Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
MEN LACTATING

das

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 6:29 pm
http://mentalfloss.com/article.....ctate

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 8:35 pm
OMG shock

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 8:37 pm
Totally depressing considering that I'm a WOMAN and have been incapable of producing any where near enough milk for any of my many children. Sad

Eta: sorry, I posted before clicking the link, I had just assumed you posted this article:

Male lactation has, in some cases, commenced without hormonal treatments as well. Extreme stress combined with demanding physical activity and a shortage of food has also been known to cause male lactation. The phenomenon was first studied in survivors of the liberated Nazi concentration camps after World War II. Some American POWs returning from the Korean and Vietnam Wars also experienced male lactation. What's more, this article was published in The Mercury newspaper on October 30, 2002:

[quote]COLOMBO: A 38-year-old Sri Lankan man, whose wife had died three months ago, appears to have the ability to breastfeed his two infant daughters, doctors said on Wednesday. The man, from the central town of Walapone, lost his wife during childbirth.

"My eldest daughter refused to be fed with powdered milk liquid in the feeding bottle. I was so moved one evening and to stop her crying I offered my breast. I then realised that I was capable of breastfeeding her," the man admitted.

Dr Kamal Jayasinghe, deputy director of a Sri Lankan government hospital, was quoted as saying it was possible for men to produce milk if the prolactine hormone became hyperactive.[\quote]

abaker

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 8:39 pm
Wow...

LEsheva

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:44 pm
Certain medications have side effects of increased prolactin - leading to milk production - plus gynecomastia, where the man develops woman-like features

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:24 pm
I don't understand why it would be any more "gross" than a woman nursing the baby.

I think it's absolutely wonderful, amazing, and can be a real gift in an emergency. Hey, let HIM wake up for the 3am feeding, while you catch up on some sleep! Sleep

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 10:33 pm
Funny that you put this in the Purim section without mentioning the medrash that Mordechai nursed Esther when he took her in as a baby it was a nes...
There is also a mention in the gemara about a woman who died in childbirth and the husband could not afford a wet nurse, but Hashem made a miracle and he was a lousy to nurse the baby.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 7:14 am
Yes. By some animals, too.

Interestingly I remember learning that among animals living in packs, where there are always other gals around, it doesn't happen, but among those in smaller groups or couples, it does because it may be needed.
Hashem knows what he does.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics