Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Preparing a child for OT

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 10:00 pm
My 3 yo will soon be starting OT for SPD (seeking type)

He needs to be told about it a day or so in advance so he can wrap his head around it and transition better when we go. What should I tell him?

With his evaluation I told him that tomorrow he and Mommy will go to a OT gym where there are things to climb on or swings and toys to play with and we will meet with a nice lady and she will play with him. I also showed him a couple you tube videos of kids getting OT.

He was excited to go. When we first went into the room the OT was talking to me and he was making is way around the room, playing with toys, jumping on the trampoline etc. Then she had him sit at a table to do some evaluation exercises and after a few minutes of it he did not want to do what she asked anymore and was uncooperative. He eventually came to me and we were able to coax him to do the finger exercises she wanted him to do by bribing him to go on the swing. She pushed him and he kept moving himself so he couldnt see her. it was one of those square swings and whenever it would turn and he would be facing her, he would purposefully turn himself to the other side. He then did not want to go on the obstacle course with her, but did it with me. In the car on the way home he told me that Katie was a icky lady not a nice lady.

So with that in mind I dont want to tell him the same thing... he will have a different therapist then the evaluater, but im still not sure what I should or shouldnt tell him. Tho I definitely need to tell him something... he will be going weekly for now...

solo

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 10:30 pm
I also like to give my son a heads up bout new things. I usually wait to day of so he not up thinking bout it in bed.
We call it the gym. I told ds that is be taking him to do exercises with a friendly lady. I would stay with him but only he and the lady would do the excercises while I rested in a chair.
And that's what we did. I let the therapist be the boss and handle ds entirely. I was only there to support ds and let him feel secure. I didn't mix in to encourage ds or offer feedback. after the session I'd let him know what a good job he did.
U can let the therapist know ur sons likes n dislikes at the start of the session. I'm sure the first few will be more about building a connection, gaining trust...
Gl

lizard8

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 10:50 pm
From experience, the first few sessions aren't really great. They are usually just good enough for the therapist and child to get to know each other. Once a routine is set, then your child might have an easier time doing the required activities. Good luck, I hope your child does well!

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:13 am
I told DD we're going to a fun place where there are lots of things to play with and the morah there is in charge, so you need to listen to the morah and do what she tells you. And let the therapist take it from there, they will know how to explain to the child what they're doing and familiarize them with whatever they need to know. I would NOT bribe at all but I WOULD (especially because of his apparent opposition the first time) just "happen" to have some treat ready after so the kid will have good associations and want to go back because maybe there will be a treat after. Sometimes I take DD to therapy on the bus, it's a real treat for her. Not always, but sometimes. She should know that sometimes good things happen when you go to therapy Wink And of course the therapist has her own bag of tricks but that won't always be enough, any bribe comes with the chance that the child won't care enough one day... but the general positive association plus the routine that they get into because of it should help.

Definitely don't anticipate issues. kids pick up on that no matter how hard you fake it. "Think good and it will be good" as they say in yiddish which I can't pronounce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)