Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Please I beg you turn off your music!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:10 pm
dear wonderful neighbor across the street.
it is now 11:05 PM
you have huge speakers blasting music on your mirpeset-porch
no one wants to hear it! no one wants the kids downstairs dancing all night. It was very hard for me to keep my kids inside and put them to sleep.
I now have a huge headache and your music is still pounding.
Why do you think I want to hear your music blasting outside every purim. WE DONT
You annoy everyone ever year.
PLEASE STOP

devash1

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:33 pm
I can really empathize with you, it's so loud her with boys outside screaming and loud fire crackers, when did Purim come to this, it's so sad, it makes me really not look forward to Purim, I hope your neighbors stop soon, so you can get some sleep

SplitPea

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:48 pm
Really? It's purim! I have young kids as well but if people cans play music, sing dance drink etc on purim then when?!?

Any other day if the year maybe... But purim? Comeon...

bookie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:51 pm
SplitPea wrote:
Really? It's purim! I have young kids as well but if people cans play music, sing dance drink etc on purim then when?!?

They are welcome to do it but not while disturbing others. The same holds true for lag baomer

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:56 pm
For two years on first night of chol hamoed sukkos the shul right next to me had a party and the music was blasting as loud as possible until 1 or 2am !

Anon because I've complained about it before.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:58 pm
On Fourth of July ( and the say before and days after) my kids are kept up with fire works, on new years the neighbors have loud parties till aom round 1am,

Noise happens. It's Purim. Get a noise machine and be happy these loud holidays are only a few days a year

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 6:21 pm
When I first became frum, I remember going to a bar mitzvah where the music was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. The boys were running around like maniacs, bumping into people, and basically being unbelievably wild.

I complained to a friend, and she said "You know, I used to think like that. Then one day I realized that around 60 years ago, there was this guy in Germany who wanted to make sure that Jews never made any noise ever again. So now I say B'H there are Jews that annoy me!"

That really put things in perspective for me. Of course we have to have basic mentchlecheit, but on the other hand, when it's a simcha, we should really make an exception and celebrate our survival!

Being annoyed by noise is a totally normal feeling, but silence would be terrifying.

Dina_B613

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 6:41 pm
It's nice to give dan l'chaf zechut - but what if SUPER loud noises trigger migraines for someone in her neighborhood? Or an insomniac neighbor? Yes, it's Purim - but we still have to be considerate. It's never a mitzvah to annoy your neighbor.. and you have no idea how many weddings I've had to leave early because my head was POUNDING...

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 7:08 pm
SplitPea wrote:
On Fourth of July ( and the say before and days after) my kids are kept up with fire works, on new years the neighbors have loud parties till aom round 1am,

Noise happens. It's Purim. Get a noise machine and be happy these loud holidays are only a few days a year

l'havdil I can tolerate once a year fourth of july firecrackers. But one summer my non-Jewsih Italian neighbors popped firecrackers ALL summer long at the oddest times startling everyone. I was beyond MAD. But one day? you learn to live with it. chol hamoed sukkos sounds like yuck. Are these neighbors noisy in general or do annoying things and this is the straw that breaks the camels back??

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:28 pm
Totally empathize ! I live around the corner from a yeshiva and one motzei shabbos the boys were blaring music till after 2 am. We put in a noise complaint- nothing happened. Exploding anger
It is really not mentslich to play music after a certain hour.
anon bec I discussed this irl as well.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:14 pm
Anon as I discussed this IRL. Please be considerate. Some of us have babies trying to sleep. Some of us are chronically/seriously ill c"v and need sleep. Some of us have to work on Purim! Same for lag baomer- I have had college and work during both times and my neighbors had a huge bonfire (for lag baomer), blasting music, screaming songs etc all night long. Outside. On a residential street.
Exploding anger

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:22 pm
I live across from a cloister that does this outside sermon and singing thing ALMOST EVERY NIGHT ALL SUMMER ON LOUDSPEAKERS!!!!
At least in the summer, it gets hot, so windows are closed with the ac on. My bedrooms are in the back so a little further, but my neighbors across the street have their windows overlooking this nightly event in a tent!

It's mind boggling how they get permission for this and they are right near a police station.

As much as I don't like when there's loud music disturbing all night, I'll take yeshiva bochurim on Purim, simchas beis hashuava and Lag Baomer any day over these nightly loud sermons and singing!

Anonymous as my whole area knows about this.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 1:12 am
SplitPea wrote:

Oh? And what about the old lady on the 3rd floor who escapes from her chronic pain only when she sleeps, and whose pain is now being extended because she is being kept awake? Or the new mom on the ground floor who gets hardly any sleep as it is and needs every moment of shuteye she can possibly snatch? Or the middle-aged man on the fifth floor who has to work on Purim, driving a bus or a train or operating heavy equipment--or doing emergency surgery--and will literally endanger other people's lives if he does not get enough sleep? How would you like it if YOUR kid needed emergency surgery on his shift after he was kept awake by inconsiderate neighbors?

There is no valid reason to keep the celebrations going long into the night. There are more than enough hours during the day to indulge in all the music, singing and dancing one wants.

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 1:34 am
I'm with OP. My neighborhood becomes hefker on Purim and I hate it. Seriously, where are the parents of these children shooting cap guns, playing loud music and I suspect, drinking, till 2am???
Fun is fun, but after 11pm is time to have the fun inside with the windows shut so that neighbors can go to sleep!

QUEENY

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 9:24 pm
I totally agree with op.
When I moved to my new house across from a shul., the music was playing and fireworks until 1-2 am. I could not sleep. It ruined my Purim day the next day. I could hardly function. I had to run around delivering shelach manos, megillah, make a Seudah..it was so unfair...not to mention we have plenty of non jewish neighbors who already hate us in the neighborhood.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 8:36 am
some seem to be overgrown teens

imokay

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 9:11 am
Playing loud music at an unreasonable time of night, imo, is selfish. The party people are effectively saying, my needs to party and dance and be happy are more important than your needs to sleep/put your kids to sleep/be healthy, etc.

Partying and waking the neighbors and being inconsiderate are not the misvot.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 10:12 am
While I agree with OP and other posters that this is very wrong, if you can't stop it (and don't need to worry about hearing kids crying during the night); please try sleeping with earplugs -- they work wonders at blocking out even loud noises.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:22 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
While I agree with OP and other posters that this is very wrong, if you can't stop it (and don't need to worry about hearing kids crying during the night); please try sleeping with earplugs -- they work wonders at blocking out even loud noises.

Yes, but I have missed many an alarm because of earplugs... How will I get to the Megillah on time? Work?

Dina_B613

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 4:21 pm
If you ask them to turn the music down and they don't you, you can call the police. Not the nicest option, but if they're warned ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette