Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
How far in UK
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:01 pm
are these places near enough to stay in one yet need to be in another

london
manchester
middlesex

I'm thinking shabbos / sunday my kids will be there for a wedding ... they're not sure where to stay & they don't know anybody except the kallah

zoom

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:04 pm
I dnt no about Middlesex, I think it mite b s.were near London but London and Manchester r about a 3 and half hour drive and 2 hour 15 min by train

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:14 pm
so it's not exactly a walk in the park

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:49 pm
Middlesex is next to London. (like Long Island and Brooklyn) It adjoins North West London. (hendon, Golders Green)

Manchester is a 3 hour train ride from London.

Where is the wedding? Can the kallah find them a place to stay?

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:49 pm
Middlesex is a county - most of it is part of London. So Middlesex and London are a good match. As miz says, Manchester is in a different part of the country - but not that far compared to the US.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:56 pm
I think the wedding is in manchester but the plane lands in london ... and I know someone in middlesex ... I suppose they should just ask the kallah & see how realistic the whole thing is ... I'm pretty sure their idea of sleeping on the train won't cut it - even if it's not brooklyn

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 5:16 pm
They fly into London and stay with your friend for Shabbos, then go to Manchester on Sunday morning. Middlesex = London pretty much. It's totally realistic. Also, maybe the kallah can find a ride for them to Manchester - very likely.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 5:46 pm
it might be cheaper (but slower) to take a national express bus from Golders green to manchester. If they do take a train cheaper to book well in advance.

but yes, maybe other guests going to wedding from London.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 6:01 pm
looked at the proper address for my friend - it's in edgware ... wedding is in manchester

well they will have more time to plan this out than their own wedding ... so hopefully things will work out for them as it's after pesach ... but since the wedding is on a sunday & it's a 5 hour flight, it would make sense to stay somewhere for shabbos

not that I asked ... yet

is this something you would ask ?

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:47 am
Edgware is in Greater London. Most of it is in Barnet although some is in Middlesex. No one really talks about which county they live in, it's more for postal addresses and local government.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 9:32 am
do they want to be with the kallah for shabbos? eg for a shabbos kallah? They could probably go straight to manchester from the airport.

Or stay with your friend in edgware for shabbos and go up to manchester on sunday. Touring wise london is a bit more happening as well.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 9:35 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Edgware is in Greater London. Most of it is in Barnet although some is in Middlesex. No one really talks about which county they live in, it's more for postal addresses and local government.

but if I know nothing of the UK I would talk about the little information I do know in order to find out more ... that is why I said middlesex as that is the address I have ...

now that I know the distance I could make informed decisions [or help the kids with the information]

thanx

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:54 pm
Officially, Middlesex merged with London so no longer exists as a county though some people still incorporate into postal addresses out of familiarity. Small prints aside, Edgware is northern suburb of London, north of Golders Green/Hendon.

Greenie, your children will first need to find out which airport the flight is landing, there're 5 airports in London. Another thing to consider is Shabbat will end quite late if the wedding is after Pesach. Looking at calendar, the first Shabbat after Pesach starts 7:46pm and ends 8:53pm. So if they stay in London (incl Edgware), they'll need to stay for both Fri and Sat nights, and leave first thing in the morning to Manchester. (Though tubes start a bit late on weekends.)

Depending on time of their arrival (most transatlantic flights tend to arrive in the mornings), it may make more sense to get to Manchester before Shabbat. Trains to Manchester leave from London Euston station (London has a number of different train terminals), which is about 40min by tube from Edgware.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:44 am
I will pass on the message to them - thanx for the details

Brownies

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:00 pm
You can look up trains and book tickets between London (various stations) and Manchester Piccadilly Station (where trains from London arrive) on www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly for your kids!

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:10 pm
I'd like to go to piccadilly station ~ sounds like a FUN place to say you've been to

Brownies

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:20 pm
greenfire wrote:
I'd like to go to piccadilly station ~ sounds like a FUN place to say you've been to

Hmmm...you might be a bit disappointed when you get there! 😉

chanie18

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:24 pm
TzipporahN wrote:
They fly into London and stay with your friend for Shabbos, then go to Manchester on Sunday morning.

Please don't take the London to Manchester train on a Sunday, it takes at least double the time and its always the older trains, they stop at every stop, and its crowded. Its no fun.

If you want to go from London to Manchester, you have a few options. Sometimes it is cheaper to fly than to take the train (no joke) - the plane basically goes up then back down again.

Mostly, you should take the train. BUT if you book it way in advance it will be much cheaper (but make sure you're on time for the one you booked they're not always transferable). Sometimes its even worth purchasing a railcard - the discount can make it worthwhile from the very first trip. If you make a group with someone else going with kids you can get a family pass and its way cheaper.

The cheapest tickets are on the commuter lines in first class (posh) early in the morning - actually, if you have a railcard, it is cheaper to go first class than standard class on the early morning trains. For real! And first class is NICE. There are various websites to compare prices, I haven't done it in years.

The National Express buses take all day and all night, they're awful, millions of stops, make a 4 hour journey by car into a 12 hour journey etc. Last resort. They're anyway not that cheap. Try Mega Bus, its the cheaper version I think. But not so worth it.

There is a frum bus called Darchei Noam which goes from the heart of Jewish London to the heart of Jewish Manchester, its convenient.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:33 pm
they're going to try to get to manchester before shabbos then ...

rainbow baby

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 8:33 pm
Chani I was also going to sugges Darchei Noam. If you need the number pm me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics