Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Teudat Yehudi

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:51 am
IS there such a thing as a Teudat Yehudi and if so, what is?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 3:03 am
amother wrote:
IS there such a thing as a Teudat Yehudi and if so, what is?
in terms of what? in connection to what? to prove someone is jewish?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 3:14 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
to prove someone is jewish?

Yes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 3:19 am
amother wrote:
Yes.
I dont think there is such a thing. anywhere. to prove your jewish you either would show parents ketuba or a conversion certificate or things like that. What else would there be?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 3:21 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont think there is such a thing. anywhere. to prove your jewish you either would show parents ketuba or a conversion certificate or things like that. What else would there be?

The Jewish Agency and the Rabbanut may also accept a written affidavit from a known rabbi that he knows you to be Jewish, whether or not you have a copy of your parents' ketuba.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 3:28 am
Thank you for the replies :-)

So Teudat Yehudi is a general term for a document which proves I am Jewish? I have a conversion certificate and a ketubah, I was just hoping there would be something which said I am Jewish without saying I am a convert.

mille

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 6:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I have a letter "certifying" my Jewishness written by a specific rabbi and signed by a bunch of other rabbis. My great grandparents died in the holocaust, and my grandmother intermarried (as well as my mother), so I have no ketubot or anything like that. I have other random records but nothing like that, so before marriage I had to gather all the 'proof' and then get this letter written. I honestly have never used it, and my mesader kiddushin really just suggested I do this so we don't have issues down the line when I have kids.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 1:57 am
If I ever came across a thing, I would have to be physically restrained to prevent me from correcting it to "teudat yehadut"

Last edited by imasoftov on Wed, Mar 11 2015, 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 6:50 am
It is called a teudat yahadut. The Beth Din of America does this all the time. Usually for Aliyah or for people getting married in Israel. 2128079042

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 8:51 am
Very common in Europe. We call it certificat de judaité en France.
You need eidim, and they do inquiries in the kehilot, lehavdil cemeteries... your family was around.
You may need it because ketubot were lost or non existent (secular weddings), because they are from unknown pre war or North african rabbis, because they are a bit weird through most probably good (written in French or Arabic)...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions