Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear infection and mastoiditis

mammala120

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:41 pm
My 2 yar old had unfortunate ear infection which spread to his ear lobe and around it. We not sure if there are any internal involvement. He did receive IV abx (vancomycin) and also UNICEF for 72 hours given every 6 hours and now home on oral augmentin abx
He did not have fever. His swollen and bulging ear back in its place although looks a little stretched out. Are we out of the woods?
I can't stop worrying. I feel like failure as a mother. The doctors advice CT scan with contrast and sedation during hospitalization. We agreed but it was not performed because resident messed up by giving adivan and my son had neg effect of it.
Ent dr said there is only 5% chance that something might be still hiding behind ear which has healed ear drum and no puss by now. He acts normal. Should I take more risks such as radiation , iodine contrast, and sedation vs. risk of 5% that it's not healed inside ch'h

Anyone with experience and what they did and the outcome

Please advice I am loosing my head (I cry everyday from fear)

Also how can I protect and clean his body from all abx. I just got culturall. Is it enoght. And how to dry fluid in ear to avoid tubes???

Thank you

mammala120

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:24 am
Bump

Sob sob

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:56 am
My grandmother's a''h sister had mastoiditis very many years ago. She required immediate surgery to save her hearing, and BH it was successful. As far as my understanding goes, usually doctors will try and treat it initially with strong antibiotics and resort to surgery only if the antibiotics were not successful. How has your doctor advised you to proceed? Mastoiditis is a potentially extremely serious condition and should not be played around with. You should definitely speak to your doctor about your concerns, and even get a second opinion if that will calm you, but do not wait until the infection becomes serious ch'v. Refuah Shalaima

I think that you should do the CT scan. The doctor had no way of knowing how your son would react to the ativan, and cannot be blamed for the adverse reaction.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics