in fabric and you're adding $20 to a dress. It's not a ton for an adult who will wear it for years but for a kid's outfit, it's a lot.

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
No seamstress will do that for less than $15 - add in fabric and you're adding $20 to a dress. It's not a ton for an adult who will wear it for years but for a kid's outfit, it's a lot.

That's what I'm saying. If you pick up a steal for let's say $10 to $15 and then add the cost of the seamstress worth it financially, but might be a hassle.

I was a very tall kid. I remember my mother looking and looking! She finally just spent a lot of $ b/c she had no choice.

Hatzlacha OP!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:19 pm
Great idea, about putting a shell-skirt underneath. It would have to be dark color and not too bulky and not look like your slip was showing. A very interesting idea.

I am going to Dharma to see if they have anything like that in black right now.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 8:59 pm
Carter's has some beautiful dresses this season that could be used for shabbos- particularly the light blue one with the white belt with a flower on it, as well as the peach colored one with the lace top. They look beautiful on...

mommyofd1

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:

not true - my seamstress does it for 10 plus 5 for fabric

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:57 pm
Sorry I was so very wrong.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 12:55 am
Here's a strange idea. If a skirt is nice but too short, get two of them exactly the same. Cut the bottom off one, and attach it to the other, to lengthen it. Maybe the remaining one can be taken in at the waist for a younger girl to wear. Or maybe it can be pieced with a different fabric to lengthen it again.

If all that's too much already, these skirts can be made by a complete beginner with a little help from someone who knows how to sew.

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern.....69208

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern.....12733

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern.....t/900

(not in denim, to my taste. I am not a fan of denim.)

This seems like a good site, it has a "novice" level that seems very reassuring and do-able. You Tube is full of videos about how to sew. You will need an iron and a large table.

This cardboard seems useful and will protect the table. My mother used something like this only larger, on her bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Cardboar.....g+mat
An electric fabric scissors is useful too:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....2C196

Fabric glue is useful too.

Pre-wash and machine dry all fabrics before cutting. Then you know the garment won't shrink.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics