Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Lunch ideas for husband

southernbelle

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:55 am
I am totally burned out packing lunches for my husband! What are your favorite go-tos? Must be:
Low carb
low or no sugar
doesn't need to be heated

Thank for all your ideas!

nywife

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:59 am
I usually just throw together a salad with grilled chicken, maybe some rice or quinoa on the side. It takes about 10 minutes and he seems to like it Smile

ImaCohen4

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:09 pm
For something fun and different I like to get a bag of small baby peppers and stuff them or cut them in half and make mini sandwichs depending on the quality.

Chicken salad
Egg salad
Tuna salad
If it's not fleishig I add feta cheese

Or I wrap 2 or 3 of the big lettuce sheets up in a paper towel and again he makes his own lettuce wraps with various fun fillings.

I make pasta with very little pasta and a lot of zucchini type fake noodles and then I cover it in all kinds of sauces. Spicy with a little olive oil and seasonings or maybe a fresh made pasta sauce I pull from the freezer and spice it up with black olives and veggies.

Yogurt I make from scratch at home without any refined sugars and I fill it up with fruit.

Home fresh made granola bars

I make my own beef jerky in a dehydrator for long days when he seems to need the extra push but of course it never lasts that long lol

I change things up all the time because I agree it does get old having the same thing everyday and I find my DH is less apt to cheat and have something he shouldn't when I keep his lunch fun and interesting.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:34 pm
ImaCohen4 wrote:
For something fun and different I like to get a bag of small baby peppers and stuff them or cut them in half and make mini sandwichs depending on the quality.

Chicken salad
Egg salad
Tuna salad
If it's not fleishig I add feta cheese

Or I wrap 2 or 3 of the big lettuce sheets up in a paper towel and again he makes his own lettuce wraps with various fun fillings.

I make pasta with very little pasta and a lot of zucchini type fake noodles and then I cover it in all kinds of sauces. Spicy with a little olive oil and seasonings or maybe a fresh made pasta sauce I pull from the freezer and spice it up with black olives and veggies.

Yogurt I make from scratch at home without any refined sugars and I fill it up with fruit.

Home fresh made granola bars

I make my own beef jerky in a dehydrator for long days when he seems to need the extra push but of course it never lasts that long lol

I change things up all the time because I agree it does get old having the same thing everyday and I find my DH is less apt to cheat and have something he shouldn't when I keep his lunch fun and interesting.

Wow you sound like an amazing wife. Seems like so much work

ImaCohen4

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:50 pm
It's honestly not any more work than making a sandwich. I make things ahead and freeze in individual servings. Salads we have made for the week simply because the kids come and go and if the food isn't prepared I find them more inclined to snack and eat up staples I need for the month.

Money is tight so I do everything I can by scratch which initially is some work but after you get started its easy and you always have something tucked away. It's a health benefit as well and as we have significant multiple diagnosis I find it goes a long way towards helping with that.

I use celery and tomatoes ect to stuff with concoctions. My DH likes a hollowed out tomato with quinoa salad ( personally I have issues with how the stuff looks so I can't bring myself to eat it, as ridiculous as it sounds as well as juvenile it reminds me of fish eyes yuck )

I also make my own flour with a variety of grains. I try to choose higher protein choices when making something DH eats as he tends to be a carbaholic.

We do splurge on Shabbat however and anything goes within reason. I've always raised the kids that as Shabbat is the sweetest day of our week so shall we reserve our "sweets" for Shabbat. Can't take that away and I don't really want to , after all I need my chocolate lol.

Roots

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:50 pm
ImaCohen4 - WOW!

ImaCohen4

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:24 pm
Roots Hug

Trust me I'm nothing special. I'm exhausted much of the time with health issues so this is easy for me. Each day I know what I need to make to keep up with supply so nothing builds ahead of me. My kids are ravenous and maybe lazy? If it's not made ahead they just scrounge. I had bought a bunch of chocolate chips before a certain large company changed their supplier and I had to search for a replacement.

I went in search for the dozen bags I had purchased to find 4 missing from my supply. Why? Darling daughter who loves chocolate noshed on them everyday after school because I had run out of their usual snacks. It doesn't pay for me to slack off lol. ( that said I'm more than sure her brother with Crohn's disease joined her but he won't admit it for fear of my lecturing lol )

My best friend and I used to get together once a week and combine our goods from produce hunts and spend hours making salsa or red sauce in quarts and pints and we would split the rewards. This was 23 years ago just before we had our first children. I miss those days when things seemed much less complicated. Gone are the days of women gathering in making provisions for their family.

Be encouraged for all of you who think it sounds hard and a lot of work. It's really not. It's all perspective and planning as well as learning from the right people. We live in a drive through world mentality and it is sometimes overwhelming to think we can turn back the clock and do things how our bubbies used to do them, but we can!!! I promise you

waiting

iamamother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:13 pm
wow! u r making me feel really inferior! ur amazing! im barely managing with just making suppers while being married for 5 yrs with 2 kids...

sitting

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 5:33 pm
I wld give leftover protein from nite bf cut into a salad a cple times a wk. So if its birger or chicken cutlets these can easily be served cut into salad...houmas and riveta with a bag of baby carrots? Just make set menu wld be eaier for u

JessicaR

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 6:14 pm
Tuna wraps. Egg and avacado wraps. I include vegetable sticks and lettuce with all wraps.

Any lettuce concontion type of salad with chicken leftovers from supper cut into strips.

Hummus spread with cut up veggies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen