Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How off schedule are your kids during pesach?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 7:47 pm
Just wondering how other parents deal with the late nights and lack of food variety.

iamamother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 8:48 pm
im dreading it....

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 10:04 pm
iamamother wrote:
im dreading it....

OP here: yeah, me too. I've already started buying klp foods to try to get my daughter used to them and she just refuses to even try them. She told me that all she wants on pesach is chocolate pudding. Oy!!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:56 am
If she's small she doesn't have to know it's different/pessachdik.

I don't tell my kids when I serve something glutenfree, except now that my oldest has decided she wants to eat like me (which I would never allow! but she enjoys eating sometimes a GF item LOL).

If she's older, zema yesh, you know.

Sedarim... well they sleep late the morning after. No biggy.

spinkles

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:42 am
My kids love Pesach food. I make all my own food so it's fresh and good...I don't buy the weird KLP foods that are bad imitations of the real deal. Chol Hamoed we eat a lot of pan-fried potatoes, omelets, and salads...filling and good! Plus we buy two cases of avocados and make guacamole all week long--yum!!

mom in france

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:55 am
amother wrote:
Just wondering how other parents deal with the late nights and lack of food variety.

Depending on kids ages and how well they handle sleeping late I decide if they are staying up late and until what point. For example a 3 yr old I would give to eat before seder and let him stay up until ma nishtana. I decide on a day by day basis seeing how they are.

For food I try to use as much as possible to make food that I make during the year ( sometimes adapting a little) so its not new food. Kugel,stir fry, meatballs, salmon , salads, soup is all familiar.

mom in france

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:55 am
amother wrote:

Depending on kids ages and how well they handle sleeping late I decide if they are staying up late and until what point. For example a 3 yr old I would give to eat before seder and let him stay up until ma nishtana. I decide on a day by day basis seeing how they are.

For food I try to use as much as possible to make food that I make during the year ( sometimes adapting a little) so its not new food. Kugel,stir fry, meatballs, salmon , salads, soup is all familiar.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 10:13 am
You have to lower your standards. So they live on baked potato fries and ketchup for a week - who cares? Don't nag them to eat this or that - as long as it's not junk all day, let it go. They can eat dinner leftovers for breakfast if they want.

Sleep schedules are much harder - one reason we don't have tons of guests, it's harder to keep on any schedule with lots of other people and kids around. We host for the seder and one or two lunches but I tell friends that their invites will come for a shabbos later, not Pesach. Pesach is hard enough, I try not to give myself extra work if I don't have to. Pesach playdates are a nice alternative so you're not alone all week.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 10:38 am
chana_f wrote:
My kids love Pesach food. I make all my own food so it's fresh and good...I don't buy the weird KLP foods that are bad imitations of the real deal. Chol Hamoed we eat a lot of pan-fried potatoes, omelets, and salads...filling and good! Plus we buy two cases of avocados and make guacamole all week long--yum!!

well some of us have extremely picky eaters

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 10:48 am
Many kids will love fries etc.
If not, and if you can cook more than basics (like if no work chol hamoed) you can do feasts even if you don't eat kitniot and I hear, even without gebrokt. I routinely put on several kilos on Pessach. I used to lose because my home was very evry Polish, boiled potatoe and meat type, on Pessach

iamamother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:29 am
well I am sure ppl have the same situation as me. my kids r extremely picky and terrible eaters. problem is is when they dont eat normal food they become VERY kvetchy and impossible to deal with! btwn being constipated from a lack of normal food and loaded on sugar from all the cakes and cookies... forget it! also, many ppl r not in there own homes for pesach and divide btwn 2 sets of grandparents and are cramped in one room... so that just adds to all the chaos...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 12:31 pm
You don't HAVE to go, if you're all in one room especially. It's not even a treat for the grandparents if the kids are nuts, btdt

iamamother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 12:59 pm
Ruchel wrote:
You don't HAVE to go, if you're all in one room especially. It's not even a treat for the grandparents if the kids are nuts, btdt

yes, I know we dont have to.... but that is the generally accepted thing to do in my circle... and it still is a 'treat' for the grandparents. although its a big job for them, they very much enjoy seeing their whole family together. and going away for YT with all the chaos and all is still probably easier then cleaning an apartment with 2 toddlers eating everywhere... even though I officially clean for pesach, if we were staying home I would have to be much more careful.. and thats aside from cooking in a tiny kitchen with 1 sink... I cant even begin to imagine what that would be like! oh, and the expense is taken care of too! Wink

dalia1

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 10:20 pm
I refuse to get my kids off schedule - it makes it miserable for everyone. Therefore - we do the first seder as a "kid friendly seder". They contribute what they learned, its fun - not drawn out. Second seder kids are asleep - period - end of discussion.
We dont go out for night meals
We eat healthy foods - my kids love veggies and the only processed stuff I allow are potato sticks and chips as a treat.
Otherwise - all is the same. We go to bed on time - etc. I have learned the hard way my kids just cant function off schedule. Some children are more flexible - mine are not.

Same goes for purim - my little ones dont even know there is stuff that goes on the night of purim - They play purim day - we go to an early seuda and make it home in time for bed.

I may be a party pooper - but at least I am not a wreck of a mom and my children arent a disaster.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:12 am
Luckily my kids are flexible. They are off school so I don't mind if everyone goes to bed and gets up a bit later every night. Seder night they stay up until they can.

We don't buy junk food on pesach (minhag, not choice) so kids eat lots of fruit, real food, milk and cream. I spend a lot of time cooking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics