Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby can't move anywhere = yelling!!! (Delayed!?) 8 months.
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:24 am
My 8 month old is so bothered that he can't move anywhere. He yells all day! He drags himself slowly along the floor on his belly, yelling like he's lifting 100 kilo weights, and wants to be stood up so he can cruise, but then falls on his bottom and yells some more. He yells if he lies down after sitting because he can't sit himself up. He doesn't seem to be learning how to move more efficiently.

Isn't he meant to be able to crawl properly by 8 months? When will he be able to sit up from lying down? He hates staying still, I've dried a door bouncer, I've tried an excersaucer, I've tried wearing him, he just wants to move but doesn't know how.

He is so frustrated and so am I, because he won't sit and play happily any more. Help!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:27 am
amother wrote:
My 8 month old is so bothered that he can't move anywhere. He yells all day! He drags himself slowly along the floor on his belly, yelling like he's lifting 100 kilo weights, and wants to be stood up so he can cruise, but then falls on his bottom and yells some more. He yells if he lies down after sitting because he can't sit himself up. He doesn't seem to be learning how to move more efficiently.

Isn't he meant to be able to crawl properly by 8 months? When will he be able to sit up from lying down? He hates staying still, I've dried a door bouncer, I've tried an excersaucer, I've tried wearing him, he just wants to move but doesn't know how.

He is so frustrated and so am I, because he won't sit and play happily any more. Help!

It sounds like he might need some help.
Are you able to have him evaluated for early intervention therapy?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:29 am
Some babies never crawl properly but it sounds like your baby has a bigger problem. Have you discussed it with your pediatrician? Maybe he needs some physical therapy (a lot of babies do and then everything is fine). Speak to your pediatrician and take him to be evaluated by a physical therapist. Everything will be fine, just get the needed therapy

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:40 am
Wow do you really think there is something wrong with him? He's been sitting unsupported since 6.5 months, and loves to stand holding onto things...he can pull himself up to standing if he is sat next to something the right height... he just can't move quickly or go from lying to sitting... I live in Israel so not sure about intervention etc. I guess I should go to the pediatrician.

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:41 am
WAIT! OP, please don't be so nervous. I think it is normal for a 8 mo. old to not be crawling. Look on baby websites like Baby Center, I think it takes a lot of babies longer. Also, pp mentioned, some babies never crawl, but those babies learn some way of moving that "works" for them.

My daughter is a similar age and she's trying very hard to crawl, but hasn't succeeded. She doesn't yell, but she whines and gets tired quickly. It's hard work! She also needs to be sit up. She can't do it herself.

He needs to keep trying even though he's frusterated. Will he take a paci? Maybe try out a new toy (it can be a homemade one to save $) that doesn't move away from him (like those ones for crawling.

You CAN always ask your ped., but it sounds pretty normal and age appropriate to me. It just sounds like the frustration of not getting where he wants is difficult for him.

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:44 am
amother wrote:
Wow do you really think there is something wrong with him? He's been sitting unsupported since 6.5 months, and loves to stand holding onto things...he can pull himself up to standing if he is sat next to something the right height... he just can't move quickly or go from lying to sitting... I live in Israel so not sure about intervention etc. I guess I should go to the pediatrician.

Is he going to Tipat Chalav soon for his 9 mo. appointment? I think they do a development check at 9 mos., but they s/t will overreact, so I wouldn't get too worried.

See my post. I really think he's normal.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:47 am
amother wrote:
yup. thats what you should do! dont fret about this until and unless there is something to fret about Smile

not all babies even fullfil all of the "required" stages of development. My daughter for one never rolled over in one direction at all and the other direction, well, not all that much or that well.

OP, talk to your pediatrician and if s/he thinks there is something to work on, they will let you know.
Good Luck!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:52 am
luppamom wrote:
Is he going to Tipat Chalav soon for his 9 mo. appointment? I think they do a development check at 9 mos., but they s/t will overreact, so I wouldn't get too worried.

See my post. I really think he's normal.

He was just there a few weeks back, and I told the nurse he couldn't crawl but would drag himself forward slowly. She looked at him and said it seemed normal. He is going back at 9 months.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't think he was behind in his milestones, just bothered... he seems heavy like he can't lift himself. Maybe just because he is a little chubby?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
yup. thats what you should do! dont fret about this until and unless there is something to fret about Smile

not all babies even fullfil all of the "required" stages of development. My daughter for one never rolled over in one direction at all and the other direction, well, not all that much or that well.

OP, talk to your pediatrician and if s/he thinks there is something to work on, they will let you know.
Good Luck!

Thanks!

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 4:06 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Good Luck!

This never hurts. But, don't stress. She'll probably tell you its normal, but you'll feel better that you tried to help him.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 4:18 am
luppamom wrote:
This never hurts. But, don't stress. She'll probably tell you its normal, but you'll feel better that you tried to help him.
thats my point. ask if you thnik it will make you feel better, but dont worry about it.

Babies all move at different speeds. Gosh, my neice was one before she moved at all. And she was a healthy full term baby. She just did not want to move. And boy was my sister nervous. But after her 1st birthday, it was like she was struck by lightening as everything started working like it should.

I was told that until a year, not to really worry. babies all go at different speeds.

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 4:25 am
Another thing, is he dressed very comfortably? I would imagine that if his knees hurt every time he tried to move, he wouldn't want to. Maybe make sure he's dressed in clothes w/ some padding and room to wiggle.

animeme

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:00 am
Just wanted to add that if he does need a little help (pt), that doesn't need to mean "Oh no, he's behind, he needs therapy!" It can simply be, "he's doing ok but a little help is helpful so we're getting it for him. Why not?"

I have a friend with a handful of kids who are all into bike riding, ball playing, etc. She often says, "The kids in our family just don't start walking without PT. It's a thing." With no shame. When one did, she was flabbergasted.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:19 am
amother wrote:
Oh - sorry. I'm the one who said he might need PT. You're in Israel? Perfect, cause nurses in Tipat Chalav insist on raising your children for you (they know better than you Wink). Go to Tipat Chalav and nudge and ask questions. Go on to the pediatrician. It's all free and simple here. Unless everyone's answers are that this is 100% OK get the pediatrician to give you a hafnaya for PT and they will test him and treat him if needed.

Just don't be afraid to express your concerns with the TP nurse or the doctor.

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:32 am
amother wrote:
Oh - sorry. I'm the one who said he might need PT. You're in Israel? Perfect, cause nurses in Tipat Chalav insist on raising your children for you (they know better than you Wink). Go to Tipat Chalav and nudge and ask questions. Go on to the pediatrician. It's all free and simple here. Unless everyone's answers are that this is 100% OK get the pediatrician to give you a hafnaya for PT and they will test him and treat him if needed.

Just don't be afraid to express your concerns with the TP nurse or the doctor.

Don't be afraid, but realize that PT is a big time commitment. If the baby really needs it, then worth every second. If not, it could mean a lot of disturbed nap times, not to mention exercises that your baby probably won't love doing. I think asking the ped. is a good idea. But, I wouldn't shlep a baby to TC (unless I was going anyway) about s/t like this. I wouldn't beg the ped. for a referral either. I would just see what he/she suggests. I never saw OPs baby, but I really think it's normal for babies not to crawl at 8 mos. and the screaming is a temperament thing. He sounds like he is easily frustrated. It is frustrating to be stuck on the floor and not able to move or sit up on your own, I don't blame him!

See below from Baby Center.

When will my baby learn to crawl?

Your baby may start learning to crawl when she's between six months and nine months old. By the time she's a year old, she's likely to be crawling well and exploring her surroundings.

Bear in mind that some babies never crawl and get around by bottom-shuffling instead. Other babies move directly to pulling up, standing, and walking. It's getting mobile that's important, not how your baby does it.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a6.....DaJke

Here's the warning signs:
My baby is 11 months and she's not crawling yet. Should I be worried?

Babies develop skills differently, some more quickly than others. When your baby reaches 12 months, talk to your doctor or health visitor if:
Your baby hasn't shown an interest in getting mobile at all, even by bottom-shuffling, crawling, or rolling.
Your baby hasn't worked out how to move her arms and legs together in a coordinated motion.
She can't use both arms and both legs equally.

If your baby was born early (before 37 weeks), bear in mind she may reach this and other milestones later than most babies.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a6.....Al642

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 9:59 am
How big is he? how heavy?
My son was all fat rolls and did get annoyed about dragging his weight. Yelling can also be frustration from not talking. My first daughter shriiiiieked those high pitched sounds!! him, was more like effort sounds.

As a rule, you worry so you go to a (normal, non parano) ped.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 11:11 am
Typically babies start crawling between 8-10 months. It's normal to be frustrated if he can't do something he wants to do. You can help him learn to crawl by modeling the behavior and helping him get into crawling position. Also lots of tummy time with interesting toys.

suzyq

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 1:27 pm
My older son didn't start crawling until he was 9 months old and he didn't have any kind of delay, it was totally normal. If he's managing to move around a bit and can pull himself to a standing position, I wouldn't worry too much - that's pretty normal. I would only worry if he can't move himself AT ALL.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:46 pm
Well I went to the doctor, he anyway had a cough so I used it as an excuse. She said he's perfectly normal, maybe a slight low muscle tone round the legs but nothing abnormal. If he is still doing exactly the same thing in a month then she would be willing to refer him for help. I guess I'm relieved...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 5:52 pm
As long as the ped thinks that your baby has normal muscle tone, then I wouldn't worry. Low tone can be improved with just a little extra therapy, and they usually outgrow it.

All kids develop differently. DD rolled over at 6 weeks! shock She was crawling at 7 months, but could only scoot backwards. I had a sofa with high legs, and she'd scoot herself under the sofa, and then scream because she was stuck. I'd pull her out, and a few minutes later she'd be screaming and stuck again. Rinse, repeat, all day long! NOT a fun stage, let me tell you.

At 9 months she was up and cruising, and taking a few steps on her own. Then she decided that walking didn't get her places fast enough because she was too wobbly, so she started crawling normally and would do that instead for the next several months, until she decided that she wanted to be walking again.

My brother started walking at 7 months, never crawled, and was running around the house like a maniac by 9 months. My poor mother never got a minute's rest!

In the end, everyone turned out pretty much the same. Time evens things out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics