Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus of Birds Eye frozen vegetables

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:35 am
I've noticed my local kosher grocers stock Birds Eye brand frozen vegetables. I'm assuming that these aren't insect-free like the heimishe brands of Bodek, B'gan, Pos'tiv etc. Or are they via some other method? I don't understand how they can be kosher if they have bugs, can anyone explain?

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:53 am
you need to change your title. Your title implies that a kashrut agency has found an infestation and that you are trying to warn others. Many people who buy the brand will not open the thread, assume there is a reported infestation and won't buy. This is irresponsible. Please change to "are birds eye vegetables kosher" or some other title that actually reflects what you are asking, not a scare mongering title that maligns a brand with no actual proof.

Birds eye vegetables often carry a triangle K. Some people feel this is fine for items like frozen corn or peas. Your local kosher grocery is under no obligation to stock only heimishe brands with items that are universally eaten by every Jew on the planet. Shelves would be pretty empty if they did. For instance most people who only eat heimishe brand lettuce/vegetables won't eat strawberries yet the grocery has them. Like with any other item in the store - follow your own rav's psak and keep your nose out of other people's carts.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:55 am
Certain vegetables, like frozen peas for example, don't have an insect infestation problem (at least in the US, don't know about other countries ). Spinach, broccoli etc... can be pureed (dip, kugel etc...) and then, no problem!

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 4:32 pm
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
you need to change your title. Your title implies that a kashrut agency has found an infestation and that you are trying to warn others. Many people who buy the brand will not open the thread, assume there is a reported infestation and won't buy. This is irresponsible. Please change to "are birds eye vegetables kosher" or some other title that actually reflects what you are asking, not a scare mongering title that maligns a brand with no actual proof.

Birds eye vegetables often carry a triangle K. Some people feel this is fine for items like frozen corn or peas. Your local kosher grocery is under no obligation to stock only heimishe brands with items that are universally eaten by every Jew on the planet. Shelves would be pretty empty if they did. For instance most people who only eat heimishe brand lettuce/vegetables won't eat strawberries yet the grocery has them. Like with any other item in the store - follow your own rav's psak and keep your nose out of other people's carts.

That was uncalled for.

And for the record, I totally understood what OP meant by the title. If anyone is irresponsible in this hypothetical scenario, it is the consumer who assumes this product is no longer kosher by the TITLE of a thread she read online-without even opening the thread to see if indeed "a kashrus agency found an infestation" and if she even holds by said kashrus agency-not that of one woman genuinely inquiring about a product's kashrus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen