Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Do you let your children go on sleepovers? - interesting ar
Previous  1  2

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 10:39 pm
I don't know... But there was nothing in that article that seemed even remotely convincing to me....

mazal555

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 8:52 am
1) I don't really trust anyone who is not close family or whom I have not known well since childhood with my kids.
2) Molestation is a factor
3) Especially for girls. My father always said that nice Sephardic girls don't sleep outside their father's or another relative's house until they marry, and most of my friends' fathers were the same. Yes, my father was old-fashioned, but he was usually right. I believe the Ben Ish Chai said something to the effect in Kanon l'Nasa, stating that if you become uncovered in your sleep in a stranger's house they will be less likely to re-cover you and more likely to laugh at you, but I am going from memory so please check this.
4) I don't think sleepovers encourage the family as a unit, rather than each kid go hang out with their respective friends. I think my kids belong with their family for meals and bedtimes.
5) I don't see where the potential benefits outweigh the potential drawbacks.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 8:55 am
My grandparents never let. They found it odd, like the kid has nowhere to go, and didn't want to reciprocate. Actually my grandmother wasn't even allowed to eat anywhere as it looked "hungry".
My own parents let. I plan to let, if it ever becomes a thing in our circle or if we move etc. I am not especially always afraid of people. That said I'll have to know them well and "feel" the sitch.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 11:13 am
I am OK with sleepovers if the kids are old enough. I would say about 11 or 12. I also need to know the family somewhat.

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 11:57 am
mazal555 wrote:
1) I don't really trust anyone who is not close family or whom I have not known well since childhood with my kids.
2) Molestation is a factor
3) Especially for girls. My father always said that nice Sephardic girls don't sleep outside their father's or another relative's house until they marry, and most of my friends' fathers were the same. Yes, my father was old-fashioned, but he was usually right. I believe the Ben Ish Chai said something to the effect in Kanon l'Nasa, stating that if you become uncovered in your sleep in a stranger's house they will be less likely to re-cover you and more likely to laugh at you, but I am going from memory so please check this.
4) I don't think sleepovers encourage the family as a unit, rather than each kid go hang out with their respective friends. I think my kids belong with their family for meals and bedtimes.
5) I don't see where the potential benefits outweigh the potential drawbacks.

Approximately 60% of boys and 80% of girls who are s-xually victimized are abused by someone known to the child or the child's family (Lieb, Quinsey, and Berliner, 1998). Relatives, friends, baby-sitters, persons in positions of authority over the child, or persons who supervise children are more likely than strangers to commit a s-xual assault.

IOW, the people whom you trust are the people most likely to molest your kids.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 6:00 pm
Barbara wrote:
Approximately 60% of boys and 80% of girls who are s-xually victimized are abused by someone known to the child or the child's family (Lieb, Quinsey, and Berliner, 1998). Relatives, friends, baby-sitters, persons in positions of authority over the child, or persons who supervise children are more likely than strangers to commit a s-xual assault.

IOW, the people whom you trust are the people most likely to molest your kids.

THIS.

I'd love to know the statistics of children molested at sleepovers vs. the number of children molested while at school.

Somehow, I don't see a huge home schooling movement starting any time soon. Scratching Head
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics