Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear infection with mastoiditis

mammala120

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:22 am
My child had difficult ear infection with ear pus that turned into ear swealing (mastoiditis over night. He was treated with IV antibiotics in hospital for 72hrs and now on oral augmenting at home. I have lots of worry and it's killing me. Please help

1. After inflammation of ear that healed. Ear still looks stretched out. Will it stay that way ?

2 in hospital we TRIED to do CT scan with contrast but after resident administered adivan to sedate him he actually woke up and was hallucinating with unsteady gate and anxiety. So CT scan was not done and I refused to do it since they failed and hurt my son. Yet before discharge the dr was encouraging us to do CT scan to rule out any mass that might have formed behind ear and can ch'shalom grow. But it's only 5% this can happen. Said ent dr. Which risk do I take.

3 anyone with experience please. Please advice how it turns out and what to do

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:08 pm
I posted this on the other thread, and I'm not sure which one you're following so I'll post here.

My grandmother's a''h sister had mastoiditis very many years ago. She required immediate surgery to save her hearing, and BH it was successful. As far as my understanding goes, usually doctors will try and treat it initially with strong antibiotics and resort to surgery only if the antibiotics were not successful. How has your doctor advised you to proceed? Mastoiditis is a potentially extremely serious condition and should not be played around with. You should definitely speak to your doctor about your concerns, and even get a second opinion if that will calm you, but do not wait until the infection becomes serious ch'v. Refuah Shalaima

I think that you should do the CT scan. The doctor had no way of knowing how your son would react to the ativan, and cannot be blamed for the adverse reaction.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:46 pm
my DD had mastoiditis when she was a baby. You definitely need to get the CT. An infection behind the ear can quickly spread to the brain. They also put in tubes during the surgery. Get it checked out. Better safe then sorry.

mammala120

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:51 pm
Did ur baby get CT scan with contrast. And sedation. If yes how did it go

mammala120

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:52 pm
Sorry I reported because initially I could not find original post and thought it didn't go through

mammala120

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:00 pm
My son had ear puss drainage with protruded ear. Red ear lobe and swelling in front of ear. He acted normal. After iv abx all cleared up b'h. But dr still recommending CT scan and maringotomy. We are scheduled for 2 nd opinion soon
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics