Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Which dips would you like to get?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 4:24 pm
Still haven't decided which dips to put in my mm. What would *you* like to receive? Will be sending challah as well.

smss

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 4:42 pm
eggplant dip
olive dip
tomato dip
techina

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:19 pm
I don't go for dips, but tomato dip is never a good idea to pass out. Plenty of people do not like tomatoes, many are allergic, and there are so many "styles" that it's hard to find one that is going to please a variety of individuals. I think that if I were passing out dips I would choose one with a reliable, consistent taste.

smss

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:21 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I don't go for dips, but tomato dip is never a good idea to pass out. Plenty of people do not like tomatoes, many are allergic, and there are so many "styles" that it's hard to find one that is going to please a variety of individuals. I think that if I were passing out dips I would choose one with a reliable, consistent taste.

these points are more true of tomatoes than any other given thing?

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:24 pm
smss wrote:
these points are more true of tomatoes than any other given thing?

Yes, I would never serve a salad with tomatoes inside because I know that a handful of the guests will not like tomatoes (and avoid a salad because of them). Of course techina is probably a bigger no no in terms of allergies, but more people are allergic to tomatoes than to olives or eggplants. Also, different tomato dips do not have a consistency of flavor at all whereas eggplant dip and techina will taste like eggplant dip and techina basically all around. Tomato dips can range from hot and spicy to watery to orange to red to sticky to bland to everything in between. Of course everything can, but if you follow a standard recipe, most dips will taste how they are intended to taste, whereas tomato dips will not.

smss

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:26 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Yes, I would never serve a salad with tomatoes inside because I know that at least 30% of the guests will not like tomatoes. Of course techina is probably a bigger no no in terms of allergies, but more people are allergic to tomatoes than to olives or eggplants. Also, different tomato dips do not have a consistency of flavor at all whereas eggplant dip and techina will taste like eggplant dip and techina basically all around. Tomato dips can range from hot and spicy to watery to orange to red to sticky to bland to everything in between. Of course everything can, but if you follow a standard recipe, most dips will taste how they are intended to taste, whereas tomato dips will not.

huh.
I love tomatoes.
never noticed that! Tongue Out

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:28 pm
smss wrote:
huh.
I love tomatoes.
never noticed that! Tongue Out

I went back and changed 30% to a handful because I just used the number 30% to mean a good number of individuals. I have noticed individual after individual say no to tomatoes, so maybe it's a social/cultural component?

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:32 pm
I never make salad without tomatoes.

Generally, if people don't like a vegetable they can not eat it.

having said that I don't like olives so that means 30% of people don't like olives. So leave the olive dip out!

I don't really go for dips but whatever you think is good. People like chatzilim dip. (grilled eggplant pureed with mayo)

gmgv

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:13 pm
Chummus

kb

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 7:13 pm
dill dip

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 8:21 pm
humus and olive tapanade

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 9:15 pm
I never heard of many people not liking tomatoes. If anything I would think that about eggplant and maybe olives. But I like them both.

I would even add a matbucha as a suggestion. But maybe not too spicy because not everyone likes spicy. Although my family loves spicy.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 9:25 pm
Wave

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 9:37 pm
Hummus. Prepackaged from a brand name (e.g. Sabra, Tribe)

smss

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:37 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I went back and changed 30% to a handful because I just used the number 30% to mean a good number of individuals. I have noticed individual after individual say no to tomatoes, so maybe it's a social/cultural component?

Smile I wasn't picking on the 30%, just saying in general, I never noticed that a lot of people don't like tomatoes...I bet it is a cultural thing. I mean, in israel salad means tomatoes and cucumbers...that's just what salad is! then again, tomatoes in israel are REALLY yummy. the ones in the US don't compare.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:48 pm
If you're sending them my way, please send babaganoush, olive tapenade, matbucha and caponata.

loveandpeace

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:51 pm
Eggplant
Dill
Tomato dip
Olive dip
And put me on ur mm list.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 5:05 am
salt water and charoset

alef12

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:36 am
I give mini jams (packaged for food service) with my rolls to avoid the question of what dips everyone will eat. People have very different food preferences. I, personally can't stand eggplant or olives. Some people don't like tomatos, are allergic to sesame etc... what does that leave, plain mayo? LOL

One year I gave mini butters instead of jam but I never repeated because I wanted people to be able to eat the rolls at their seudas if desired. Even though the rolls are 100% parve (and labeled so) and the butter was wrapped separately people were nervous/asking questions.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:48 am
Over time cook has a really good and easy roasted red pepper dip.
Dill dip is also really good.

Just might be a good idea to label each dip if you weren't planning to do so already...
And it sounds like a great mm!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics