Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Goldfish

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 7:50 pm
At a recent Purim event we became the proud owners of a couple of goldfish. In doing my research on goldfish, I've learned that goldfish really need a big tank to thrive. I would like to take care of these fish properly, but I don't know that we have the space or the money to really invest in these fish right now--especially since they are feeder fish that are a gamble if they would survive anyway, and we are supposed to be going away for Pesach (I may have some people to whom I could have "fish" sit). Any advice for me?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 7:58 pm
Goldfish can live a long time in a GF bowl if cared for. My DDs lived to 11 before we passed him onto someone with a pond.

ETA: For the record I oppose giving anyone gifts of live fish or animals unless folks have agreed ahead of time.

miami85

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:25 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Goldfish can live a long time in a GF bowl if cared for. My DDs lived to 11 before we passed him onto someone with a pond.

ETA: For the record I oppose giving anyone gifts of live fish or animals unless folks have agreed ahead of time.

Op here, was it a "feeder type goldfish" or a more expensive one? I had some of the more expensive fish, I.e. at least $2/fish as opposed to the 10/$1 growing up and they lasted about 2 years.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:43 pm
miami85 wrote:
Op here, was it a "feeder type goldfish" or a more expensive one? I had some of the more expensive fish, I.e. at least $2/fish as opposed to the 10/$1 growing up and they lasted about 2 years.

He was a feeder won at dime toss at a carnival. I had three feeders in a pond of mine a few years back for 5 years before moving them to a pals pond.

My current fish are feeders and they are 3 years old, they did fine outside overwintering and were hand tamed their first year.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:46 pm
yeah I'm surprised it lasted so long

sonny boy uses feeder fish for his snake

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:56 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
He was a feeder won at dime toss at a carnival. I had three feeders in a pond of mine a few years back for 5 years before moving them to a pals pond.

My current fish are feeders and they are 3 years old, they did fine outside overwintering and were hand tamed their first year.

How big was your bowl? I'm reading things like goldfish need like a 10 gal tank--and I don't really have space for s/t like that.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:00 pm
The DD's fish was in a 1 Gal decorative bowl that I found at thrift store. Goldfish size is typically limited by the size of the container. Some varieties can and do outgrow their bowls (fancy tails like Watkins for example).

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:43 pm
11 as in months or years?? I thought they live for a couple O'months

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:48 pm
loveandpeace wrote:
11 as in months or years?? I thought they live for a couple O'months

Years. Large Koi can sometimes be decades old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics