Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What gift did u give for s/o that took your child for 2 wks
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

behappyeveryday

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 5:15 pm
I had a baby and sent my son to a friend for two weeks. How much is normal to spend and any ideas I'd what I can give is appreciated.

el2cg

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 8:01 pm
A gift from Sabon or bath and body works...diffuser, hand soup, bath products. .. ($50-$75)

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:33 pm
2 Weeks? I've heard all of the stories about sending your kids out to different families when you give birth, but for 2 weeks??? Is that the norm? I thought it was for a couple of nights!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:38 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
2 Weeks? I've heard all of the stories about sending your kids out to different families when you give birth, but for 2 weeks??? Is that the norm? I thought it was for a couple of nights!

Sadly, it is the norm in some circles. Some people even send to complete strangers. I find it terribly sad. Poor kids. As if a new baby is not upheaval enough in their little lives. Sending a 2 year old to a stranger for 2 weeks? To the kid, that amount of time is an eternity. Pretty much the same as if their parents died.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:43 pm
Have a trophy made for your friend. She deserves it. I don't think I would take any of my friends' kids for 2 weeks straight, and I like to think I am a kind and giving person.

loveamerica

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:46 pm
Yes, two weeks is the norm. I gave 75.00

Good luck!

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:50 pm
75 is very cheap in my very humble opinion. ask around at what pp pay for such a service, its alot more. I would ask how much and give that with say package of nice chocolates and thank you card. she needs alot of cleaning help that will help her recover. its just my opinion. how I would feel. but I would never take someones 2 yr old kid for 2 weeks

loveamerica

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:52 pm
No, cuz usually you give it to s friend or family and they don't do it for the money.

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:59 pm
loveamerica wrote:
No, cuz usually you give it to s friend or family and they don't do it for the money.

Right, they do it as a form of insurance, so this mother will take their two year old when they have another baby.

I would not give money. Anything you give is paltry, unless you gave to a professional babysitter, who would likely charge you upwards of a thousand dollars for the two weeks. $75.00??
I would buy something that I consider a nice gift. Spend how much you think it appropriate.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:01 pm
I bet extra cleaning help would come in handy this time of year. And be a nice middah k'neged middah after an extra kid.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:08 pm
If it's a family with kids sometimes an expensive toy is appropriate (like magnatiles - if by chance they don't have it yet...)

Ladies, in some circles having your children stay with other families is the only practical way to keep having children. Let's see, two days at the hospital, a week in a Mommy and baby convalescence place, two days to unpack and settle in, and we are at almost two weeks.

I think imamother needs a new rule: indicate which community you're from to get answers that match those standards.

And I've never gotten gifts for hosting nephews. I would be highly insulted (and pressured to respond in kind when my turn came). As Maya said, it's an unwritten contract that we help each other out.

It takes a village, and all that.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
If it's a family with kids sometimes an expensive toy is appropriate (like magnatiles - if by chance they don't have it yet...)

Ladies, in some circles having your children stay with other families is the only practical way to keep having children. Let's see, two days at the hospital, a week in a Mommy and baby convalescence place, two days to unpack and settle in, and we are at almost two weeks.

I think imamother needs a new rule: indicate which community you're from to get answers that match those standards.

And I've never gotten gifts for hosting nephews. I would be highly insulted (and pressured to respond in kind when my turn came). As Maya said, it's an unwritten contract that we help each other out.

It takes a village, and all that.

I'd love to be pampered in those circles. The purpose of life isn't to keep having children if it means sending them out for weeks on end to have another multiple times. The older kids are entitled to have a mother too. Sheesh!

ETA: I don't mean I'd love to not see my kid for two weeks. That would hurt. A LOT! I'd never be able to do that to my child (for the sole purpose of having another child that is...if lifes circumstances made it an absolute necessity that's obviously a different story).

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'd love to be pampered in those circles. The purpose of life isn't to keep having children if it means sending them out for weeks on end to have another multiple times. The older kids are entitled to have a mother too. Sheesh!

Let's not do this, please...

We may differ in our views on life's purpose, but children are rarely damaged from being in a safe environment away from their mother for two weeks at a time, once in (average) 18 months. People leave kids behind to take business trips and vacations, and many people have nannies or other strangers caring for their children while they build a career.

Everyone is "entitled" to lots of things. Has it ocurred to you that the mother is entitled to some recovery time, and that mommy and baby are entitled to some bonding time?

The older children go through a few weeks of upheavel, and they settle down into routine again. Why so judgemental?

loveamerica

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:27 pm
U make it sound like u giving them away for good, just two weeks do the mom can get to herself.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
Let's not do this, please...

We may differ in our views on life's purpose, but children are rarely damaged from being in a safe environment away from their mother for two weeks at a time, once in (average) 18 months. People leave kids behind to take business trips and vacations, and many people have nannies or other strangers caring for their children while they build a career.

Everyone is "entitled" to lots of things. Has it ocurred to you that the mother is entitled to some recovery time, and that mommy and baby are entitled to some bonding time?

The older children go through a few weeks of upheavel, and they settle down into routine again. Why so judgemental?
older kids shouldn't be excluded from this bonding. Help the mother at home. Get a nanny or night nurse but an 18 month old shouldn't have to deal with a two week separation from mommy.

loveamerica

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:32 pm
Not the end of the world, Ur overdoing it.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:34 pm
loveamerica wrote:
Not the end of the world, Ur overdoing it.

To the kid it is. Two weeks is long enough to forget parent or lose any trust in parent. Can also get super clingy cuz don't know when they will disappear again. Your responsibility is to the kids you have not the ones you don't that you can't handle.

loveamerica

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:43 pm
A two year old won't forget anything.

2ringsnow

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:44 pm
Maybe get her a gift card to a linen store ? I would say min 150$

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 11:15 pm
So you really don't see your older kids at all in those 2 weeks?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics