Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How do I get my 3 yo to BM on the toilet?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 5:25 pm
Anon because I'm talking about it everywhere..

B"H B"H B"H 3 1/2 yo ds is ready to potty train. For the past few days, he's been going everywhere (except bed) without a diaper without any accidents. However, he has not made a BM. He is clearly holding it in. He has said a couple of times today that he's going to try to make a BM on the toilet and tries but doesn't go. On Sunday, he had is only accident, but it was a BM in his pants in the bathroom - he must have just almost made it, but made on the floor in the bathroom. Now, I'm sure there is anxiety about it, I just don't want him to hurt himself by holding it in. What do you suggest?
TIA

working hard

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 5:44 pm
My 3 year old who was trained, wet 6 months before was not going BM. He held it in until he had a diaper at night. Once it started giving us problems I put my foot down. His problem was that he had this mindset that it is "too hard" to go in the toilet and no amount of bribes, sittings.. made a difference.
Your experience seems to be different but perhaps mine can help you.
I gave him laxatives so that he would not be able to hold it in and put him on the toilet for 5 minutes every 1/2 hour until he went. It was no fun for one day, but once I broke that barrier it went pretty smoothly from then on. If I recall correctly he had only 1 accident the next day and done.
(The funny part is that my 22 month old also wanted Bubby to say hurray on the telephone. The next thing I know, he had his diaper off, went BM in the toilet and was calling me to call Bubby! Now he is going BM in the toilet but not wet!)
Hatzlacha

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 6:18 pm
Thanks, but I'm not going to use laxatives on my 3 yo.

musicmom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 6:26 pm
You wait for him to pick a prize he can't live without.

With my 3 year old son, he kept having accidents and saying "I don't know how". Until he wanted a Shabbos Tatty kit. I told him if he pooped in the potty 5 days in a week he could get it, and he hasn't had an accident since. He wears the hat every day.

With my daughter, I had her pick the day on the calendar to wear undies. She continued to have accidents in them for a month and I helped her to learn to clean herself until she was ready to do it in the potty.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:24 pm
Yeah. So far, he really wants tzitzis...so I'm having him wait until he makes a bm on the toilet. I just was wondering if there was anything else to do besides wait. I'm nervous that he hasn't made in a couple of days....I don't want it to explode out because he was holding it and then set him back again.

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:35 pm
I dont know what to tell you. I am struggling with a 6 yr old that has encopresis for now. he was diagnosed a couple of months ago. I am not sure its really that. still need a second opinion. I have an older child who I had none of these issues, she was trained for both in one shot and she got it within 2 weeks and then this child has so many issues as far as this goes. what I did learn is that 30 minutes after a meal is the best time to make them sit and sit there for about 15 minutes. that worked when ds was on laxatives. although the lax got him terrible cramps with tears in his eyes. so that didnt work. its interesting that pp use bribes. it didnt work with my son. diff strokes for diff folks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers