Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Important Public service Announcement for the under 30 Crowd
1  2  Next

Do YOU Have a LIFE INSURANCE POLICY for DH and YOURSELF?
Life Insurance only for husband  
 33%  [ 28 ]
Life Insurance only for me  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Life Insurance only for my children  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Life Insurance for everyone in our family  
 35%  [ 30 ]
Not Interested in buying life insurance  
 15%  [ 13 ]
Will be exploring options about Life Insurance today!  
 13%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 84

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:00 am
I am directing this specifically to young, newly, recently married AND all married women in general...

PLEASE make sure you have LIFE INSURANCE for you and your husband.

Too many young men and woman have died leaving their young widows and young children- in many cases under two years old with NO money.

THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE that I believe needs to be addressed.

Life insurance is not a HUGE added expense to the family budget but it is an absolute necessity.

My personal suggestion is a million dollar policy but at the very least- $500,000

I apologize in advance for making you uncomfortable or bringing the cheery post Purim mood down but this is very very important and needs to be takes seriously.

In the past year alone so many young married people have passed, from illness- or an unknown heart condition. PLEASE find an insurance agent an begin making inquiries.

Thank You

PS
The reason I didn't include women over 30 in the subject heading is because I am assuming as we get older we become wiser and you ladies already have life insurance policies in hand. IF you don't... then please begin making inquiries. Life is so precious and fragile and that beautiful gift can be gone in an instant.
And NO I do NOT sell life insurance- I am simply a mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend who wants everyone to be healthy, happy and safe.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:04 am
Not all countries or cultures make it this huge necessity.
No reason to kinda attack the "oldies" who are over 30 and don't have it, either.
No, I won't be looking into it "today", and certainly not more after this post.
Is this some ad? some scare tactic?

morah

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:06 am
I would add, BOTH spouses need a policy, even if one is a SAHP. Staying home to raise your kids does not bring a paycheck, but it provides crucial services for free. If you are a SAHM and ch'v something happened to you, your husband would still need to work. Who is going to care for the kids, clean the house, cook meals, deal with appointments and school stuff? Your husband is going to need to pay at least one, if not several, people to do these all these things that you currently do for free.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:09 am
TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

youngishbear

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:13 am
Unfortunately, for many people life insurance is an unattainable option, due to health issues or finances.

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:17 am
Ruchel wrote:
Not all countries or cultures make it this huge necessity.
No reason to kinda attack the "oldies" who are over 30 and don't have it, either.
No, I won't be looking into it "today", and certainly not more after this post.
Is this some ad? some scare tactic?

This isn't "cultural."

Every person should give consideration as to what would happen to her and to her children if her spouse were to die today. A person doesn't believe in life insurance? Okay. So how would that person replace her husband's income and his contribution to the family if he were to die. How would he do the same if something happened to her?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:20 am
We had to to get a mortgage. It's really not much per month. Though it's for both spouses, you don't have that option. (I'm a week over 30, does that count?)

sky

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:16 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Unfortunately, for many people life insurance is an unattainable option, due to health issues or finances.

Regarding the health issues -> this makes it all the more important to get when young (besides that it is cheaper then).

[My friend lost her husband who could not get insured because of a previous illness that he had post marriage, pre-children . After his death she lost everything. Had he gotten insured immediately after they got married it would have saved her so much heart ache and difficulty]

Last edited by sky on Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

asmileaday

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:38 pm
Agree! Or at least join Areivim

chatz

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:07 pm
I want to echo what Sky said - get it when you're younger - when it's cheaper, when it can fit more easily into the budget, and before health issues come up and make it harder or more expensive.

nywife

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:23 pm
You're right this is very important. I haven't done it yet so thank you for the reminder. Can anyone recommend companies to look into?

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:34 pm
if dh smokes would he still be able to get a policy?

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:40 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Agree! Or at least join Areivim

Please look into things before recommending them.
Areivim is NOT life insurance. It's kind of scheme-like. You can pay all they ask but they may not give if you CV need. If you don't have 3 unmarried kids-out of luck. Even if you are a widow with 2 kids under 2. And they arent backed by anything. Who is managing the money? An anonymous group? Who is to say the $$ really goes to a real orphan? And a rabbinical board (again, no names) will manage the collected accounts (with the family and their Rav.... So if they decide not to approve your spending choices? Maybe they decide that the $$ can't go towards braces, therapy (hey! Their parent just passed!!) or something else you think is mandatory.
Plus:

13) In order that the Areivim USA contributors are not overburdened, the Rabbinical Board of Areivim USA has determined that collections will not be undertaken on behalf of survivors of members who were in ill health when they applied for membership. An applicant with a pre-existing significant medical issue may still contribute to Areivim USA by filling out the Program
Registration Form and inserting a desired donation amount per orphan.
Areivim USA also reserves the right to request medical records of a member in the case of his/her passing, to determine whether a fund should be collected.

So after paying for everyone else's kids, they may decide you really don't qualify.
And...
7) Any application found to have false information, or that does not meet the terms and conditions of Areivim USA, will retroactively disqualify applicant from Areivim USA. Past contributions will not be returned.

21) Areivim USA will determine the exact amount of funds raised and distributed per orphan based on an evaluation of the needs of the orphaned child through a set of criteria consistently applied.

THEIR DECISION on how much to give.

morah

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:53 pm
sourstix wrote:
if dh smokes would he still be able to get a policy?

It will be more expensive, but he can still obtain coverage.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:03 pm
In addition to life insurance for both of us, we also have an extremely detailed will, which we update and revise as needed, especially before we travel. I think that's something many young people overlook, too.

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:53 pm
Husband and I have, not the kids-you don't have that option in the poll.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:55 pm
we looked into areivim but it seems heavily focused on marrying off orphaned kids, not on what happens to them until they reach that age. ie they give $100000 per unmarried child and the family live off the interest from that (plus possibly another $100000 for the widowed parent) until they get married and the 100000 is used to marry off the child.

But I don't think it is a scam. We asked someone who belongs to it and he pays out money several times a year. I do believe these families are getting the money and I am sure it is a great weight off a widow or widowers mind that they have money to marry off their kids, plus a little to live on until then.

So we got a regular insurance policy instead. Hopefully we won't ever need it.

shmaichul

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:55 pm
My husband has a million dollar policy, and I have 500,000. We got it after our 2nd child was born. (looked into it after our first just never ended up doing it)

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 3:56 pm
Raisin wrote:
we looked into areivim but it seems heavily focused on marrying off orphaned kids, not on what happens to them until they reach that age. ie they give $100000 per unmarried child and the family live off the interest from that (plus possibly another $100000 for the widowed parent) until they get married and the 100000 is used to marry off the child.

But I don't think it is a scam. We asked someone who belongs to it and he pays out money several times a year. I do believe these families are getting the money and I am sure it is a great weight off a widow or widowers mind that they have money to marry off their kids, plus a little to live on until then.

So we got a regular insurance policy instead. Hopefully we won't ever need it.

I am not saying that real orphans Are not getting the money. But there is no guarantee that any person will get if they are widowed. Eg: in case there is an inheritance or they decide the kid can be self supporting. In other words it's a tzdkah plan- not an alternative to life insurance.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 4:03 pm
I am so relieved tht people are open to a discussion.

EVERYONE should have life insurance.

My husband and I are both VERY overweight so our policies are more expensive- however, we both agreed that it is a necessity NOT a luxury.

Ladies, again I am NOT an insurance agent... I am actually a teacher.

I started this post to remind people that life is a gift and is so fragile. We need to appreciate every moment we have on this planet and make sure our families are not left penniless if C'VS there were a tragedy.

Remind your siblings and friends to take care of their families as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics