Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Re-piercing earlobe - Poll Added
1  2  Next

Would you/have you repierced?
I would go to a tattoo parlor  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I would not go to a tattoo parlor  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I would just forget it & wear clip-ons/screw-backs  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I would go to a dermatologist  
 100%  [ 1 ]
Have no experience/opinion  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:44 pm
Anyone with experience of this? Had my old piercing sewn up because it was looking stretched out.

After several months I am allowed to have the earlobe pierced again. Do I need to find someone who really knows what they're doing, so they avoid the scar tissue yet produce a piercing that looks more or less properly centered?

As a girl my Mom took us to a dermatologist for this. Of course nobody does that now, they just have it done by some random lady at Claire's or your local frum jewelry store.

But in this case, would you be concerned to get the best person? And how do I go about finding that out?

***** added August 4 **** Please help me decided what to do!!!! (Because the opinion of a bunch of anonymous strangers is really going to help me decide!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:47 pm
Why would they have to avoid the scar tissue? It is true it will be harder. And therefore harder to get through, maybe. The jewelry store people who do this a lot probably know the most about it, because of their familiarity. They may have seen your situation before.

musicmom

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 6:01 am
Oh my goodness! My ear piercing also got stretched and I haven't worn earrings for 10 years. I have a few questions!

Does insurance cover your earlobe being sewn up? Was it expensive? What does your ear look like? Is the scar big? Was it worth it?

TIA Confused

tzila

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 8:32 am
I do ear piercing in a frum jewelry store. Part of my training involved learning how to avoid scar tissue, yet getting as close to the original placing (if it was properly centered) as possible.
You may want to try an upscale tattoo/piercing parlor where they may have even more experience.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 8:46 am
musicmom wrote:
Oh my goodness! My ear piercing also got stretched and I haven't worn earrings for 10 years. I have a few questions!

Does insurance cover your earlobe being sewn up? Was it expensive? What does your ear look like? Is the scar big? Was it worth it?

TIA Confused

I also have the exact same issue, and I look forward to your comments and suggestions. It has been years since I've worn pierced earrings and the clip ons just are not for me. They are too tight, or fall off too easily. Help!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 10:46 am
Those who are curious - I heard different opinions. I think my local dermatologist said you have to wait a year to re-pierce. And he charges $100 for an initial consult and then around $475 for the repair, or it might be per stitch. I don't remember for sure.

I ended up going to a local PA who's an expert in laceration repair. Many people had told me she does amazing work.

She charges $425. And she says I can re-pierce in 3 months. She also said I could wear clip-ons as soon as it felt pretty much healed. So far I only wore them once to a simcha.

What I had was not so much a stretched out piercing - at least, I don't think so. It looked more like a long dimple with the piercing within it. There is still a very slight dimple there. When I went back to the PA, she said it's very much improved. Did you think you'd get perfect? Only the One Above is perfect! Anyhow once I wear earrings it won't show much at all.

It was bit painful for a day or two after the stitching, nothing I couldn't handle with Tylenol. If I press on it, it feels a little funny. I went back to check & she said, yes, you have a little scar tissue, massage it a little every day. You can also apply Vitamin E or one of those anti-scar creams, I think. I'm using a flower essence called walnut.

I did have to keep it dry for 24 hours, and take "quick showers" for another few days.

I am so glad I finally did it (well, I'll be even gladder when I can wear earrings again!). I haven't worn hooks or wires for years because I thought it looked so ugly. I still won't be able to wear anything big or heavy, but I wouldn't anyhow.

Those of you considering it - I say, go for it!

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 1:14 pm
according to my sister, who really knows about this stuff... I'm gonna echo the poster who said a tattoo/piercing place, but it should be clean, certified, and re-pierce with a needle, not a gun.... that's very important. guns are just not as accurate, and there are organizations that certify these places, so make sure they have proper certification.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 5:29 pm
tatoo / body piercing does sound like the best place because they are very detailed with their work

also, I would think the same place would be less apt to tear again because of the scar tissue [then again I'm not expert]

musicmom

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 7:00 am
Did they have to rip you ear lobe and then sew it, or could they just sew up the hole? Do your ears still look even?

tweety1

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 7:42 am
musicmom wrote:
Did they have to rip you ear lobe and then sew it, or could they just sew up the hole? Do your ears still look even?

They don't have to rip it again. But in order for it to be able to grow back they have to make a few cuts to make it into a wound.

musicmom

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 8:32 am
Should I contact a dermatologist or plastic surgeon?

singleagain

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 11:46 am
musicmom wrote:
Should I contact a dermatologist or plastic surgeon?

This sounds like a job for a plastic surgeon...

Where are you, maybe we know good ones?

tweety1

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 2:17 pm
Plastic surgeon

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 2:51 pm
I asked my PA how you sew up a piercing since the original piercing is healed.

She said obviously, we have to open up the skin. If you sew your fingers together they will still not grow together!

However, depending on the situation, I think most dermatologists do this pretty regularly.

Mine wasn't torn, it just looked stretched out. Though I'd say that lobe now feels a little puffier than the other. But it's only about 6 weeks ago.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 3:05 pm
Yes, please, all those reading who've had good experiences, list who did your repair, type of practitioner and location!

amother

Post Sat, Mar 07 2015, 1:18 pm
My daughter had to have her earring holes sewn up twice, because it ripped after the first time. The first time, it was done by a plastic surgeon. He did not cut through the earlobe, and actually sewed it with an earring in the hole. After it ripped, we decided to wait to redo it. My daughter is now 16, and we just had it fixed by a PA, who has a lot of experience with this procedure. It cost $500! It is not covered by insurance. I also looked into doing it at NYU. A resident will do it. It is a little cheaper, but after factoring in gas/parking, I decided to do it locally instead. So far, very happy with the results. I made sure to have an "expert" repierce the ears after they fully healed. Good luck!

amother

Post Sat, Mar 07 2015, 8:39 pm
Quote:
I made sure to have an "expert" repierce the ears after they fully healed.
Please tell us where you're located, and who your expert was, and how you found him/her?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 12:31 am
Sorry, but I don't know if this will help. I live in Israel. I did some research, and found someone who has been piercing for over thirty years. Was recommended to a friend after a similar incident.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 7:15 pm
Anyone here know someone very good in or near Lakewood?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 1:20 am
There is a PA in Lakewood who specializes in stitches/laceration repairs. She is excellent. I don't remember her name (sorry!), but maybe someone else here does.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics