Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Making Aliyah in the middle of the school year.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 12:26 am
Our plans for making Aliyah are finally coming together. It seems unlikely that we'll be ready to move this summer, so we're considering moving in December.
Only one child will be in school, the rest in gan or home with me. How difficult will it be for a child to switch schools mid year? Has anyone done it? The dc is 5 and speaks only very basic Hebrew.

hila

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 2:07 am
I would say that it depends on where you are moving to. If it is a place which has schools with small classes and there will be no problem registering the kids for school or gan, then it may work.
However you might want to think about waiting for the beginning of next summer. Use the time to improve everyone's Hebrew. Find a rental where you want to be, maybe even do a pilot trip.

Or plan to come this year - but register NOW for gan and school, then go back and sort things out.

In any case - hatslacha

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 2:50 am
I know people whose Aliyah chanukah time and it was very hard to get their kids into school/Gan in the middle of the year. BH everyone got into a good school but all 6 kids were home for a month doing nothing.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 3:08 am
5 years old is before kita aleph, so thats at least good. I think that if you really can not get here before december, thats already missing aat least 3 or 4 months of school. I would have a lot of fears for that child. It will also be hard to make friends, once children have made connections in class.
I also think it depends on where you move to. If you move some place where there are other children who speak english, that can at least give your child some feeling of something known.

Not the best idea at all, but since it is befoer kita aleph, maybe not so bad.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 3:43 am
I wouldnt do it. But I guess it also depends on dc´s personality and ability to adjust. It´s not easy to arrive once the rest of the class is settled, especially if it´s a new language etc. R u gonna send dc to a hebrew school?

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 3:57 am
It might not be so bad. Kids at that age are less cliquey than older kids.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:07 am
That would be the age of gan chova. Not missing major material that she doesn't already know. Also gan is a great place to learn language, there isn't the pressure to understand lecturing. Unless it's a super clicky group, they are accepting at that age.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:10 am
Dolly1 wrote:
I wouldnt do it. But I guess it also depends on dc´s personality and ability to adjust. It´s not easy to arrive once the rest of the class is settled, especially if it´s a new language etc. R u gonna send dc to a hebrew school?
Are there really english speaing gan chovas around? I highly highly doubt it.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Are there really english speaing gan chovas around? I highly highly doubt it.

1. yes, there are english speaking gan chovas.
2. maybe she is sending to yiddish speaking

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:22 am
Dolly1 wrote:
1. yes, there are english speaking gan chovas.
2. maybe she is sending to yiddish speaking
there are? where? never heard of that. I thought such ganim, specific language ones, ended at age 3. intersting. good to know. a friend was looking a few years ago for that. I didnt know it existed.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:30 am
As the others said, it depends on what your DS is like. If you do decide to go ahead, maybe try to set up some kind of contact with the gan he'll be going into. If the ganenet is good, she may consider building a while project around welcoming in the oleh chadash. DS could draw pictures and send photos to the kids there and vice versa, and he could 'teach' them about what he's doing to prep for the big move, and the ganenet can reinforce it all - incoming of the exiles and all that. Our local ganenet would for sure go for that, but she is super special. He could start by sending them little things from where he is now, and also a photo project so he won't be a stranger when he arrives. Maybe the ganenet could even make sure there's a place for him at one of the tables with his photo on the chair. By the time he arrives, they'll all feel like they know him and he'll have a warm welcome.

5 is still very young, the sooner you come the better imo. I wouldn't put off aliya to time it with the start of the school year. Also, if you're moving to an area with other olim, there may well be new olim arriving the sart of the school year after you've already been there several months. He'll be so far ahead of them in terms of his integration.

It's also very common for new olim who arrive at gan age to repeat a year, so if he's arriving half way through gan chova, he might stay down for another year of gan chova to be ready for school. There's no social stigma to this like there may be in chu'l, and much better for the kid to be ready.

Perhaps also find out what the gan is teaching in those first 3 months. I know in our local chova, they work their way through the alef bet, so you could do that with him before you arrive so he has learned the same as the other kids by the time he arrives.

I think at this age so much of the kid's success in aliya has to do with the vibes the parent gives. If you show that you're anxious and worried he'll feel that. But if you dress it all up as the most exciting thing ever to happen in the world, he'll be psyched and ready.

B'hatzlacha, and welcome to a wonderful new life in the Holy Land!! There's honestly NOTHING like it.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:31 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
there are? where? never heard of that. I thought such ganim, specific language ones, ended at age 3. intersting. good to know. a friend was looking a few years ago for that. I didnt know it existed.

there is the english speaking school (bnos hadassa). and there is a private one on ezras torah (sheva agassi). assuming ur talkin about girls schools.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:35 am
Dolly1 wrote:
there is the english speaking school (bnos hadassa). and there is a private one on ezras torah (sheva agassi). assuming ur talkin about girls schools.
is this in jerusalem? I dont actually know what area you are talking about.
And no, this friend was looking at coed chaei chova. Its not even relavant anymore. This child is now in kita gimmel.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
is this in jerusalem? I dont actually know what area you are talking about.
And no, this friend was looking at coed chaei chova. Its not even relavant anymore. This child is now in kita gimmel.

yup. jerusalem Wink

mandksima

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:13 am
If the choice is mid year or waiting until the next year, I don't see why anyone would advise to wait. The earlier the better and for a young kid, it won't be any easier to pick up the language after time and another half of a year earlier aliyah is beneficial at that age. The amother who posted about repeating a year - definitely a possibility and a great suggestion. No need to rush into kitah alef before the language is comfortable. Some kids pick it up easier than others, there is no way to know how they will do so coming sooner is better.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 10:32 am
He'll be in Kita Aleph or Gan? If it's Kita Aleph maybe hold him back in gan. It's very popular here unless he was born the first few months. I think he'd have a very hard time catching up with reading since most kids can read by Chanuka.

About coming mid-year in Gan and younger. I've actually heard it's a plus. The first day of gan the ganenet has 30-40 new kids. Everyone needs help that first day (less in gan chova but the younger kids cry). The ganenet has a hard time giving your new oleh help that first day of gan. By December gan is running like clockwork and the ganenet really has the time to give extra help to your child and has a feel of which other kids will click well with him

mandksima

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 11:22 am
Sanguine wrote:
About coming mid-year in Gan and younger. I've actually heard it's a plus. The first day of gan the ganenet has 30-40 new kids. Everyone needs help that first day (less in gan chova but the younger kids cry). The ganenet has a hard time giving your new oleh help that first day of gan. By December gan is running like clockwork and the ganenet really has the time to give extra help to your child and has a feel of which other kids will click well with him

Very good point! NOTHING happens here before the end of Sukkot anyway.

chani8

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 5:06 am
That's a perfect time to make Aliya.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 12:43 pm
I would think if the child stays with the parent(s) and slowly gets into the new language with outings, and/or goes to a homeschooling family, it can be mega beneficial
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions