Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you eat home made Misloach Manos from your friends?
1  2  3  4  Next

Do you eat home made Misloach Manos from your friends?
Yes  
 57%  [ 107 ]
No  
 6%  [ 13 ]
It depends  
 35%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 186

blueberries

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:44 pm
If a friend of yours sent you Mishloach Manos that had home made food would you eat it? Is Kashrous an issue?

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:48 pm
Kashrus isn't an issue but I wouldn't eat it unless family or very close friends made it. Otherwise I'd be grossed out

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:50 pm
nah I don't trust hands or margarine ... What

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:52 pm
It depends who. If I would eat from their kitchen then I would eat their MM.

momX4

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:54 pm
it depends on who I think made it. If its food/muffins.. I assume the mom/adult made it and we eat it. If its a candy decorated cake, sorry, but it gets dumped.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:55 pm
Yes, but I have cut back on what I make for others, because I hate to think of putting in tons of work, and then people may be throwing it away. So I can understand why you are doing the survey.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:57 pm
I would eat any real food sent by a friend, provided it met my kashrus hakpados.

heidi

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 1:59 pm
I never never never eat other people's hamentashen--that is too much "hands on" work to make it palatable to me. When friends send salad or soup or dips I definitely eat them. Anyone who is close enough to send me mishloach manot (instead of just relying on the community list which gives to everyone who participates)-- means that I am close enough with them to trust their kashrut.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:03 pm
Every year it's something I agonize about, for certain ppl

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:03 pm
Yes, if I trust their kashrus (and I usually do) then I would eat home-made food.

animeme

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:05 pm
heidi wrote:
I never never never eat other people's hamentashen--that is too much "hands on" work to make it palatable to me.

If you have seudah with friends and they serve their handmade hamentaschen, would you eat them? Does the same apply to something like homemade rugelach? Also, are you makpid on this for your kids too?

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:06 pm
heidi wrote:
I never never never eat other people's hamentashen--that is too much "hands on" work to make it palatable to me. When friends send salad or soup or dips I definitely eat them. Anyone who is close enough to send me mishloach manot (instead of just relying on the community list which gives to everyone who participates)-- means that I am close enough with them to trust their kashrut.

please, everyone, send me all your hamentashen. Dancing

ven

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:18 pm
No I do not . I have these hygiene isdues and find it very yuckie . U never know what really happened with the food...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:33 pm
Yes, emphasis on from my friends (not from my acquaintances necessarily).

notme

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:38 pm
If I trust their kashrus and I do trust my friends so yes. but it needs to be labeled clearly who it is from if I don't know who it is from I throw out.

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:47 pm
ven wrote:
No I do not . I have these hygiene isdues and find it very yuckie . U never know what really happened with the food...

Of course you never know what happened with the food at the bakery or the factory, either. And even if you make everything from scratch, you never know what happened with those ingredients.

Shabbossong

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:59 pm
heidi wrote:
Many people, myself included, use disposable gloves generally when touching food directly.

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:14 pm
We eat home made. I can understand hesitating if the person might have very different Kashrus standards, ex not chalav Yisraeel.

But, I also hesitate to make things that people will throw out.

About hygeine, I agree with Barbara, you can just as well worry what went on in the factory or pizza shop kitchen etc. I got nervous the other day when ordering food when the worker blew his nose into a handkercheif.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:19 pm
I eat anything that comes my way (why would a stranger send me MM?)

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:21 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I eat anything that comes my way (why would a stranger send me MM?)
rofl! That emoticon is adorable!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics