Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Is this estimate high?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 4:56 pm
I called merry maids to clean my walls, floor and behind the stove and fridge - the area is clean I just want a good scrub down lekavod pesach. I have a 1 bedroom apt with no dining room - just a kitchen, bedroom & bathroom. bedroom barely fits two 48 inch beds and a nightstand, kitchen has only cabinets and a small table & 3 chairs. I also want them to scrub a window with goo gone that had some tape there. the estimate I got was $150-$250. it sounds like a lot of money considering it would probably only take 30 minutes to 1 hour top. is it the normal estimate or does it sound like a lot to you? if I just hired them for the hour it is 85 for 2 women but don't know if they would do the walls then. I'm super confused what do ya'll think? this is in ny

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
I called merry maids to clean my walls, floor and behind the stove and fridge - the area is clean I just want a good scrub down lekavod pesach. I have a 1 bedroom apt with no dining room - just a kitchen, bedroom & bathroom. bedroom barely fits two 48 inch beds and a nightstand, kitchen has only cabinets and a small table & 3 chairs. I also want them to scrub a window with goo gone that had some tape there. the estimate I got was $150-$250. it sounds like a lot of money considering it would probably only take 30 minutes to 1 hour top. is it the normal estimate or does it sound like a lot to you? if I just hired them for the hour it is 85 for 2 women but don't know if they would do the walls then. I'm super confused what do ya'll think? this is in ny

You think that it would only take 30 minutes to move your stove and refrigerator, clean the walls, floors and surfaces behind them, replace them, clean additional walls and floors, and wash a window?

I think that you're lucky to find someone who will move appliances. I think that the estimate is reasonable to low.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
You think that it would only take 30 minutes to move your stove and refrigerator, clean the walls, floors and surfaces behind them, replace them, clean additional walls and floors, and wash a window?

I think that you're lucky to find someone who will move appliances. I think that the estimate is reasonable to low.

No, they will not move the appliances. I will do it and it will not take longer than 30 minutes tops. You're saying that $150.00/hr is a low estimate to wash walls and floors? If you think it's low then I understand it. Please realize that my kitchen is 5 feet by 8 feet and has tile on one side so no wall to wash...
the only walls to wash are the hallway on one side which is 5 feet long tops and our bedroom which is MAYBE 10 feet by 10 Feet.. as for the floors the bedroom has carpet so that does not need to be washed.
BTW the area behind is clean since I clean it approx once a month anyways the walls as well.

2ringsnow

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:07 pm
Wow that's a lot ! Most cleaning ladies charge about 10-15 $ an hour ...

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
No, they will not move the appliances. I will do it and it will not take longer than 30 minutes tops. You're saying that $150.00/hr is a low estimate to wash walls and floors? If you think it's low then I understand it. Please realize that my kitchen is 5 feet by 8 feet and has tile on one side so no wall to wash...
the only walls to wash are the hallway on one side which is 5 feet long tops and our bedroom which is MAYBE 10 feet by 10 Feet.. as for the floors the bedroom has carpet so that does not need to be washed.

Shrug. If you can do it in half an hour, then why on earth are you hiring someone? It sounds like its going to take a whole lot longer to me.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:15 pm
amother wrote:
Shrug. If you can do it in half an hour, then why on earth are you hiring someone? It sounds like its going to take a whole lot longer to me.

I'm hiring someone because it is before Pesach and it's like a treat to have the commercial chemical smell.
Every Thursday evening I clean my apartment and it takes 1.5 hours max: I'll tell you what I do.
I vacuum underneath beds - and the mattresses. I wash the baseboards and vaccuum the carpet. I wipe the walls and ceilings gently as well as the nightstand. I clean the shelves in my closet and put back the clothing. I clean the bathroom, including full scrub of the toilet, bathtub, and surrounding tiles. I wash the bathroom floor and wash the one window int he bathroom my bathroom is 6 feet by 5 feet. I wipe the walls and clean the baseboards. I clean the floor in the hall/kitchen. I clean all countertops and the table which is 2 feet by 3 feet and and I clean my hot water urn and microwave and oven and stovetop. I wipe down the sinks and the walls and ceilings. I scrub the floor. and also before I dust everything. I have never spent more than an hour and a half by myself. all I want here is the floors and the walls there is no way in the world that it can take longer than 30 minutes - 1 hour if you shmooz and sit around for a little. I have no idea how you are reaching an idea that it will take longer to wipe walls of a bedroom that is 10 x 10 feet if even and a kitchen that is even smaller and wash floors of only a kitchen, bathroom and entryway and not the bedroom bec. it is carpet. where are you calculating your time/

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:21 pm
It's high, but it's probably the bare minimum that they charge. I'd go with the $85/hour if you're certain it should take less time, which it sounds like it will rather than accept the $150-$150 estimate if that's an option.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:22 pm
2ringsnow wrote:
Wow that's a lot ! Most cleaning ladies charge about 10-15 $ an hour ...

It's not a cleaning lady. it's a company that sends cleaning ladies to a home with supplies and they clean what you want. they can do regular cleanings or just walls if you want.

2ringsnow

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:24 pm
So because they use their supplies it's that much more ?! My cleaning lady also cleans whatever I ask her to

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:25 pm
2ringsnow wrote:
So because they use their supplies it's that much more ?! My cleaning lady also cleans whatever I ask her to

I'm so confused one amother thinks its low and you don't!!! I was thinking of paying much less. maybe I should just find a cleaning lady to do it but then it won't have the commercial chemical smell. but the problem is that no one would give me a cleaning lady for a day now before pesach.

2ringsnow

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:29 pm
ask your friends and neighbours if they can spare u an hour or call an agency. Maybe u can go out and buy commercial detergents lol

bookie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so confused one amother thinks its low and you don't!!! I was thinking of paying much less. maybe I should just find a cleaning lady to do it but then it won't have the commercial chemical smell. but the problem is that no one would give me a cleaning lady for a day now before pesach.

Afaik no cleaning lady will come for less than five hours especially this time of year. This is probably a minimum you are being charged otherwise its not worth it to them.

2ringsnow

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:30 pm
Do those cleaning people use special machinery too ? Like pressure washing ?

amother

bookie wrote:
Afaik no cleaning lady will come for less than five hours especially this time of year. This is probably a minimum you are being charged otherwise its not worth it to them.

A regular cleaning lady would cost $60 tops for 5 hours. I would gladly pay that. this is merry maids and their min is 1 hour. they fill up so they are constantly busy.

amother

2ringsnow wrote:
Do those cleaning people use special machinery too ? Like pressure washing ?

no.

2ringsnow

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:31 pm
Right but if they are in the area some of them don't mind two hours. U gotta ask

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 6:42 pm
you can't decide how long it will take them to clean if they're the ones cleaning ... you also cannot decide how much they should charge

you can decide not to hire them ... you can decide to clean it yourself ... you can go buy some chemicals if that smell makes you happy

personally I would rather have things actually clean than just smell clean ... which is what a lot of cleaning women do - they spray the dirt & push around the mess

there's a wide choice of products out there to get the commercial odor

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP.....Zc6bz

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spr.....Zc6bz

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Goo.....Zc6bz

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 6:55 pm
Cleaning agencies tend to be very expensive. If that's what you're looking for, though, the price sounds normal for an agency. A regular cleaning lady would be cheaper, but it doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 10:37 am
Wow your home must be so clean!! And you really work quickly- it would take me hours to do all the cleaning you do!
Not being sarcastic- I'm really amazed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry