Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can you discipline a 1 year old?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 6:38 pm
I have a very active 15 month old. He runs everywhere and naturally does things that are less than safe. However, he does not understand the concept of "no" yet. He will climb up on a chair that he can easily fall off of, I will take him down explaining to him that we don't do that and then he thinks that we are playing a game and will happily climb back up. This is just an example, but it occurs in many other instances as well.
How do I teach such a young child to not do something?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 7:05 pm
I allow my children to learn natural consequences.
For example: the oven is hot. The hot water tap makes hot water. So when toddler wants to touch, I say "HOT, no!" Some learn quicker than others, but my 12 month old already knows what hot is.
Climbing up a chair/table/etc. I say "BOO BOO, no!" After a few near tumbles and scares, the child learns that mommy knows what makes boo boos and I don't have an issue with it.

Even running in the street is not a problem, (once they are walking). Children know that when mommy says "boo boo, no!" that they had better stop or it will make a boo boo. No child likes boo boos.

Basically the method that works for me is allow the child to feel the natural consequences of their actions, without getting hurt.

dr. pepper

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 7:56 pm
Children learn by repetition. That's why he'll happily go back after you've told him no.

Therefore, I try limit my no's to like...1 or 2 things max at that age.
And then repeat...consistently for about 40 times Wink Eventually they get it.

I love the above amother point of avoiding the no altogether and simply connecting another sounds like booboo or hot.

I have found that with enough decibel level and facial expression, they get it.
But after about 40 times:)

In general, distraction is the key method of discipline (if you can even call it that) at this age.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 8:13 pm
I wouldn't worry about it. He will get it all eventually. His language isn't organized yet so of course he has no idea what you are talking about. And males learn language later, too.

And he is used to being picked up so he thinks it's normal. It is normal.

This dragging winter has him stir-crazy; I would just make sure he doesn't hurt himself and let him do most of what he wants to do.

15 months is not quite toddler, 2 is toddler, this is basically a large mobile baby still. You may be expecting too much.

He mustn't be alone for a second however.

A play pen might be useful.

Have his father throw him around to tire him out.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 8:18 pm
Remove and redirect with a positive activity. I do not believe that natural consequences are appropriate at this age because it can ch'v be dangerous and honestly redirection is just as effective and provides a child with a positive outcome and behavior.

busydev

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 8:26 pm
I would recommend reading the happiest toddler on the block by dr harvey karp. your shpiel about it not being safe is going right over your toddlers head. Discipline means to teach, not to punish and you def can teach a 15mo.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 5:04 pm
The best way (in my opinion) is to say a firm but quiet "no" and remove him (or alternatively, the object if possible), without eye contact or further talking , and without any facial expression. As another poster said, you may have to do it many, many times. But not getting an emotional reaction out (no eye contact, no emotion, no lecture) of you will reduce the excitement of it and he will eventually give up. At that age, the best you can do is baby proof as much as possible.

Also, many 15 month olds do understand the word 'no' and just ignore you, specifically because it's hard to enforce discipline at that age, thye have no reason to listen. Definitely choose a discipline method (as a different poster said, discipline = teach, not discipline = punishment), an stick to it, he will eventually get it.

I also recommend the book 1-2-3 Magic- you can start using it with kids as young as 18 months and it has some great techniques. My daughter responded to it fantastically and could stop herself from doing what she wasn't supposed to before she even turned 2 years old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics