Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Vegetarians
1  2  Next

Are you vegetarian?
Yes  
 18%  [ 8 ]
No  
 81%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 44

miriam

Post Wed, Oct 06 2004, 1:37 am
Any vegetarians out there???

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 02 2004, 2:33 am
No I am not but I do need vegetarian recipes for guests I am having over!

miriam

Post Tue, Nov 02 2004, 5:41 pm
Have you ever heard of seitan? I have some recipes for that.

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 02 2004, 6:32 pm
no but I would still like the recipes Smile .

miriam

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 12:36 pm
Sorry for the delay in replying. Ever hear of pot pie? Well, there's a recipe for seitan pot pie. Seitan is made of wheat gluten and is flavored with tamari or BBQ. It looks like pieces of meat. This recipe tastes great with the BBQ style. Lightlife makes it. I hope you can find it.
Saute onion. Salt pepper garlic. Add two packages of seitan, cut into small pieces first. Add chopped carrots, frozen peas. Let that cook for a few mintues. In a measuring cup, put 1 1/2 cups water, 2 TB soy sauce, garlic powder, sage, salt and pepper about 1/2 tsp of each. Mix and then add 2 heaping TB corn starch. Put in pot, then add 1 1/2 cups of soy milk. Boikl together till it gets a bit thick. Then mix altogether in casserole pot, (2.5qt?)
Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes. You could put the whole thing into a pie crust instead but I do it this way because we are sort of counting calories in our house. It tastes great with out it.
Hope it comes out good.

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 4:34 pm
I am going to try it Exclamation thanks amillion Smile

Sunshine

Post Mon, Nov 08 2004, 2:38 pm
Have any other good ideas for dinner(veg)?

miriam

Post Tue, Nov 09 2004, 11:01 pm
Do you have any particular ingredients in mind? I cook with tofu and a lot of the meat substitutes.

Sunshine

Post Wed, Nov 10 2004, 6:13 pm
Tofu. I am not veg but I don't like chicken or fish(only red meat), so I like to vary suppers(milchig,chicken,fish,veg,meat).

miriam

Post Sun, Nov 14 2004, 2:33 am
I used to make more elaborate meals with tofu but I recently found really easy recipes. Drain the tofu, place it in a strainer, put a plate over it. Then put some sort of weight on top of the plate to get the water out of the tofu. Let it sit for a couple hours like that. Cube tofu and marinate it in soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Pour 1/4 - 1/2 cup wheat germ into a food storage bag then add tofu. Try to put just the right amount of soy sauce so you don't have any extra liquid during this step. Add the marinated tofu to the bag and shake. Pour tofu onto baking pan. Bake 350 until it gets a bit crunchy. About 20mins. You could make sticks instead of cubes. I hope it comes out good.

Yosefa

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 11:21 am
Do you stay veggie through Pesach? Any ideas?

proudmommy0f4

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:54 pm
That marinated tofu recipes sounds really good! I've got to try that. We aren't veggie, but I do like having veggie meals as part of the rotation Smile I've got a good stuffed squash recipe that's really good for Pesach, if anyone's interested, I'll look that up - the original calls for apple stuffing, but it's even better with charoset inside! (Of course that calls for making extra charoset, because there's no such thing as leftover charoset...)

carrot

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 12:54 pm
just thought I would share - you can drain tofu quickly by cutting into slices, sprinkling salt on, wait a few minutes, and then squeeze/press with towels or paper towels. you can do this more than once if you want it dryer.

this is for firm tofu - never tried it with other kinds.

carrot

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 12:56 pm
might as well give the rest of the recipe (which I am enjoying right now):

saute slices of tofu - preferably in single layer but can be doubled a bit - in olive oil. cover the pan so it does not splash and make a mess. when bottom is a crispy brown, flip and fry a few minutes more.

eat with salt, pepper, and soy sauce.

deedee

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 3:18 pm
my mother does that but sautes (olive oil & tamari sauce) the tofu with sliced mushrooms and sliced onions. the onions give it a really good flavor, it comes out delicious!
we are into tempi now. it comes in alot of diff flavors. I crumble it up in to a frying pan and saute it with cut up tofu hotdogs in olive oil. the I add an egg to the frying pan mix it all together. makes a great breakfast-my baby loves it!

lucy

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 7:44 pm
Sorry I love my steak too much to give it up! LOL

But I do use tofu often bc I like to have a variety throughout the week.
Here is a recipe for you:
1 pack of firm tofu cubed
onion and a few cloves of garlic chopped
tomatoe sauce
salt, basil or oregano
either frozen peas or a bag of spinach

I saute the onion & garlic in a little olive oil, then add the tofu for 1-3 min.
add the peas or spinach & tomatoe sauce covered, let cook for about 10 more min. then shut the fire and keep it cover for another 5-10 min.

eliana

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 11:54 am
I'm a vegetarian - however I'd like to be a vegan I try hard but every time I go to visit frends and family - they make a vegetarian meal to me, and it is so kind.... I just can't tell them that I want to be vegan! They have prepared it with love, so I eat vegetarian food Smile
At home I'm 99% vegan and it gives me feeling of purity..... (dear meat eaters, I do not mean that you are impure Wink )

Sunshine

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 1:30 pm
What is the difference between vegan and veggitarian? I thought it is the same.

eliana

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 1:43 pm
Vegans do not eat any animal 'based' food. The term 'Vegetarians' actually means the same, however many people call vegetarians those who do not eat meat and fish but eat dairy products and eggs.
For more information browse the web Wink

Sunshine

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 1:45 pm
Live and learn!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen