Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Cheap good moisturizer for combination skin?

abound

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 5:53 am
I need to get a good moisturizer for combination skin. I want something that is good that is as cheap as possible.
What do you use with good results?

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:53 am
For night or day? Noxzema. For even cheaper, get the store brand. But don't use it on eyelids because the aromatic vapors may make your eyes sting. I also like St. Ives creams in the big jars. I use that on eyelids for daytime; it is nice and cool and non-greasy.
By day I use CVS SPF 50 zinc oxide sunblock and need no further moisturizer summer or winter.

abound

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 12:27 pm
okay I am terrible (and really embarressed) but I do not use moisturizer daily, just a couple of times a week. Until a few months ago, I had great skin and did not bother. Now my skin def needs moisturizer and I have red blemishes all over my face. I have no idea where to start. I did not even realize that I should put on for night and day...........

d l

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 12:29 pm
I love my moisturizer- I have sensitive skin and this is the best!
Nutragena oil free

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 1:33 pm
abound wrote:
okay I am terrible (and really embarressed) but I do not use moisturizer daily, just a couple of times a week. Until a few months ago, I had great skin and did not bother. Now my skin def needs moisturizer and I have red blemishes all over my face. I have no idea where to start. I did not even realize that I should put on for night and day...........

Blemishes can be caused by many things such as not washing your face properly; using a moisturizer that is too greasy and occlusive for your skin type; frequently touching your face with fingers that are not too clean or frequently using a phone or other none-too-clean device that touches your face . Not to mention hormonal surges, so if you recently started using hormonal BC or switched to a different one, that may be the cause.

Depending on your skin type, you may not need moisturizer every day, despite what the beauty mags say. Sunblock, yes. Every day. If your sunblock leaves your skin sticky and greasy-looking, blot the shine with a tissue after applying, dust lightly with translucent powder, baby powder or cornstarch, then brush off the excess powder with a clean blusher brush. Unless you use alcohol-based sunblock, the vehicle for the sunblock will double as moisturizer. DO NOT USE AROUND EYES as it will ge into your eyes and sting like anything. Wear sunglasses to protect your eye area from the sun.

Are you sure you have "combination" skin and not just oily skin? Most people's T-zone is oilier than their cheeks, but that does not mean they have combo skin. Eyelids are going to be drier than T-zone or cheeks, but if you have very oily skin, your lids may have sufficient oil and not need moisturizer, either. Certainly not by day. A light, nongreasy moisturizer like St. Ives will be more than enough at night, not because you need it right now but to get in the habit for when you are older and do need it. One cue: do you have fine lines around your eyes? Not expression lines but very thin dry-looking lines when you look very closely in the mirror. If yes, you need moisturizer. If no, you can skip it.

What makes you say your skin needs moisturizer? Yes, in winter you might need something to protect your skin from the cold and wind. If you use a thick sunblock cream that may be all you need, since the largest part of your skin is oily. Your skin is probably weatherbeaten if you have been going out in the cold and wind with a naked face. Cover your face in a warm scarf when you go out in the cold. Those red blotches may be windburn, not blemishes. Wash in lukewarm water, not hot. Pat dry rather than rub. Soothe the red blotches with the simplest unguent you can find. Plain dumb salad oil works great, olive oil is a classic, and baby oil usually has a nice fragrance. All are greasy so you might want to use these at home at night, not in public. If you see the blemishes get worse, lay off the oil and try Noxzema instead. Be aware that Noxzema stings irritated skin.

BTW It is unrealistic to expect to use a single product on your whole face if you have genuine combo skin. Either it will be too oily for your oily parts or too watery for your dry parts. You may need to moisturize only around your eyes and nowhere else. If you are quite young and use sunblock every day--this really is a must, wish I had known this in my misspent youth--you may need to moisturize only around your eyes and possibly only in winter. As you get older and your skin gets drier, you would start moisturizing more often and other parts of your face. You will know when you need it as your skin will no longer be shiny a few hours after washing, and it may start to feel tight or uncomfortable after washing. It is a myth that oily skin needs a moisturizer. What do they think the oil is for? If your skin turns shiny by midday, you do NOT need a moisturizer on the shiny parts.

abound

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 6:31 am
zaq! Thank you so much for this detailed post. I am trying to figure out if I have dry/combination or oily skin. I am looking things up online and reading your post but I am still unsure.
Either way I will try to get some sunblock...........
Thanks again!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:29 am
abound wrote:
I need to get a good moisturizer for combination skin. I want something that is good that is as cheap as possible.
What do you use with good results?

This one is great
http://www.drugstore.com/neutr.....20896

youngishbear

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:34 am
I second neutrogena for cheap but great products.

mommy1108

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 1:03 pm
It's not super cheap but Aveeno face moisturizer is great for my combination skin! I love it. It's like $13 a bottle

abound

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 5:21 am
Okay so I Need a water based sunblock that has a moisturizer in it. Any ideas?
Oh, and I do not have combination skin, just dryer skin with some oil spots on the side of the nose.

papermageling

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 8:39 pm
I love Cera Ve moisturizer. The type in the tub is good for combo facial skin, as well as everything else. The type in the pump is for when your skin is like the sahara. I've used Curel on my hands with some success, and Vanicream is pretty much free of anything that might irritate your skin. My favorite cheap hand moisturizer is the one in the big pump bottle at Trader Joes though.

hinenimuchan

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:30 am
I have similar skin to OP. Never considered any daily skin routine until a couple of months ago, when I noticed deepening "expression lines" that I believe are due to age-related collagen deterioration. I am 50+.

So, I too started researching and the consensus of slightly older women and medical sites was that the most inexpensive and effective thing is to keep skin healthy, using sunblock -- even before your skin starts to age and even when indoors out of the sun -- and moisturizer. However, I have concerns about both that I'd like to share.

Regarding sunblock, I already have a Vitamin D deficiency, as does virtually every woman who covers body and head for tznius reasons and spends very little time in the sun, even if she drinks enriched milk. I only learned that from a doctor when he found my deficiency on a routine blood test and informed me. I did not follow up on that until after my bones became prematurely brittle, at which point I researched Vitamin D and found out that it is critical for bone strength, boosts immunity and may help fight conditions including certain cancers.

Naturalistic sites suggest that sunlight is the most effective source of Vitamin D. Of course there are few if any studies that prove that, because who will fund them if there is no product to sell? But it makes sense that Hashem provided us with a safe way to get Vitamin D naturally. Yet, the atmospheric ozone layer was better then...

So for now I personally have decided not to use any form of sun protection unless I am going to be in the sun for more than 15 minutes. In fact, I will make an effort to sit for about that long once or twice a week at a sunny window where no casual observer could see me, without sunblock and with much more relaxed tznius than my standard, FOR HEALTH REASONS. Either way I go, there is a risk of some form of cancer, so I feel more comfortable slightly increasing the risk of skin cancer, which, I believe, is more easily detected early and treated. I prefer to get a small amount of natural Vitamin D, even if it causes my skin to age slightly more than it would if I constantly wore sunblock.

For sun exposure between 15 min. and the point where I might start to burn, I will wear BB cream on my face, which is a low SPF sunscreen (mine is 15) mixed with a moisturizer that is tinted to cover imperfections. I think BB cream is designed to be worn basically any time you are not having major sun exposure necessitating a higher SPF, even indoors; but, like I indicated, I feel that I need what little sun exposure I get on most days, unprotected. I will make a strong effort to wear high SPF sunblock (or at least BB cream) for intensive or prolonged exposure (I used to actually try to burn slightly for color and the pleasant warm baking sensation, and still desire to do that, although I know better now).

As for moisturizer, my nose area gets oily, which I hate (Thanks to Zaq for the suggestions on that). The dryness of my face is not something that bothers me...it is just a newly discovered possible esthetic issue. Hence, I am reluctant to risk making other parts of my face look oily.

Rather than facial moisturizer, I have started using Clearasil Daily Cleanse Face Wash Sensitive, and I love how soft and smooth it makes my face feel, while adequately doing its main function of cleansing and removing oil. Once it is sudsed with water, I even swoosh it over my gently closed eyelids, and quickly rinse it well before rinsing the rest of my face or opening my eyes. No discomfort for me. With it, I feel (and think I look) moisturized adequately everywhere but perhaps around my eyes. When I am ambitious, I put a touch of Neutrogena Deep Moisture night cream around my eyes, and it seems to make the area look a little smoother and brighter (younger) and to allow makeup (on the rare occasions when I wear it) go on more smoothly.

I do not usually wear makeup, but as part of this new effort I have occasionally worn, and really like, Revlon Colorstay Aqua Mineral Makeup. It is a powder. If you put it on lightly it does not really show, so it can be applied very quickly. It feels damp when you put it on, and even after it dries so you don't feel damp, your face continues to feel moisturized. Since it is a powder, it controls the oil in my nose area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics