Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Metal Scrap removal - do you know anyone that removes scrap

heimishmom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 8:36 am
Im cleaning out a apartment and need someone that canremoves scrap metal from my apartment- like metal bed frames
Stove , frigidaire etc.
Im in Brooklyn NY - pls let me know if you have a # of someone that removes these for free.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 8:45 am
why would anybody clean out your apartment for free ?

CatLady

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 9:21 am
Did you try craigslist?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:58 am
I do have a number if you want, but you don't even have to bother with that.

1. NYC sanitation takes bulk metal garbage if you put it out on Mondays. (Thursday is for bulk garbage made of anything but metal.)

2. If you put out large scrap metal Sunday evening in preparation for Monday morning pickup, it'll likely be gone by the morning! Scrap metal scavengers go up and down the streets looking for it, especially on Sunday evening, but I've had stuff disappear any day of the week.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:59 am
greenfire wrote:
why would anybody clean out your apartment for free ?

Scrap metal can be sold, if it's heavy enough (or if there's copper or other expensive metals) it's worth it for them to pick it up and shlep it over to the scrap yard.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 11:23 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Scrap metal can be sold, if it's heavy enough (or if there's copper or other expensive metals) it's worth it for them to pick it up and shlep it over to the scrap yard.

sure it can be sold - but it's still taking advantage of people to move it ... they don't get all that much so even so - you need to pay someone to move them out of your house - what they do with it doesn't matter

or you can throw it outside by the garbage & a scrapper will come & get it ...

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 1:58 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

We had a huge amount of metal when we sold our house (big heavy stuff like a safe and all metal desks, etc.). We found some junk scavengers to take it (here in Chicago they patrol the alleys regularly) which they did, but we had to pay them something like $75-$100 as they had to hack it apart and haul it away. It was very worthwhile for us.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 6:20 pm
We recently demolished an old office building that we owned, we had a few different people contact us to see if they could haul away the scrap metal. None of them were planning on charging us, it was worth it for them for the value of the metal. We picked the one who seemed the most trustworthy and it worked out great.

Unfortunately for the op I'm not in Brooklyn, so I have no advice for you.

bobeli

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:20 pm
anyone know someone frum that does it in brooklyn?

President

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 5:38 pm
Anyone in brooklyn that removes metal scrap for free? unfortunately sanitation does not remove bulk items and appliances anymore.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:00 pm
President wrote:
Anyone in brooklyn that removes metal scrap for free? unfortunately sanitation does not remove bulk items and appliances anymore.

General Bulk
https://portal.311.nyc.gov/art.....01969

Refrigerators
https://portal.311.nyc.gov/art.....01792
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics